Recent

Author Topic: Install xcode 3.2.6 and clang  (Read 10869 times)

tintinux

• Gestinux
Install xcode 3.2.6 and clang
« on: July 12, 2016, 10:53:47 am »
Hi

I have read that Lazarus 1.6 requires XCode 3.2.6

On my old mac book pro :

-I upgraded OSX to 10.6.8 successfully
-I downloaded a 4.4 Go package, on https://developer.apple.com/downloads/  bundle of XCode 3.2.6 and IOS SDK
-I uninstalled a previous XCode version, and there is more than 20 Go available on disk.
-I tried to install the downloaded dmg (with or without IOS)

The installation fails after 5 minutes, with "unknown error"  and no other message.
I am instructed to ask help to the editor...  but I doubt I will get help on such an old version, that's why I try here...

Xcode looks installed correctly after the error, and xcode.app can be run, but Lazarus still don't find clang.

Any idea ?   (except buying a new mac )

Thanks
Initiator of gestinux, open-source, multi-database and multilingual accounting and billing software made with LAZARUS.

You can help to develop, to make and improve translations, and to provide examples of legal charts and reports from more countries.

Jonas Maebe

Re: Install xcode 3.2.6 and clang
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 10:58:12 am »
Regarding the inability to find clang: it's probably simply not included with Xcode 3.2.6. See http://wiki.freepascal.org/User_Changes_3.0#Default_assembler_for_Darwin.2Fi386.2Fx86_64.2FARM_and_iPhoneSimulator.2Fi386.2Fx86_64 for more information.

rvk

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 11:02:48 am »
I'm totally unfamiliar with Lazarus on Mac OS but as I understand it you need to install the extra "Command line tools" with the "Apple Developer Tools". See the wiki:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/OS_X_Programming_Tips#Installing_Lazarus_and_Free_Pascal

(this should also work with Lazarus 1.6 and XCode 4.3+)

Jonas Maebe

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 11:05:25 am »
With Xcode 3.2.6, the command line tools are installed by default.

rvk

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 11:07:06 am »
Maybe not if you have got an error during the install of 3.2.6. (the fact xcode.app runs doesn't mean it's installed correctly or in its entirely)

But maybe it wasn't even necessary to uninstall the previous version of XCode (and you could have installed the command line tools with that version).

Jonas Maebe

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 11:11:33 am »
Maybe not if you have got an error during the install of 3.2.6. (the fact xcode.app runs doesn't mean it's installed correctly or in its entirely)
There is simply no separate "command line tools" installer for Xcode 3.2.6 or earlier. The first version that packaged the separately was Xcode 4.3. Additionally, as mentioned, Xcode 3.2.6 does not contain clang. The wiki page does not contain any information relevant to Xcode 3.2.x regarding the command line tools.

rvk

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 11:13:29 am »
Then I'm curious where OP read that "Lazarus 1.6 requires XCode 3.2.6"  :)

tintinux

• Gestinux
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 01:53:35 pm »
I'm curious where OP read that "Lazarus 1.6 requires XCode 3.2.6"

Here. Is it true ?

Can I install XCode 4.3 on OS/X 10.6 ?  Or do I need an OS/X upgrade ? 
In other terms, what are the minimal OS/X and XCode versions compatible with Lazarus 1.6 ?

Thanks all for your replies !
Initiator of gestinux, open-source, multi-database and multilingual accounting and billing software made with LAZARUS.

You can help to develop, to make and improve translations, and to provide examples of legal charts and reports from more countries.

rvk

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 02:01:28 pm »
I'm curious where OP read that "Lazarus 1.6 requires XCode 3.2.6"
Here. Is it true ?
If I read that page it says:
Xcode 3.2.6, or newer. With Xcode 4.3 or newer, you should also install the Xcode command line tools as described in the article Installing Lazarus on MacOS X.
On what line exactly does it say it requires 3.2.6 ?

