Recent

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Apple Mac Built Application launches but can't use interface  (Read 3850 times)

Gizmo

Hi

I've got a program that works fine on Windows and Linux, but when I run it on the Apple Mac, I can't click on the interface or tab through the buttons. The interface just opens and then I can't use it. Yet when I develop the program on Apple Mac, it works fine. It's the resulting Mac package (the package that gets built by Lazarus via the options in Project Options) set that causes this behaviour.

What might I be doing wrong or what haven't I done that I need to do? Should you wish to see for yourself, the Apple Mac version of the program is available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/quickhash/files
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 04:11:22 pm by Gizmo »

mischi

Re: Apple Mac Built Application launches but can't use interface
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 01:42:04 pm »
The situation, where the program works and not, is not really clear. What does it mean in detail, when you say "but when I run it on the Apple Mac". Double click the application bundle, run it from within Lazarus, start it from the command line, ...

What do you mean by Mac package? Do you mean the application bundle, named *.app, which a Mac user will double click?

Gizmo

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 02:01:25 pm »
> Do you mean the application bundle, named *.app, which a Mac user will double click?

Yes. I can run it using either the app file (double clicking it within 'Finder') or I can launch the binary via the terminal with ./MyProgramName. In either case, it opens, but the interface is unusable. And, as I said, I can however run it via Lazarus during development time on a Mac with no problem just by pressing F9.

If you have a Mac, please go to the link and download it and see if it works. Perhaps then you can see exactly what I mean.

balazsszekely

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 02:22:39 pm »
@Gizmo
After you finish developing an application, you must copy the binary file inside the bundle(into Contents/MacOS folder) and replace the link with the same name, then just double click the bundle. Your project works fine(see screenshot), it's responsive:

Gizmo

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 04:11:08 pm »
GetMem

Once again, you've made my day! Thanks for the pointer. Yes, having rebuilt the application bundle and copying the binary to the subfolder Contents\MacOS and overwriting the 2Kb file that was there with the binary, now it seems to work fine! So for the first time in months I've been able to release a new version of my program (now at v2.6.9.2) in all formats, including Apple Mac. And I've been able to close two tickets that both related to the issue.

If you get time, perhaps you could try downloading the latest application bundle from https://sourceforge.net/projects/quickhash/files/v2.6.9/ just to make sure it works on your Mac still? I'd appreciate it. But regardless, thanks again.

balazsszekely

Re: [SOLVED] Apple Mac Built Application launches but can't use interface
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 09:37:00 pm »
If you get time, perhaps you could try downloading the latest application bundle from https://sourceforge.net/projects/quickhash/files/v2.6.9/ just to make sure it works on your Mac still? I'd appreciate it. But regardless, thanks again.
You're welcome! I will run a few tests tomorrow and report back.

EDIT: Works well(no freezing)! Perhaps you could make the Compare Files button bigger.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 06:55:40 am by GetMem »

Gizmo

Re: [SOLVED] Apple Mac Built Application launches but can't use interface
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 11:23:25 am »
Great stuff!! Thanks man. I owe you a pint.

As for the formatting - that is another bane of my programming life that perhaps we shouldn't get into in this thread, but I find that if I design a GUI in Windows with screen resolution AxA, then copy the project to my Linux machine with screen resolution BxB, and then copy it again to the Apple MAc with Screen Resolution CxC my interface looks different on every one. I have to re-jog the buttons and labels and so on. There's probably something I am doing wrong there as well but my point is that the button you refer to looks fine on Windows (unless you have 800 x 800 res!) but clearly not on Mac.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018