Recent

Author Topic: TOTAL NEWBIE: how to install Lazarus on OS X intel Max  (Read 53868 times)

Phil

Re: problem installing lazarus
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2007, 07:51:01 pm »
Quote from: "rc"
Having trouble installing Lazarus on a PPC iMac G5.
Following the instructions on http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/OS_X_Programming_Tips
when I try to install the Lazarus package, I get a (rather cryptic) error message: "There were errors installing the software. Please try again"

What version of OS X are you running and what snapshot date did you use? I installed the 20070316 snapshots on a PowerPC Mac with 10.4.9 over the weekend and had no trouble.

If you get the same error message with a different snapshot, open the OS X Console app and see if there's any additional information about the error there.

If you still can't get it installed, please report this as a bug on the Lazarus Bugtracker.

rc

TOTAL NEWBIE: how to install Lazarus on OS X intel Max
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2007, 01:13:45 pm »
Thanks,

I was using 200611something
I just installed the 20070318 and 20070321 versions (the most recent snapshots.
And they worked fine.

(system 10.4.2 by the way)

Phil

TOTAL NEWBIE: how to install Lazarus on OS X intel Max
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2007, 02:22:46 pm »
Quote from: "rc"
Thanks,

I was using 200611something
I just installed the 20070318 and 20070321 versions (the most recent snapshots.
And they worked fine.

(system 10.4.2 by the way)

This probably won't affect Lazarus any, but you might want to upgrade to the current 10.4.9.

Hansaplast

• Tweaking4All.com
    • Tweaking4All
RE: Re: RE: Re: TOTAL NEWBIE: how to install Lazarus on OS X
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2007, 06:23:18 am »
Reading this discussion I can only (carefully) conclude that Lazarus/FPC is not quite ready yet for writing an application that can easily dropped into Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X.

With quite a bit of effort, I managed to get Lazarus/FPC to run and compile an app using Carbon (please read: http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Carbon_Interface for more info on how to get started).

But the ease we were used to develop and deploy our apps with Delphi, which is what "we" are looking for.
Not cross platform unfortunately, Kylix got killed, CodeGear is not planning on bringing it back to live, and Mac support will not be there either.
Lazarus/FPC seems our only hope in the future ...

RealBasic seems to be really cross platform, but I don't care for it too much.

I love Delphi, and after buying a MacBook Pro, love the Mac as well.
I'd love to port my apps to the Mac.

The question should probably be; how can we (the less experienced "low level" programmers) contribute to helping things running on the Mac natively?

@add;

Using Xcode is just not RAD like what you're used to from Delphi - and I don't think it's quite intended to be that either.
For now we need to install GTK/X11 for default Lazarus/FPC development, until Carbon is implemented far enough to be useful (and they're working hard on that!).
Using Carbon would make the interface look like Mac indeed ...
As for a-few-clicks-installers; I'm not sure but doesn't Apple provide something like that?
Or; use a DMG, as far as I have learned so far an application (.app) "file" is basically a folder with the files needed for your application to run.
Quite a few applications allow the user to drag the .app over to their computer and run it from there. So I do not see too many issues there.
(see also: http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Carbon_Interface#Creating_the_Apple_resource_files)

Hansaplast

• Tweaking4All.com
    • Tweaking4All
Re: TOTAL NEWBIE: how to install Lazarus on OS X intel Max
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2007, 07:04:03 pm »
Quote from: "jhyams"
I see a lot of posts on this subject and all confuse me. I have never ever used a Mac before, I am from 10 years programming in Delphi on Windows. I want to write some Mac apps and use my Delphi language knowledge, ie not learn a new language.

I find myself in the same situation. I did however manage to get Lazarus to work and actually create a (simple) Mac OSX app (using Carbon and using GTK).

Personally I love Lazarus because it connects with my Delphi experience and does generate fast code.
For Mac development however I feel I will have to wait a little bit more until the Carbon implementation becomes more mature.

The GTK approach is just not workable for me;
I do not want to go through impractical installation process, then run everything in X11/GTK, and then end up with applications that requires X11/GTK. So that options is out ...

The Carbon approach looks very promising (and I'm very impressed by the work done so far!), but I'd prefer Lazarus to be a native Carbon application and I'd like to be able to easily compile and run an application for Mac OSX natively. So instead of compiling and then having to run script(s) to package everything in a Mac OS X package, simply click a button and there is your native Mac OS X ready to use and copy ...

As far as I understand, we're close, but not quite there yet.
I'd love to put out a bounty for it, but honestly do not know what exactly to ask for (or how toproperly formulate it). And, since I'm just developing applications for fun (non-commercial), my bounty cannot be too high either ... maybe we "new" Mac users should join forces and set up a nice joint bounty, so very capable people like Tombo get rewarded for their work ...

bee

RE: Re: TOTAL NEWBIE: how to install Lazarus on OS X intel M
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2008, 01:05:27 pm »
My intel macbook pro (leopard) is on the way, perhaps the next 2-3 days I'll have it on my hand. If bounty is required to boost carbon development, I'd like to join the forces (if exist) to give rewards to carbon developer(s). :)
-Bee-

A long time pascal lover.

