Forum > FPC development

Compiling/linking speed still not on par with Delphi

<< < (3/3)

tk:

--- Quote from: Leledumbo on March 04, 2015, 05:48:51 pm ---This is the first time I see a person refusing his applications to go cross platform and cross widgetset just because of a few seconds

--- End quote ---

Well:
1. we're not refusing to do so, because we HAVE TO support Linux, so yes we compile BOTH in Delphi AND Lazarus now.
2. I personally am using Ctrl+F9 almost every minute when developing/syntax checking and F9 very often to launch and test and yes, Delphi is much faster than Lazarus now. The few seconds each time matter a lot here. And yes we compile rarely the whole project group.

I just asked about the development status of this feature. If you don't understand my questions then, please, don't answer next time.

In case there was some speed up in future it would be great.

Martin_fr:

--- Quote from: tk on March 08, 2015, 07:08:36 pm ---2. I personally am using Ctrl+F9 almost every minute when developing/syntax checking and F9 very often to launch and test and yes, Delphi is much faster than Lazarus now. The few seconds each time matter a lot here. And yes we compile rarely the whole project group.

I just asked about the development status of this feature. If you don't understand my questions then, please, don't answer next time.

In case there was some speed up in future it would be great.

--- End quote ---

As for "Syntax check:

Afaik ctrl-F9 defaults to compile. That includes linking.
There is an entry "Quick compile", which afaik skips linking. So it is faster, still checks the syntax.

== EDIT== Maybe in future a way can be added to just compile the unit you worked on. It wont tell if dependent units still compile, but be quick for syntax errors in that one unit.

It may still be slower than Delphi. For fpc all needs to be saved to disk, and then compiled. That includes loading ppu of other packages. I read some where that Delphi does some of that in memory.

Maybe you can tune your OS to cache them in memory, or you mount a ramdisk, and copy them (the ppu of the rtl and base packages) there.

As for actual running. FPDebugger is probably faster. But has less features yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version