Forum > General

File Handling In Pascal Binary Files Wiki Needs Work

<< < (2/3) > >>

Bart:
Made some changes.

Bart

flywire:
These tutorials are a good resource but I would like to promote a bit of discussion on who the audience is for them? If it is newbies, and I can't see why it shouldn't be, then I think that the tutorials still assume too much. The Run-Time Library (RTL): Reference guide does a good job with plenty of executable examples.  For example, how does the user know which units have to be added to the uses clause? (I normally run them and do a search on the errors.) I would be useful to list them in the tutorial, and sysutils is not going to do it. Yes, I accept that changes are my responsibility too.

I tested the first two binary files examples and they work fine - good work fellas. The third one falls over at the end of 'FileStream := TFileStream.Create;'. Beats me - it works OK in the FileCopy example below. Thinking about it though, this not a very useful example and should probably be deleted and the FileCopy adjusted so that it works with large files.

eny:

--- Quote from: flywire on March 06, 2015, 10:25:06 am ---These tutorials are a good resource but I would like to promote a bit of discussion on who the audience is for them? If it is newbies, and I can't see why it shouldn't be, then I think that the tutorials still assume too much.
--- End quote ---
In this case the reviewed examples are clear enough.
It would be a waste of time to explain basic language elements on every page.
BTW (rhetorical question): what is the definition of newbies?

As for the units usage: I agree.
A code fragment that makes use of a specific class that requires a uses line, should make mention of that.

marcov:

--- Quote from: flywire on March 06, 2015, 10:25:06 am ---   For example, how does the user know which units have to be added to the uses clause? (I normally run them and do a search on the errors.)

--- End quote ---

Press "F1" on the symbol with help installed?

eny:

--- Quote from: Leledumbo on March 05, 2015, 01:10:46 pm ---Mind fixing it?

--- End quote ---
Done.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version