Recent

Author Topic: Virtual Magnifying Glass v3.7 for Mac released  (Read 5770 times)

felipemdc

• Administrator
Virtual Magnifying Glass v3.7 for Mac released
« on: February 13, 2015, 02:32:30 pm »
Virtual Magnifying Glass is designed for visually-impaired and others who need to magnify a part of the screen. Unlike similar programs it does not open a separate window for the magnification but instead puts a movable magnifying glass on screen.

It is developed using Lazarus and the Cocoa interface and this release supports Mac OS X 10.10+ and Retina displays.

It can be downloaded in one of this two places:

http://magnifier.sourceforge.net

http://sourceforge.net/projects/magnifier/

The previous version is still available for download and supports 10.4+ but does not support retina displays.

Note that during the first start after the "Unknown source warning", it takes some 5 seconds for it to start working ... I have no idea why, it's as if Mac OS X was scanning my app and causing the delay itself. Its not a problem of the app itself.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 02:34:38 pm by felipemdc »

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Re: Virtual Magnifying Glass v3.7 for Mac released
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 04:09:17 pm »
So, how would you say about LCL Cocoa interface status?

felipemdc

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 09:23:21 am »
It needs testing, otherwise its hard for me to judge what works/what needs fixing. I fixed everything needed for the Virtual Magnifying Glass.

Right now I started using the IDE to test and found a major missing part: printing, so that will keep me busy today.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 05:33:59 pm »
But at least TTrayIcon, TPopupMenu and <a component that you use to draw the magnifier glass on, don't know what it is exactly> work? I only see those components from VMG. Maybe I need to start learning how to install Hackintosh on my machine to know the status myself...

felipemdc

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 06:40:22 pm »
yes, the VMG uses mostly TTrayIcon, TPopUpMenu and TCustomControl (that's the misterious control). Also TCanvas is already pretty OK since the VMG uses that a lot. I was actually surprised that I needed only some minor fixes to TTrayIcon and TCheckBox and it worked great already...

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 06:46:26 pm »
Most of Cocoa TTrayIcon have been implemented with Carbon, since there were no carbon APIs for tray icon. :)

How printers are going?
Patron Cocoa Widgetset development https://www.patreon.com/skalogryz

felipemdc

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 07:21:52 pm »
That's not correct, there is not 1 single Carbon call in cocoatrayicon.inc AFAIK

About printers, wow, what a headache .... Cocoa printing API sucks so bad =( Half I need to use Carbon for printing =( And the little Cocoa available sucks ... but I'll keep working on that, unless my head hurts, then I'll move to something else.

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 07:24:31 pm »
About printers, wow, what a headache .... Cocoa printing API sucks so bad =( Half I need to use Carbon for printing =( And the little Cocoa available sucks ... but I'll keep working on that, unless my head hurts, then I'll move to something else.
Carbon API? is it a risk for x64 linking?
How about just using a dummy printer (with no actual implementation). I've done myself when compiled cocoa lazarus.

The only problem now, is that printer component is trying to use CUPS for cocoa.

That's not correct, there is not 1 single Carbon call in cocoatrayicon.inc AFAIK
That's because Carbon's Icon Tray is Cocoa API based :) ... nevermind
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 07:26:36 pm by skalogryz »

felipemdc

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 07:29:46 pm »
Carbon API? is it a risk for x64 linking?

I haven't tested yet, but I think that Carbon printing should work in x86 .... Cocoa printing is written on top of it actually.

How about just using a dummy printer (with no actual implementation). I've done myself when compiled cocoa lazarus.

The only problem now, is that printer component is trying to use CUPS for cocoa.

You can use the latest code for a dummy cocoa printing ;) It should compile and link fine, but I don't think it does anything useful yet. Printing is a huge topic.

That's because Carbon's Icon Tray is Cocoa API based :) ... nevermind

Ah, indeed, that's true, I was misled because you made a typo in your original comment, you wrote: "Most of Cocoa TTrayIcon have been implemented with Carbon"

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 07:33:13 pm »
Ah, indeed, that's true, I was misled because you made a typo in your original comment, you wrote: "Most of Cocoa TTrayIcon have been implemented with Carbon"
ugh! sorry, my bad!

TinyPortal © 2005-2018