Phil

Re: RE: Re: TOTAL NEWBIE: how to install Lazarus on OS X int
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2008, 05:48:50 pm »
Quote from: "bee"
My intel macbook pro (leopard) is on the way, perhaps the next 2-3 days I'll have it on my hand. If bounty is required to boost carbon development, I'd like to join the forces (if exist) to give rewards to carbon developer(s). :)

Probably a good place to start is to find things that you need or that annoy you and then post a bounty specifically for these things.

Have fun with your MB Pro.

Thanks.

-Phil

MrF

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2011, 02:48:57 pm »
You have got to be kidding!
This is a Newbie Guide to Installing Lazarus on a Mac?
I followed instructions on several pages, installed Developer Tools, selected from a vast number and installed 3 seperate DMGs on pages with almost no  info other than the file names themselves, ran commands, adjusted environment variables and guess what? Although it looks like it's installed, It doesn't work. I right a basic writeln(); readln(); program and it doesn't even bring up a console window. And not only does it not provide any help, but nowehere on the Net can I find a solution.

Is a newbie going to understand Carbon widgetset, gtk, lazarus, fink, QT widgetset, MUCommander, X11?

I have to ask: Why does it have to be so complicated? Especially if I specifically hunted down the exact package for my computer, weeding through hundreds of files...

It's like the simple instructions are to have a look at another web page which has links that point to other pages which mention acronyms and jargon and point more guides and refer you to other software to install with no expanation of what that software is... Christ!

Seriously what the hell?
Can someone please make some instructions that don't take me off to yet another site?
And to see all the answers to this post TOTAL NEWBIE: how to install Lazarus on OSX Mac - a really specific request - and everyone fumbling around with more websites and more acronyms.. It's truely comical. not to mention frustrating.

IndianaJones

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2011, 03:58:08 pm »
MrF,
Here is the simple procedure.
1. Install Mac Developer Tools package
2. Install FPC .dmg packages from Daily Snapshots (fpc and fpc sources)
3. svn comes with the Snow Leopard if you are using Snow Leopard. if not mac port can be a good start to install svn (subversion)
4. install Lazarus with svn. (google it "Lazarus svn install")
5. make clean all or make bigide.
Thats all folks.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 04:54:50 pm by IndianaJones »

Shebuka

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2011, 11:32:55 am »
MrF,
Here is the simple procedure.
1. Install Mac Developer Tools package
2. Install FPC .dmg packages from Daily Snapshots (fpc and fpc sources)
3. svn comes with the Snow Leopard if you are using Snow Leopard. if not mac port can be a good start to install svn (subversion)
4. install Lazarus with svn. (google it "Lazarus svn install")
5. make clean all or make bigide.
Thats all folks.
If you don't need the latest svn fixes you can also replace steps 3-5 with:
3. Install Lazarus .dmg packages from Daily Snapshots
4. Rebuild Lazarus from Lazarus Options to update it from fpc 2.4.2 to fpc 2.4.4
(because afaik daily snapshot is compiled in automatic way with fpc 2.4.2)

felipemdc

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2011, 03:47:36 pm »
And to see all the answers to this post TOTAL NEWBIE: how to install Lazarus on OSX Mac - a really specific request - and everyone fumbling around with more websites and more acronyms.. It's truely comical. not to mention frustrating.

Please do not resussitate topics from 2006, because this causes a lot of confusion. The instructions in this topic are out dated because it is 5 years old now and a lot changed.

You should have gone instead to the wiki:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Installing_Lazarus_on_MacOS_X

Or opened a new topic to ask about instructions of how to install Lazarus.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 04:10:50 pm by felipemdc »

Shebuka

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2011, 05:17:22 pm »

Please do not resussitate topics from 2006, because this causes a lot of confusion. The instructions in this topic are out dated because it is 5 years old now and a lot changed.

You should have gone instead to the wiki:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Installing_Lazarus_on_MacOS_X

Or opened a new topic to ask about instructions of how to install Lazarus.
I think that that wiki must be updated, because it's not much user friendly and there is no step by step snapshot installation procedure. Like "1.3.1 Installation from disk images"

btw oot: is there a good and clear tutorial about make? i'v tried some on the net and study some examples but i think that i'v understand only the very top of the iceberg...

MrF

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2011, 12:39:30 pm »
It would be a very good idea for someone who knows what they are doing (and how to speak to newbies) to update that page. It is quite confusing and hardly has any detail - I did all this and didn't receive this error - my projects just don't run - no errors!  what do I do now? :o:
Maybe someone could do a Youtube of it!

Open up each disk image and install in this order: 1. fpc 2. fpcsrc 3. Lazarus

After installation the Lazarus application can be found in /Developer/lazarus/, the FPC source files in /usr/local/share/fpcsrc.

If you receive a "Can't find unit Interfaces used by Project1" error on trying to compile a blank form, check the following settings in Lazarus (should be set by default):

Environment | Options

Lazarus directory: /Developer/Lazarus
  Compiler path: /usr/local/bin/ppc386 (PowerPC Macs: /usr/local/bin/ppcppc)
  FPC Source: /usr/local/share/fpcsrc

Project | Options

All paths blank
  LCL Widget Type: default (Carbon beta)

Project | Inspector

Required Packages
     LCL

Note - different versions of Lazarus depend on particular versions of the FreePascal compiler and will not work with other versions.

Another common problem is that the versions of fpc and fpcsrc are different.

This is the easiest way to install Lazarus on Mac OS X.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018