Recent

Author Topic: Looking for contributors for a little open source project  (Read 10049 times)

BigChimp

• Add to the wiki - it's free ;)
    • FPCUp, PaperTiger scanning and other open source projects
Re: Looking for contributors for a little open source project
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 09:17:45 am »
Ah, thank you: "interface homme-machine" => human machine interface in English, I think.

I understand you both have no time to spend and too much to add. My point was really that you now basically limit contributors to French-speaking Lazarus developers.

Getting the program translated (strings, perhaps some comments) would widen your audience to English (/whatever other language) speaking devs as well.
For that, it would be extremely useful to get your source code in an svn, git or mercurial/hg repository so translators can easily update their .po files.
Of course, you can't be sure that you get contributors. I know a lot of projects struggle.

I myself, for instance would in theory be happy to help but I've got enough to do as it is...

As said, I would suggest you focus your limited time first on those features that make it easier for others to contribute, then on features. Of course, those contributors may not come...

Alternatively, perhaps the source code could be merged with another open source image processing program? That would also take a lot of time but may increase the number of devs working on the code and may make the software more feature-rich.

Just some thoughts.
Want quicker answers to your questions? Read http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#What_is_the_correct_way_to_ask_questions_in_the_forum.3F

Open source including papertiger OCR/PDF scanning:
https://bitbucket.org/reiniero

Lazarus trunk+FPC trunk x86, Windows x64 unless otherwise specified

marcov

• Global Moderator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 10:12:26 am »
GPL license is not ideal for that, since that basically limits its use to academia. At least the general library parts should be spun out with a bit more permissive license.

leneant

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 06:19:19 pm »
Ah, thank you: "interface homme-machine" => human machine interface in English, I think.

I understand you both have no time to spend and too much to add. My point was really that you now basically limit contributors to French-speaking Lazarus developers.

Getting the program translated (strings, perhaps some comments) would widen your audience to English (/whatever other language) speaking devs as well.
For that, it would be extremely useful to get your source code in an svn, git or mercurial/hg repository so translators can easily update their .po files.
Of course, you can't be sure that you get contributors. I know a lot of projects struggle.

I myself, for instance would in theory be happy to help but I've got enough to do as it is...

As said, I would suggest you focus your limited time first on those features that make it easier for others to contribute, then on features. Of course, those contributors may not come...

Alternatively, perhaps the source code could be merged with another open source image processing program? That would also take a lot of time but may increase the number of devs working on the code and may make the software more feature-rich.

Just some thoughts.

Thank's i know nothing about po file for internationalization.

I ask space for source code on developpez.com.

leneant

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 06:20:36 pm »
GPL license is not ideal for that, since that basically limits its use to academia. At least the general library parts should be spun out with a bit more permissive license.

which kind of license should be better ?

marcov

• Global Moderator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 09:14:55 pm »

which kind of license should be better ?

Pretty much any, :-) like the LGPL-with-linking-exception that FPC uses.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018