Recent

Author Topic: Do I Need To Do Anything To The Documentation .CHM Files?  (Read 4255 times)

Honduras2811

Do I Need To Do Anything To The Documentation .CHM Files?
« on: December 13, 2014, 01:26:45 am »
When I unzipped the Doc package, there were a couple of text files. So I read them.

One gave me the impression that I needed to create a 'build_lcl_docs.exe file, edit the 'build_html.bat' file and then run the 'build_lcl_docs.exe file'.

Does that sound familiar to anyone? It doesn't sound reasonable to me because '.chm' files are standard Windows help files. I can run the Lazarus '.chm'  files from the file manager, so they are already in the right format, unless Lazarus prefers something else.

Did I make an incorrect assumption? Should I just stop after unzipping them to the specified directory?
If it isn't worth doing right, it isn't worth doing at all.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Re: Do I Need To Do Anything To The Documentation .CHM Files?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 08:35:31 am »
One gave me the impression that I needed to create a 'build_lcl_docs.exe file, edit the 'build_html.bat' file and then run the 'build_lcl_docs.exe file'.
Those files are from the era where chm files are not readily available, even the default is still to build html docs only. No you don't need to run anything if you already have the chm files.

Honduras2811

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 09:49:17 am »
Those files are from the era where chm files are not readily available, even the default is still to build html docs only. No you don't need to run anything if you already have the chm files.

I must have some other kind of problem then. I finally tried to access one through the IDE and didn't get any response that made any sense to me.

What I want to do is look up the description of a function like VB's 'Format' function. What would be the best way to do that?
If it isn't worth doing right, it isn't worth doing at all.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 02:54:36 pm »
The chms should be put in docs/html iirc, and if lazarus was running it might need a restart.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 05:08:54 pm »
The chms should be put in docs/html iirc, and if lazarus was running it might need a restart.
Or set Tools->Options->Help->Help Options->CHM Help Viewer->HelpFilesPath. The IDE should actually point you to this when it's unable to find the chm files in the default location (the one pointed by marco) when you press F1 when the cursor is on an identifier.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018