Recent

Author Topic: Another set of ported Delphi components, please take a look  (Read 24374 times)

Nebula

Re: Another set of ported Delphi components, please take a look
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 08:25:41 pm »
As for NiceGrid, It isn't fully functional yet so I wouldn't bother too much with it unless you think you can help fix it.
Ah, Ok thanks, sounds like a dead end (for me) for the time being.
I'll keep hammering away trying to get a grid working to my satisfaction, without it being ridiculously complex!
It's almost enough to get me taking another look at Python  ;)
Cheers
Newbie testing Lazarus v1.0 - very impressed
Win 7 at work, XP and Linux Mint at home.
It all started with a ZX80 on a b/w telly........
Code: [Select]
Uses Smiles, GoodHumour, WantsToHelp;
{ never liked C - curly brackets are for comments! }

TurboRascal

• "Good sysadmin. Bad programmer."™
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 09:18:30 am »

Well, good luck finding a Python RAD that compares to Lazarus or Visual Studio ;)

I'd also love to have it if something like that existed...
Regards, ArNy the Turbo Rascal
-
"The secret is to give them what they need, not what they want." - Scotty, STTNG:Relics

Nebula

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 11:20:24 am »
Yes, that's the problem  :D
I'm looking for a Free and Open Source alternative to vb.net, but so far it's been one obstacle after another. Laz/FP shows great promise, but the controls just aren't as friendly as I'm used to - yet. I hope no-one gets the hump from that, I realise it's early days. And I don't expect the Earth on a plate - I would help if I could. As soon as I find gaps in the wiki, I'm happy to fill them in... best I can do.

I'm also looking at Python as it's "the new shiny" that I feel I should get familiar with (they do say it's easier to learn two languages at once!) but as you say, it's a scripting language at heart and the RAD stuff just isn't there. Maybe if you pay for closed software, but the Open avenue isn't currently leading anywhere where I'm thrilled to go. All the GUI toolkits (http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming) have drawbacks, either closed source, licencing issues, no devs all that bothered about Windows, or simply an unclear roadmap and still stuck in pre-v3 Python. And MS-SQL seems stuck in ODBC too, if I want Free.

The best of the bunch, for me, is looking like wxPython, with the XRC method of designing GUIs next on my list of things to play with. I'm told  wxFormBuilder might be worth looking at. But Lazarus it aint!

I have been delighted to find just how close Lazarus is to being a full answer for desktop apps, the community around it seems helpful, and I'll keep plugging away. It's great to return to Pascal after all these years, it really does need some evangelism to bring more devs over to have another look, it's a perfectly acceptable compiled language for most of us.

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 03:21:51 pm »
Learning to extend existing components with new functionality would take less time then that ;-)
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 04:20:37 pm »
It's almost enough to get me taking another look at Python 
I've looked at it, let it stay as what it is now: a scripting language, to extend your application at runtime. period. 8)

Avishai

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 04:38:07 pm »
One thing you will notice very quickly here on the forums is that people are very willing to help so long as you follow this guideline.

1. Be specific about your question/problem.
2. Show code if needed.
3. List your OS, Lazarus and FPC version.
4. Stay away from religion/politics.  Violating this one will get you scorched.

Good luck and happy programming.  :)
Lazarus Trunk / fpc 2.6.2 / Win32

TurboRascal

• "Good sysadmin. Bad programmer."™
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 08:29:34 pm »
4. Stay away from religion/politics.  Violating this one will get you scorched.

Including religious beliefs about programming languages and tools ;)
Regards, ArNy the Turbo Rascal
-
"The secret is to give them what they need, not what they want." - Scotty, STTNG:Relics

teos

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 09:47:10 pm »
Yes, that's the problem  :D
I'm looking for a Free and Open Source alternative to vb.net, but so far it's been one obstacle after another. Laz/FP shows great promise, but the controls just aren't as friendly as I'm used to - yet. I hope no-one gets the hump from that, I realise it's early days. And I don't expect the Earth on a plate - I would help if I could. As soon as I find gaps in the wiki, I'm happy to fill them in... best I can do.
I have just the opposite coming from Delphi: the .NET controls and the data access are not half as easy as I am used to. The lazarus/delphi approach is much more straighforward than you think.

I'm also looking at Python as it's "the new shiny" that I feel I should get familiar with (they do say it's easier to learn two languages at once!) but as you say, it's a scripting language at heart and the RAD stuff just isn't there. Maybe if you pay for closed software, but the Open avenue isn't currently leading anywhere where I'm thrilled to go. All the GUI toolkits (http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming) have drawbacks, either closed source, licencing issues, no devs all that bothered about Windows, or simply an unclear roadmap and still stuck in pre-v3 Python. And MS-SQL seems stuck in ODBC too, if I want Free.

The best of the bunch, for me, is looking like wxPython, with the XRC method of designing GUIs next on my list of things to play with. I'm told  wxFormBuilder might be worth looking at. But Lazarus it aint!

I have been delighted to find just how close Lazarus is to being a full answer for desktop apps, the community around it seems helpful, and I'll keep plugging away. It's great to return to Pascal after all these years, it really does need some evangelism to bring more devs over to have another look, it's a perfectly acceptable compiled language for most of us.

Maybe another option: what questions do you have and what problems? What help or what demo could help you start?

I think for a start, the first Delphi book will help you. If not: I'd be glad to help out. And I'm sure that all members of this forum do.

Nebula

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 10:34:57 pm »
Thanks all, I am making some progress exploring all this (although the data-aware controls fans may disagree in another thread!)

As for Python, looking at some of their wild ways is usually enough to scare me away... like http://code.ca-net.org/Python%20Cookbook  :D

Cheers

TinyPortal © 2005-2018