Can I install XCode 4.3 on OS/X 10.6 ?  Or do I need an OS/X upgrade ? 
In other terms, what are the minimal OS/X and XCode versions compatible with Lazarus 1.6 ?
You said you uninstalled a "previous version" of XCode. What version was that?

Lazarus should work on anything from OS 10.6+. See the matrix at http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Installing_Lazarus_on_MacOS_X
When you install XCode 4.3 you would also need to select to install the "command line tools"
And if you go above 4.3 (like XCode 5 or higher) you still need to extract some files from the Xcode 4.3 install because XCode 5+ doesn't include the debugger (gdb). See http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/OS_X_Programming_Tips#Xcode_5_and_above
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 02:03:00 pm by rvk »

tintinux

• Gestinux
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 02:27:39 pm »
Hi @rvk !

Don't we read Lazarus 1.6 requires, e.g., Xcode 3.2.6

I have seen the following or newer, but since I do not read in the matrix (or anywhere else) that XCode 4.3 is supported by OS/X 10.6.8, don't you think it was logical to try first the lowest version ?

So, can you confirm that I should be able to install Xcode 4.3 (and then the XCode command line tool) on OS/X 10.6.8 ?

Thanks

Jonas Maebe

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 02:35:31 pm »
Lazarus does not depend in any way on any part of Xcode. FPC, which is used by Lazarus to compile source code, does. The only parts of Xcode it needs are the assembler, linker and some startup object files. The ones that come with Xcode 3.2.6 work just fine.

As I mentioned in my first reply to you, please read and follow the instructions in http://wiki.freepascal.org/User_Changes_3.0#Default_assembler_for_Darwin.2Fi386.2Fx86_64.2FARM_and_iPhoneSimulator.2Fi386.2Fx86_64

If that does not work, then please post what does not work.

tintinux

• Gestinux
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 03:43:11 pm »
Quote from: Jonas Maebe
follow the instructions in http://wiki.freepascal.org/User_Changes_3.0#Default_assembler_for_Darwin.2Fi386.2Fx86_64.2FARM_and_iPhoneSimulator.2Fi386.2Fx86_64

Ok, can you please explain what exactly I should change in Lazarus or elsewhere to force the use of the old assembler  ?

I tried to put 
Code: [Select]
-Aas-darwin -gs in Tools, Configure Build Lazarus, Options, initially empty.
Some packages are compiled successfully, but LCL compilation is aborted, and DebuggerIntf returns Exit code 13). clang is still requested.

Thanks

Jonas Maebe

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 04:57:29 pm »
Ok, can you please explain what exactly I should change in Lazarus or elsewhere to force the use of the old assembler  ?
No, sorry. I'm a compiler developer and almost never use Lazarus (except as a code editor). You may want to ask the question (where to specify a compiler option so that it always gets passed to whatever you compile in Lazarus) in a general Lazarus forum, since there more more Lazarus users/developers on other platforms than on the Mac and that question is not Mac-specific.

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 05:06:12 pm »
I tried to put 
Code: [Select]
-Aas-darwin -gs in Tools, Configure Build Lazarus, Options, initially empty.
Some packages are compiled successfully, but LCL compilation is aborted, and DebuggerIntf returns Exit code 13). clang is still requested.
This is odd, since Options should be applied.

However, here's another thing you can try.
Go to Package -> Open Loaded Package.
In the list find DebuggerIntf package, click "Options".
In the opened dialog, select "Custom Options" and add "-Aas-darwin -gs".

Try to compile IDE and see if issue with DebuggerIntf is resolved.

If it is, repeat the same step for LCL package.

tintinux

• Gestinux
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 11:12:26 am »
Hi skalogryz

I had to add the options in nearly every package I need (more than 20), but not in LCL.

It was tedious, and there is probably something to improve to avoid this, but have built Lazarus and can run a project successfully !

Thanks !

TinyPortal © 2005-2018