Forum > Other

fpGUI Toolkit v1.2 release

<< < (2/5) > >>

chrnobel:

--- Quote from: marcov on August 22, 2014, 11:16:06 am ---The fpgui LCL widgetset seems to be used mostly as a vehicle to spam the forum with fpgui advocacy (like this thread, this forum is meant for LCL backends, not independent widgetsets), since it has been alpha for a long time, without many updates.
--- End quote ---
I see no reason for fighting one and each other.

The FreePascal / Lazarus / FPGui /MSE community is far to small compared to the cruel C-whatever world outside to have internal fights, and actually all parts can benefit, as one does not exclude the other.

If I eg. are making a FPGui project I do still rely on Lazarus as my development IDE, so I see a big advantage in getting the best from two worlds.

It's not black or white.

Mike.Cornflake:

--- Quote from: marcov on August 22, 2014, 11:16:06 am ---The history of fpgui goes back to circa 2000, Lazarus had no other backend then GTK1, and the delphi compatibility layers hadn't really stabilized yet. There was simply too much breakage to be used in production, at least if you wanted to do projects.

--- End quote ---
Interesting post.  What I take away from that is the fpGUI LCL widgetset isn't recommended for serious use, and is probably still available in case someone wants to pick up the concept and run with it.  Until then, as you say - it's alpha.

--- Quote ---The fpgui LCL widgetset seems to be used mostly as a vehicle to spam the forum with fpgui advocacy (like this thread, this forum is meant for LCL backends, not independent widgetsets), since it has been alpha for a long time, without many updates.
--- End quote ---

Well, you're a moderator, it's up to you how you deal with this.  Personally I'm happy that fpGUI and other fpc related projects are discussed in these forums, they're part of the wider landscape we live in.  Should you be moving this thread to a more relevant sub-forum (or even creating that sub-forum)?   I'm definitely not happy with fpGUI posts being regarded as spam, but I suspect you're just talking about this particular sub-forum.

Graeme:

--- Quote from: marcov on August 22, 2014, 11:16:06 am ---like this thread, this forum is meant for LCL backends, not independent widgetsets

--- End quote ---
For your information, I didn't start the LCL-fpGUI widgetset, that was started by Andrew Haines, and then early contributions by Felipe.

Posting about a new fpGUI releases here doesn't seem out of place to me, because it has direct impact on the LCL-fpGUI widgetset.

Graeme:

--- Quote from: ggallo on August 22, 2014, 08:58:24 am ---I'd like to try fpGUI, but I can't compile into Lazarus IDE. If I choose 'fpGUI(alpha)' in the IDE build window, I get various errors on build.

--- End quote ---
OK, you are referring to the LCL-fpGUI widgetset. The LCL-fpGUI widgetset is not ready for building the Lazarus IDE itself. I've implement most of the widgets on Lazarus's Standard component palette, and a few others. But much works still needs to go into the LCL-fpGUI widgetset before it can be a usable Lazarus widgetset - hence the "alpha" label.

--- Quote ---The current documentation on fpGUI Lazarus integration looks outdated for this version. The error changes when I modify how the folders copied into LCL fpGUI directory.

--- End quote ---
Could you give me a link to the documentation you are referring too, and I'll try and update it where possible.

--- Quote ---Of course I can compile through the lpk file, but it seems it does nothing after adding it to my project.

--- End quote ---
I don't really develop the Lazarus LCL-fpGUI widgetset, though I do contribute here and there to it, to make sure it works with the latest fpGUI changes. I mainly develop the stand-alone fpGUI Toolkit itself. You can use Lazarus IDE to build and compile pure fpGUI application, thus no reliance on LCL. But that is probably better discussed in the fpgui.support newsgroup [http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/support.shtml], or in a other forum here. fpGUI contains a Lazarus add-on package which when installed into Lazarus IDE, registers a new Application type for building pure fpGUI applications.

Graeme:

--- Quote from: Mike.Cornflake on August 22, 2014, 10:05:10 am ---I've never been clear on the state, history or functionality of the fpGui widgetset.  Seems to me there is overlap in the design goals of the CustomDrawn widgetset and the fpGUI widgetset.

--- End quote ---
The LCL-fpGUI was started long before the LCL-CustomDrawn widgetset. The latter use LCL (canvas, messages etc) to render the widgets. The LCL-fpGUI widgetset is a LCL interface for using fpGUI Toolkit (just like LCL-GTK2 uses GTK, or LCL-QT uses Qt etc).

As I mentioned, I don't really develop LCL-fpGUI, I rather concentrate on developing fpGUI Toolkit itself. But I do make sure LCL-fpGUI compiles with the latest fpGUI releases, so if others want to take up the challenge in completing LCL-fpGUI, it's just that little bit easier.

The LCL-fpGUI currently has all the widgets on Lazarus IDE's Standard component palette implemented (excluding the TLabel), and a few from the other component palettes. It's really not that hard to implement, but I'll leave that as a challenge for others to complete. I believe the LCL-fpGUI would be a good contribution to the Lazarus project when complete, because everything will be implemented in Object Pascal, so bugs in LCL or fpGUI can be addressed much quicker, and there would be no dependency any large 3rd party libraries. fpGUI is also very memory efficient.

The common thing between LCL-fpGUI and LCL-CustomDrawn is that both are implemented in 100% Object Pascal, and all widgets/components are custom painted. The fpGUI Toolkit itself is fully functional though, and used in multiple commercial application. So only the LCL interface needs to be implemented. The LCL-CustomDrawn is still far from complete, and lots of basic functionality/components still need to be implemented, and then the LCL interface added. So the Lazarus CustomDrawn widgets are definitely not usable in real world applications yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version