Recent

Author Topic: Allegro.pas  (Read 33505 times)

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
Re: Allegro.pas
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2019, 11:21:40 am »
I just like to thank you for your work with allegro5. I works very well.  8)
Thank you for using it. ;)

Curiously, I came to write something.

Few days ago I finished to revise the allegro5.pas unit.  It was a loooooong work, checking everything and updating the documentation.  As a result, documentation is complete for that unit, and I've fixed some mistakes, changed a few stuff (data types, parameters...) and added a few new procedures and functions.

I've also spend some time trying to update the website, but was not able to change the background color (sigh!).  I think I'll create a new one, but not yet.  A month ago I created a new project to help build websites for SourceForge projects called sfwebsite.  It's still in a very early stage but once finished it will help a lot.

So, I'll not upload a new version soon, as there's work to do:
  • Finish to port JAVAroids as new demonstration game, and also make some more changes to Furious Paladin.
  • Revise all add-ons, documentation and updates, and add the new al5video unit.
  • Revise all examples, adding some new ones. (I'm also planning to write a GUI to replace nihgui).
  • Test everithing with Delphi (not sure, but I think I should install the latest Community Edition one, shouldn't I?).

But I'm in the way...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 11:27:04 am by Ñuño_Martínez »
Are you interested in game programming? Join the Pascal Game Development community!
Also visit the Game Development Portal

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
Still alive...
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2019, 09:38:53 pm »
Still alive and working on the project.

Two days ago I've finished to check all addons and documentation.  Right now I'm working porting more examples from the original Allegro.  This will show me if there's still any mistake or error.

Also, I've synced the GitHub mirror if you don't like SourceForge.
Are you interested in game programming? Join the Pascal Game Development community!

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
Allegro.pas 5.2.β.1 released
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2020, 09:08:10 pm »
As the title said, I've released Allegro.pas 5.2.β.1.

It was almost two years but it is finally out.  You can read the release notice here, but mainly I've added a lot of functionality, completed the documentation and reach 98% Delphi compatibility. The 2% is because a few issues in two examples.  You can download from here (the GitHub mirror will be synchronized ASAP, but there are only minor differences right now).

Next I'll refurnish the website. It is quite ugly and hard to read.

furious programming

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2020, 03:06:58 pm »
Great job Ñuño_Martínez! Keep it up, in my opinion it is an important project and should be constantly developed. I just hope that people will start creating some larger productions using this API, Allegro library and Free Pascal, because somehow there are not many of them. 8)
Lazarus 3.2 with FPC 3.2.2, Windows 10 — all 64-bit

Working solo on an acrade, action/adventure game in retro style (pixelart), programming the engine and shell from scratch, using Free Pascal and SDL. Release planned in 2026.

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2020, 08:08:41 pm »
Thanks furious programming. :)

I'm now updating the web site.  I finished the main site (and it is working) but have problems with wiki.  Seems that Dokuwiki doesn't work on SourceForge anymore due to configuration of the server (more restrictive to avoid abuse and security gaps).  I'm thinking what to do.  I don't like SourceForge's wiki system a lot.  A solution would be to use GitHub Wiki but I don't like GitHub (%)).  I would use FPC Wiki but I think it is an abuse. :-[

I'm tempted to create my own wiki software... ::)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 08:29:14 pm by Ñuño_Martínez »

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2020, 09:28:33 pm »
Sorry for the double post but it is to make more evident that I've decided to add a tutorial in the Lazarus Wiki.  Not sure if I'll keep it there yet.  Just let me know.

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2020, 08:51:34 pm »
I've finished with the new web site, including the Allegro.pas Vivace Tutorial, so I've finished with this Allegro.pas cycle (FINALLY!!!).

Anyway, please visit it (http://allegro-pas.sf.net/) and tell me what do you think, specially if you find any flaw, problem or mistake.

furious programming

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2020, 01:24:58 am »
Anyway, please visit it (http://allegro-pas.sf.net/) and tell me what do you think, specially if you find any flaw, problem or mistake.

Your site looks ancient, primitive — it lacks... style. 8)

Even if you care about making the website light and created only using HTML and CSS (noscript), it can be done in such a way that it looks modern. The project's website is its showcase, so it should look well and contain clearly presented data. Too simple website will inform viewers that the project is amateur, which will discourage potential interested.

Long ago, I needed to make a light website for my own project (in Polish, but this is not the key), which was also supposed to work locally. Look at this website — https://tsinfo.4programmers.net/ — and compare with yours. That should give you food for thought.

Second thing is the code. Don't write the sample code as if it was from the '70s. Follow the guidelines for naming conventions and code formatting, including write lowercase keywords. Also, show the colored code on the page — analyzing one-color code is more difficult.

To beautify the code you can simply use Lazarus. Just write the code in the code editor, export it to HTML document (go to File and use Export as HTML) and copy the final HTML code to your file.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 01:34:02 am by furious programming »

Working solo on an acrade, action/adventure game in retro style (pixelart), programming the engine and shell from scratch, using Free Pascal and SDL. Release planned in 2026.

winni

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2020, 01:40:01 am »
Hi!

I like your website. Very 90ies without blink and boing and gimmickry.

But I think this is not the style that your users prefer.

CSS is simple and full  of (unlogic) possibilities.

Just as a hint.

Winni

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2020, 12:50:14 pm »
Thanks for the comments.

I will change the color palette.  I'm still working on it.  Green is because the allegator, but that color seems not to be friend with complementary. %)  Would change anytime.

