Recent

Author Topic: fpcup without downloading again?  (Read 6088 times)

ab1jx

• Just some photos on Nikonians
fpcup without downloading again?
« on: May 06, 2016, 05:44:21 am »
First of all I get this trying to run fpcup_linux_armhf:

root@raspberrypi:/usr/local/src/fpc/fpcup# ./fpcup_linux_armhf
Fpcup, a FPC downloader/updater/installer
Original by BigChimp: https://bitbucket.org/reiniero/fpcup
This version: https://github.com/LongDirtyAnimAlf/Reiniero-fpcup

Fpcup will download the FPC sources
from the source SVN repositories, and compile, and install.
Result: you get a fresh, up-to-date FPC installation.

Version: based on commit fpcup001 (20150210)
Build date: 2016/04/16 09:36:14
Compiled for CPU: arm on linux

Options:
Bootstrap dir:      /root/development/fpcbootstrap
FPC URL:            http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/tags/release_3_0_0
FPC options:       
FPC directory:      /root/development/fpc
Keep changes:       no
Re-apply changes:   no
Log file name:      /root/fpcup.log

INFO: FPCUP will not download repos. It will only get the files !!!

Effective parameters:   

Persistent parameters (can be saved in shell script):

Continue (Y/n): y
fpcup: info: 5-5-16 23:32:27: fpcup fpcup001 (20150210) started.
fpcup: info: Found bootstrap compiler version 2.6.2
fpcup: info: SVN client found: /usr/bin/svn
fpcup: info: FPC: running make distclean:
fpcup: info: TFPCInstaller: deleting intermediate bootstrap compiler (will
be rebuilt using stable bootstrap compiler)
fpcup: info: Checking out/updating FPC sources...
fpcup: info: INFO: directory /root/development/fpc is not an SVN repository
(or a repository with the wrong remote URL).
fpcup: info: Running SVN checkout or update.
fpcup: info: TFPCInstaller: building module FPC...
fpcup: info: 5-5-16 23:32:33: fpcup finished.
An unhandled exception occurred at $00093CD0:
EInOutError: File not found
  $00093CD0

What file isn't found?

But my original question was whether there's a way to use a recently downloaded FPC from another machine copied over, instead of hours of downloading over again, if svn even works on my connection?  I downloaded via git because svn didn't work.

molly

Re: fpcup without downloading again?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 06:09:03 am »
What's your aim ? Having FPC 3.0.0 compiler for your raspi ? then it might be easier/quicker to download/install fpc 3.0.0 compiler from their repositories (added 3 march april 2016).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 06:23:06 am by molly »

ab1jx

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 06:36:08 am »
I have a current FPC deb that's 2.6.4.  I want to get new enough so I can cross-compile to Android > 5.0, so something like FPC 3.1 from svn/git.  There's some issue with PIC in Android, which I assume has nothing to to with Microchip's PICs.

Then I might as well use that to build a current Lazarus from svn.

Using the debs in Rasbian Jessie gets 2.6.4 fpc and 1.2.4 Lazarus.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 06:56:50 am by ab1jx »

molly

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 07:36:44 am »
Ah, yes i c. my bad. it's not arrived in stable yet. No law against just using it ;-)

Lazarus 1.6.x is in there as well.

ab1jx

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 04:03:42 pm »
So Android makes some change like 4.4 -> 5.02 over a year ago, then there's the time for FPC to catch up to that, then the time for Debian to get that into debs, then the time for it to get adopted into Raspbian.  Android's up past 6 now, not that I care, my phones are 5.02.

I normally run stable, released code and not try bleeding edge stuff like by svn.  But in this case I really want to generate APK files from Lazarus instead of going the full Android Studio and Java route.

molly

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 11:21:26 pm »
Yeah, i know :-S

I can't help you with the fpcup issue as i simply don't use it. I build my stuff from trunk manually.

One thing i did notice though is that fpcup reports fpc 2.6.2 as being the starting compiler, which seems a bit odd to me if i assume you have 2.6.4 installed (some remnants from old installation left?).

You are more than welcome to wait for fpcup maintainer to respond, otherwise i would suggest (to learn to) upgrading manually as that leaves you in control.

FPC always requires the previous major release to be used to be able to compile a newer compiler. So, in case you are coming from 2.6.2 you would first need to create the 2.6.4 compiler, with that you are able to compile the 3.0 compiler which in itself is required to be able to compile the 3.1.1. compiler from trunk (fun, isn't it ;-) )

Even if you don't want to do it manually, it is a very good exercise. If you create a zipinstall for at least the 3.0 compiler then you'll never have to do it manually again (given that you stored those results somewhere save).

ab1jx

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 04:02:53 am »
I don't think fpcup is really going to get me anywhere and I've spent hours trying to download it.

This bootstrapping stuff is almost a reason to maintain a repository of different versions compiled for different machines someplace like github where people can upload their binaries.

Crosscompiling might be the easiest way to bootstrap.  I have 3.0.0 running under OpenBSD.  If I compiled an ARMHF Linux version, then copied that over I might be able to build the svn/git version from it.  It's not like I know how to do that, but I guess I need to study the usage stuff I get when I just type fpc.

molly

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 03:24:08 am »
This bootstrapping stuff is almost a reason to maintain a repository of different versions compiled for different machines someplace like github where people can upload their binaries.
Discussed (multiple times) before on this forum (e.g. no need to repeat that discussion), and as said: it is a a nice exercise.

Crosscompiling might be the easiest way to bootstrap.  I have 3.0.0 running under OpenBSD.  If I compiled an ARMHF Linux version, then copied that over I might be able to build the svn/git version from it.  It's not like I know how to do that, but I guess I need to study the usage stuff I get when I just type fpc.
Yeah, cross-compiling can bring you there as well. You can read the buildfaq for that to get you started.

DonAlfredo

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 11:27:04 am »
I may try to help you with fpcup.

First, I did run fpcup just a few minutes ago on my RPi, with arch Linux hardfloat. No problems.
Both 3.0.0 and trunk.

So, I would like to ask you to run fpcup in verbose mode (--verbose), and show the error, if any, reported by fpcup.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018