Forum > Beginners

What is the difference between the new ADVANCED RECORD and the old OBJECT?

<< < (2/13) > >>

mdbs99:
And after almost 3 years, are there real difference to justify advanced records or it is just to follow Delphi?

Thanks.

marcov:

--- Quote from: mdbs99 on September 29, 2018, 05:19:27 pm ---And after almost 3 years, are there real difference to justify advanced records or it is just to follow Delphi?

--- End quote ---

IMHO people glorify the old object for no good reason.

Awkward:
I using old objects in some places. Not because they have New/Dispose extensions but for object inheritances

lucamar:

--- Quote from: mdbs99 on September 29, 2018, 05:19:27 pm ---And after almost 3 years, are there real difference to justify advanced records or it is just to follow Delphi?

--- End quote ---

Following Delphi has its merits, if not done blindly; after all, Delphi is the "leader" in Pascal programming and lots (most?) of new Pascal code is written using their extensions.

With respect to advanced records, old-style objects and classes ... well, they can be seen as gradations of a concept: in the lower level advanced records, a little beyond that old-style objects and last the more powerful classes. And while it is true that adv. records and old-style objects differ only a little---basically, beyond implementation details, in inheritance capability---they still differ enough that an election has to be made between using one or the other type ... or jump directly to a class.

--- Quote from: marcov on September 29, 2018, 05:36:48 pm ---IMHO people glorify the old object for no good reason.

--- End quote ---

I don't think "glorify" is the adequate word here. There are times---not many, granted---when one needs something more than records but a class is, somehow, overkill. In that middle ground is where the object type fits.

That is, unless records keep "advancing" and become objects  :)

mdbs99:

--- Quote from: marcov on September 29, 2018, 05:36:48 pm ---IMHO people glorify the old object for no good reason.

--- End quote ---

I have no feelings about that. I want to move on, using what programmers might use nowadays, but I'm not sure if the object type is deprecated of not. IIRC, Delphi says yes, it's deprecated. However, as have already pointed here, object type is different to advanced records...

So, nowadays, why should I choose advanced records instead of object type?
(the answer should not only consider that Delphi deprecated object but, instead, explain the technical reasons)

regards,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version