About code displaying, I agree that syntax highlighting will improve the reading, but the way the pages are build doesn't allow to do it (yet) as it doesn't allow HTML code.  I plan to add a wiki to the site so that will deal with it.

About uppercase keywords, sorry but I don't agree:  I find it easier to read even with syntax highlighting so I'll keep it (specially while syntax highlighting can't be applied).  Will not discuss anyway.

And maybe you didn't notice, but Allegro is an amateur project. ::)  Just kidding (actually not).  I understand what do you mean (actually yes):  Allegro.pas is a one man (amateurish) project so deal with it or do a serious proposal (just remember I didn't put a link to the donation page, should I?  That would allow me to hire a designer. :-[).

Otto

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2020, 02:17:20 pm »
Hello Ñuño_Martínez.

I believe that the usability of your site is good, the essential content is easily accessible and clearly described. You preceded me, otherwise I would have recommended you to prepare a dedicated wiki. However, in case you thought it was appropriate, I could help you with the Italian translation. 

If it all goes well, we could have a direct link in "Portal:Game Development".

As for colors, in my opinion, it is a matter of taste and momentary fashion. I personally have always preferred dark backgrounds with high contrasts, with a few different colors and possibly very saturated.

Compatible with all the other commitments I already have, I would like to help in the enhancement of your project <Allegro.pas>: I think it's a really good project. Unfortunately I am also managing my projects and I have very little free time. As was said in ancient times: "Tempus fugit".

Otto.
Kind regards.

furious programming

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2020, 05:23:03 pm »
I will change the color palette.  I'm still working on it.  Green is because the allegator, but that color seems not to be friend with complementary. %)  Would change anytime.

You don't have to change the color palette, because green is a pleasant color. What bothers me is not very interesting design of the site, including careless margins and padding (too small). Just try not to make the site look old/primitive, because it will deter users. Minimalism, not primitives.

About code displaying, I agree that syntax highlighting will improve the reading, but the way the pages are build doesn't allow to do it (yet) as it doesn't allow HTML code.

You can generate pages, but you can manually insert HTML for source code. But I don't know where these restrictions come from — I don't know what you use to generate pages.

About uppercase keywords, sorry but I don't agree:  I find it easier to read even with syntax highlighting so I'll keep it (specially while syntax highlighting can't be applied).  Will not discuss anyway.

No no no... Virtually no one writes the code this way. Even FPC/Lazarus developers, despite many formatting styles, do not write keywords in capital letters. This is not a good technique.

If you create a project yourself and for yourself, you can write the source code as you like — after all, only you will be able to see it. However, if you create a common project (and the tutorial is it), you should adhere to common principles and promote practices considered by most as essential.

Most are described here — Object Pascal Style Guide — please, read carefully and follow the rules.

And maybe you didn't notice, but Allegro is an amateur project. ::)

Yep, I know. The problem is you don't have to brag about it.

You must understand that the first impression is most important, that the appearance of the website and formatting of source code is very important. You have to think about what the user will think — otherwise all the work will be wasted, because so far the site doesn't encourage users to browse it.

That would allow me to hire a designer. :-[).

You don't need a designer. There are many different websites on the web, minimalistic, full of content and nice looking at the same time. Just look for the one you like, look at the sources how it is made and use a similar style. The very good example is the SFML website — see yourself.

Remember that I'm a fan of this project and I wish you the best — hence my posts in this thread. 8)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:29:05 pm by furious programming »

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2020, 07:30:51 pm »
I must say I'm a very special person. My psychologist stated I may be the most astonishing Asperger he ever saw, and a friend of me (psychology student ::)) asked if she can open my skull to see how my brain works (and that was way before Dr. Farrah Fowler asked the same to Dr. Koothrappali, by the way). So if I sound I'm upset, I'm actually not.  I'm taking notes of everything.

So, thanks @Otto for the comments.  Don't worry, I know what is to have so many projects and almost no time.  %)

@winni, thanks. I take note and I'll try to make it better.

@furious programming, thanks too.  Really.  I knew about Borland style document when I used Delphi 6.  I should read it again to see what changed.  Then may be I update my own style document (yes, I have one, and everybody should).

I'll advance in other stuff but soon I'll make tests in my local server to see how MediaWiki works and change in the CSS.  Stay tuned. :)

[edit] Almost forgot, you have the web sources in the SVN repository.  Yes, all custom PHP, I know. Please don't say it is bad idea and use a CMS and all that, I know.  I've developed tons of webpages for decades, I really don't trust in many 3th party PHP software, and AFAIK none of my webs have been cracked yet (remember, AFAIK) and I know they tried several times.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 07:36:00 pm by Ñuño_Martínez »

furious programming

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2020, 12:44:40 am »
Almost forgot, you have the web sources in the SVN repository.  Yes, all custom PHP, I know. Please don't say it is bad idea and use a CMS and all that, I know.

This is not a bad idea if you can do it and if the website works correct and efficiently. I prefer to browse hand-carved pages that work well than to vomit at the size and loading time of “modern” websites.  :D

furious programming

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2020, 07:23:17 pm »
@Ñuño_Martínez: does this library support Windows XP? I tried to run this sample game Furious Paladin but during startup I received messagebox with error saying something is missing from the kernel32.dll library, witch is the system library. I used the latest version of allegro.pas and the included monolith dll.

So, is this OS supported?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 08:22:04 pm by furious programming »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018