Recent

Author Topic: Forum Users  (Read 3977 times)

flywire

Forum Users
« on: February 13, 2015, 10:49:13 am »
It can be hard to get information off the forum since there must be many users that know very little and a few experts. Unfortunately the few must find it impossible to help the many unless the problem is really easy or particularly interesting to them. More unfortunately I can't seem to find relevant tutorials or examples with the issue I have. Any recommendations for other forums for object pascal or has interest passed pascal by?

taazz

Re: Forum Users
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 11:35:01 am »
What is the problem you did not got an answer to? there are a couple of forums around but nothing pascal or freepascal specific that I know off.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

balazsszekely

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 11:35:53 am »
It can be hard to get information off the forum since there must be many users that know very little and a few experts. Unfortunately the few must find it impossible to help the many unless the problem is really easy or particularly interesting to them.
Yes, this is how a programming forum works. I checked your posts though, it seems to me, that you questions was answered 95 -100%. The "Binary data structure record" thread/question is not trivial, probably that's why you didn't get a complete answer. Personally I would use an embedded database(firebird, mysql, etc), you can store any data you like(blob fields).

More unfortunately I can't seem to find relevant tutorials or examples with the issue I have.
Can you be more specific?

Any recommendations for other forums for object pascal or has interest passed pascal by?
Object pascal? Delphi forums?
https://forums.embarcadero.com/category.jspa?categoryID=12
http://forums.devshed.com/delphi-programming-90/
http://www.delphipages.com/forum/
There are many more, in different languages.

flywire

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 12:37:17 pm »
Please don't take any offence given the support offered to forum members here and I agree that my posts have been substantially answered. GetMem has probably nailed it in that my issue of working with a complex binary file format is non-trivial and maybe too challenging to revive ancient programming skills in a cross-platform environment. (I'll update the data structure post with a better format reference.)

The point really though was to find other support forums. Thanks for the other links as each post and example gives a little more insight.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 12:54:23 pm »
Any recommendations for other forums for object pascal or has interest passed pascal by?

In the past Pascal was mostly taught using books, and the base dialect didn't really change. That means that tutorials weren't written from the start, since you could pick up a complete 1000 page book for $10 or equivalent. (when Sybex went backrupt, these were everywhere).

There are the "Essential" Tutorials though, "Essential Pascal" and "Essential Delphi" by Marco Cantu.

User137

• Nxpascal home
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 01:36:54 pm »
Sometimes people makes questions so vague that there's no real answer to them unless more information is provided. I guess i'm not the only one that sometimes skips such threads for later when there's more posts, if there are posts... I don't always feel like putting the usual "i have lost my crystalball somewhere".

If you think your questions more throughly and hopefully give some source code, there's much higher chance of getting answers. If there is a topic that leads from 1 thing to other, do tell others exactly what you did so they'll keep up. Else the discussion may die again.

CM630

• Не съм сигурен, че те разбирам.
    • http://sourceforge.net/u/cm630/profile/
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 02:39:21 pm »
When I get an answer for an undocumented question I add it to the wiki. It's free ;D
Лазар 3,2 32 bit (sometimes 64 bit); FPC3,2,2; rev: Lazarus_3_0 on Win10 64bit.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018