Recent

Author Topic: [SOLVED]Polar Series - CloseCircle not found  (Read 6381 times)

Arctic_Eddie

[SOLVED]Polar Series - CloseCircle not found
« on: February 03, 2015, 07:59:15 pm »
I'm trying to write a program to analyze and display Yagi antennas radiation patterns. The GUI needs a polar graph with dB rings, angle lines, and two radiation patterns. My problem so far is stopping the end of a series from connecting to it's beginning. The property, CloseCircle, is supposed to solve this problem. However, I can't find it in TChart or any of the objects under it in the IDE nor the drop downs when entering the code. Where is it hidden or do I even have it in the version of Lazarus, V1.0.8.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 07:21:48 pm by Arctic_Eddie »

balazsszekely

Re: Polar Series - CloseCircle not found
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 08:31:18 pm »
http://wiki.freepascal.org/TAChart_documentation#Polar_series
2.4.2 Polar series --> "If CloseCircle = true, the last point is connected with the first one. "

Arctic_Eddie

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 09:28:37 pm »
I found that comment in several places but the property can't be found or doesn't exist. In what component is it located?

balazsszekely

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 09:33:13 pm »
Drop a TChart to your form, right click it-->edit series-->add-->polar series-->second property(Object inspector)

wp

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 09:46:38 pm »
You find the property CloseCircle in the ObjectInspector after you clicked on the PolarSeries in the ObjectTree. It was introduced in Aug 2012, so maybe your Lazarus version is too old if you don't see it. Anyway, I'd strongly recommend to update your Lazarus, we're close to the introduction of version 1.4, and there were a LOT new features and bugs fixed during these three years.

However, you should be aware that beyond TPolarSeries, polar charts are not very well supported by TAChart. In particular you'll have to do the painting of the circular coordinate system by yourself. Please see the attached demo to get the basic idea.

Arctic_Eddie

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 10:18:23 pm »
My version is dated 3/17/2013 but was updated several times. The original and the components were another year older. That's probably why the property is not found.

I'll update to the latest. Will my additional packages still be intact? I have several rather strange ones, ciphers, hashes, and 5dpo game joysticks, and don't want to do that all over again.

wp

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 01:44:49 am »
I'll update to the latest. Will my additional packages still be intact?
I think so, but you could just try with a secondary installation: install into a different folder than the old version. And add a file "lazarus.cfg" to the directory which contains lazarus.exe; this file should contain the line
Code: [Select]
--primary-config-path=C:\path\to\second\installation(or check the "secondary installation" box during installtion). Then you have both versions. And when everything is working you can delete the old one.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 01:46:53 am by wp »

Arctic_Eddie

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 01:52:30 am »
Thanks for the help. Will do it tomorrow and post the results.

Arctic_Eddie

[Solved]Re: Polar Series - CloseCircle not found
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 03:33:28 pm »
The problem is now solved. The CloseCircle property was missing because my installation occurred before that feature was added. The upgrade to V1.2.6 fixed the problem. However, another one appeared the first time I started the IDE. An error message shows that the make.exe file could not be found. There is one in the 2.6.4 folder while the old version had one in the 2.6.2 folder.

How do I tell it to look in the new location?

I followed this procedure to do the upgrade. First, copy the entire Lazarus folder to a new location. Next, create a system restore point. And finally, install the new version and let it remove the old one but not reset user parameters, I was afraid of losing too much, my extra packages.

If the upgrade had failed then I could restore to my old point and copy the saved folder back into it's original location. However, that was not necessary in this case.

wp

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 03:47:03 pm »
How do I tell it to look in the new location?

In "Tools" / "Options" / "Environment" / "Files" there is an edit for the location of make.exe.

Arctic_Eddie

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 04:03:27 pm »
Found, fixed, and ready to roll. However, I did lose all my extra packages. Will reinstall them as needed. My present project is intact so I can proceed.

Thanks for you help. Much appreciated.

PS
Oops, the packages do show up in the Open Loaded Packages list but are not visible in the IDE. I assume that they just need to be selected from the list and reinstalled.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 04:26:19 pm by Arctic_Eddie »

wp

Re: [Solved]Polar Series - CloseCircle not found
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 04:32:33 pm »
Oops, the packages do show up in the Open Loaded Packages list but are not visible in the IDE. I assume that they just need to be selected from the list and reinstalled.
If you had kept your former user settings you just have to recompile Lazarus to get the components back to the component palette.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:30:24 pm by wp »

Arctic_Eddie

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 06:25:58 pm »
Is there a help item showing me how to do that?

wp

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 07:06:26 pm »
"Tool" / "Build Lazarus with profile..." - this runs for some time, and then restarts the new Lazarus automatically.

If the new Lazarus would crash (because some of your packages have issues with the current version - not very likely, but not impossible), delete the new lazarus.exe and rename lazarus.old.exe back to lazarus.exe to get back to the state before you started the compilation. Then you check all your packages one by one: "Packages" / "Open package file" or "Open recent package" / "Compile" (or "More" / "Recompile clean", which takes a bit longer but removes traces of the old version). Then repeat with the next package, etc. When all packages compile fine then rebuild Lazarus again as shown at the top.

You may wonder why you have to recompile Lazarus: this is because installed packages are linked into the Lazarus binary (differently from Delphi where packages are separate DLLs).

Arctic_Eddie

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 08:06:57 pm »
That makes sense, thanks.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018