Forum > LazUtils

EasyLazFreeType - what does TextWidth() return?

(1/1)

Graeme:
I somehow need to find out the width of a text string. I can't link to LCL or generate a FPCanvas bitmap. I only have access to the TTF files.

In the LazUtils there is a easylazfreetype.pas unit, and I'm trying to figure out the works of the TFreeTypeFont.TextWidth() method.

Using the following program I get two results of 8 and 23  - but what do those values represent? Points, Pixels?

If the result is in pixels, where do you specify the Font Size? I never specified a font point size in my example code, and obvious different font sizes will produce different pixel sizes for text width.

--- Code: Pascal  [+][-]window.onload = function(){var x1 = document.getElementById("main_content_section"); if (x1) { var x = document.getElementsByClassName("geshi");for (var i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.maxHeight='none'; x[i].style.height = Math.min(x[i].clientHeight+15,306)+'px'; x[i].style.resize = "vertical";}};} ---program project1; {$mode objfpc}{$h+} uses  Classes,  SysUtils,  EasyLazFreeType,  LazFreeTypeFontCollection; var  s: string;  fc: TFreeTypeFontCollection;  lTTF: TFreeTypeFont;begin  s := 'abc';   fc := TFreeTypeFontCollection.Create;  if not fc.AddFile('/data/devel/Wisa/fpcpackages/fppdf/tests/fonts/DejaVuSans.ttf') then    writeln('Failed to load font');   lTTF := fc.Family['DejaVu Sans'].Font[0].CreateFont;  // returns 8  writeln(Trunc(lTTF.TextWidth('$')));  // returns 23  writeln(Trunc(lTTF.TextWidth('abc')));    lTTF.Free;  fc.Free;end. 

FTurtle:

--- Quote from: Graeme on January 21, 2016, 04:43:37 pm ---If the result is in pixels, where do you specify the Font Size? I never specified a font point size in my example code, and obvious different font sizes will produce different pixel sizes for text width.

--- End quote ---

I think should be some default value.
Why not specify your own value?

Graeme:
Thanks FTurtle. Only afterwards I delved into the code and noticed that the constructor sets a default PointSize of 10, and that there is an actually PointSize and PixelSize property.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version