Recent

Author Topic: Small question about fonts  (Read 10851 times)

molly

Re: Small question about fonts
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 06:08:52 am »
Before you use a library, you have to read the documentation about how to deploy it. Most libraries including GTK, QT and SDL require the programmer to manually provides the runtime files.
Or instruct the user that it depends on these libraries so the user can decide for him/herself if he/she wants to download and install those libraries.

If I'm not wrong, certain versions of SDL now allow static linking, which will make the deployment easier. You may need to learn what is static linking and dynamic linking, and how to do it.
It is possible to statically link in every 3th party lib (you can always use a wrapper). But then some people wonder about bloat.

Writing portable app is an art. It's more challenging but it's fun.
Writing cross-platform apps is even more an art and even more challenging. Hmz, static linking in SDL, how fun that must be to do for certain platforms  ;D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 06:12:16 am by molly »

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 08:06:06 am »
If I'm not wrong, certain versions of SDL now allow static linking, which will make the deployment easier. You may need to learn what is static linking and dynamic linking, and how to do it.
It is possible to statically link in every 3th party lib (you can always use a wrapper). But then some people wonder about bloat.

The problem is, if I remember correctly, the license of older versions of SDL does not allow users to static link the library.

molly

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 08:13:44 am »
@Handoku:
Oops, my bad.  :-[

Yes, you are of course correct. Sometimes a license prohibit from doing as one would like to do. Licenses are sometimes a tricky business.

DiCri

• My goal : Build a game
    • http://manueldicriscito.altervista.org/DinoLand.zip
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 02:42:14 pm »
I have downloaded your game. But it can't run, it said:
This application has failed to start because SDL2.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Before you use a library, you have to read the documentation about how to deploy it. Most libraries including GTK, QT and SDL require the programmer to manually provides the runtime files.

The need to include runtime files is one of the reasons that I avoid to use ready-to-use graphics/game engines. I prefer to write my own using OpenGL (which is installed by default on most OSes). Most the programs I wrote are portable, no need to include extra files, only 1 single executable that can copy and run. Even when it needs extra files (config, data, etc), it will auto generate on its first run.

Writing portable app is an art.
It's more challenging but it's fun.
Yes no problem now i updated the game with dll files bt i have a big problem.. This game works in my computer windows 8.1 64bit and then i tried it in an other pc windows 10 64bit and it doesn't works, like the game doesn't find the images in the Resources Folder and so Halt. That's strange.. Please help
I'm a game developer.. Now studying..
Go download my game:
http://manueldicriscito.altervista.org/DinoLand.zip

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2016, 05:14:48 pm »
I wish I can help. But I don't use Windows and I don't use SDL. You can try to start a new thread asking other for helps.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018