Recent

Author Topic: NON(!)-EXE FFPlay4Laz  (Read 69934 times)

lucamar

Re: NON(!)-EXE FFPlay4Laz
« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2021, 11:16:04 pm »
I thought that ffmpeg is a command line tool
The FFmpeg-Project consists of several CommandLine-Tools and Libraries, see here.1om]FFVCL-Site[/url].

In fact, as with most *nix born projects, command-line tools are basically front-ends for the underlying libs, so when you install the command tools the linraries are also installed as dependencies.

The distinction comes about when a third party program wants to use the provided features, because there are basically two ways of doing it: running the tools in an extra process or binding to and using the libraries.

If want one wants to do can be done with the tools, the first option is usually the more easy to implement but if one wants something more, or different, or to have even more control then one must use the libraries, which is usually (logically enough) more complex.

Which is basically what metis already said :-[
Turbo Pascal 3 CP/M - Amstrad PCW 8256 (512 KB !!!) :P
Lazarus/FPC 2.0.8/3.0.4 & 2.0.12/3.2.0 - 32/64 bits on:
(K|L|X)Ubuntu 12..18, Windows XP, 7, 10 and various DOSes.

cdbc

• http://www.cdbc.dk
« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2021, 06:34:19 pm »
Hi metis
Cool!
I'd like a copy of your code, sounds great  ;)
e-mail: cdbc40<at>gmail.com
Regards Benny
If it ain't broke, don't fix it ;)

metis

« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2021, 07:39:29 pm »
@cdbc

I'd like a copy of your code
'RunFFmpeg', which uses the FFmpeg-CLIs is here (totally open-source).
-> GoTo "RunFFmpeg".

The last Release of the complete Player, which uses the FFmpeg-LIBs, 'SDL' and 'Portaudio' is here (partially open-source).
This Version is still with 'SDL1'. I'm currently updating the entire PlayerCode to 'SDL2', and adding some more Features.

The FPC-SourceFile for a minimal MediaPlayer with FFmpeg-LIBs and 'SDL2' is here.

sounds great
:)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 01:20:30 pm by metis »
Life could be so easy, if there weren't those f*** Details.

metis

« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2021, 02:16:46 pm »
@lucamar

command-line tools are basically front-ends for the underlying libs
In Case of 'FFmpeg', the static CommandLine-Tools are stand-alone Programs; no more Files needed to run them.

so when you install the command tools the linraries are also installed as dependencies.
On Windows, there's no FFmpeg-Installation needed (on MacOS or LINUX, don't know - never tried it out).
You simply copy the FFmpeg-CommandLine-Tools and/or the FFmpeg-LIBs wherever You need them.
If You use the CommandLine-Tools as "shared", their Dependencies (= their LIBs) must be available, of course.

These are the Possibilities, where You can put FFmpeg-Files on Windows w/o Installation, because
Windows searches for Files in the following Sequence, when no Path is specified:
(This Explication is not meant for You, lucamar, but maybe interesting for those, You didn't know)
1. The Directory from which the Program loaded
2. The current Directory
3. The Windows SystemDirectories (= [C:\WINDOWS\system], [C:\WINDOWS\system32])
4. The Windows Directory (= [C:\WINDOWS])
5. The Directories, that are listed in the PATH EnvironmentVariable.
I use the first Option to keep may FFmpeg-Apps portabel.

Once I tried out the FFPlay4Laz-Player on LINUX with 'Wine', just out of Curiosity, and
it worked the same Way as if the Files were on Windows (only slower).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 10:57:49 am by metis »
Life could be so easy, if there weren't those f*** Details.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018