Recent

Author Topic: Problems with Windows 10?  (Read 14563 times)

FeliceMente

Problems with Windows 10?
« on: November 20, 2015, 09:23:09 am »
I can't get Free Pascal to work with Windows 10.

I tried both the command-line versione of Free Pascal Compiler (version 2.6.4 and version 3.0.0-rc2) and the one that comes with Lazarus (I tried compiling both from the IDE and form the command-line), and none of the two seems to be able to actually compile working programs.

I don't get any error message when compiling (everything seems to be ok) but, when I execute the compiled program (even a simple command line hello world), it doesn't do anything and hangs (command line programs don't output anything and stop, gui programs don't draw the gui and stop...).

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
Re: Problems with Windows 10?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 10:48:24 am »
Windows 10 should not be a problem. I am running it without any problems, including on a build farm for FPC.

So you need to give a bit more information:
- Is it a legal version? (yes, it's free, but not for everyone and there are bogus ones out in the wild)
- What is your virus scanner?
- Provide an example that doesn't work.
- Did you use a pre-built version or did you build your own?
Specialize a type, not a var.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 10:48:36 am »
Do you use any antivirus? Try to deactivate it first or lower the heuristic settings. Your case is quite likely to be caused by either virus or antivirus. If it still doesn't work, move to Linux instead :P

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 11:34:05 am »
If it still doesn't work, move to Linux instead :P
Risc OS is less risky.  :-X
Specialize a type, not a var.

FeliceMente

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 09:57:45 pm »
Thanx to everyone for the aswers.

I'm using a legal copy of Windows 10 (I'm actusally mostly an OS X and Linux user, where I didn't have any problems, but wanted to try Free Pascal on Windows, too), and had tried with both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of FPC.

I'm using avast antivirus and, as suggested, if I disable it before running the programs compiled with FPC they work (if the antivirus is enables, they hang immediately, even a simple hello world program).

Is there a way for not having to disable the antivirus before launching the executables?

Cyrax

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 12:39:13 am »
Whitelist FPC and Lazarus in your antivirus program. Or change antivirus to different one. Or remove such paranoid thing altogether from your system and use open source/less paranoid ones, if you really need them.

Windows own firewall, Adblock/Noscript/disable WebRTC extensions for your web browser, some sense when downloading programs form internet and Virustotal.com or other cloud based scanning web service helps a lot.

And no Flash and/or Java plugins.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 12:40:51 am by Cyrax »

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 09:11:41 am »
Windows 10 includes M$ security essentials which is good enough for common protection and generally not trying to be any smarter by doing crazy heuristic scan.

pik33

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 12:13:18 pm »
I had to remove windows 10 and install "good old" windows 8 instead.

Any program, even the simplest one I tried to write (= empty form, button, open file dialog)  crashes hard and the windows stops responding when using file open dialog..Even in 32 bit Lazarus.  After some searching I found some text about gdb conflicts with Windows 10. Then I removed Windows 10. 

----------------------------------

To make Avast work with Lazarus one has to disable "deep screen" and "reputation services" in Avast.

pik33

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 12:14:06 pm »
If it still doesn't work, move to Linux instead :P
Risc OS is less risky.  :-X

Is there a Lazarus port on RiscOS?

TinyPortal © 2005-2018