Recent

Author Topic: This is a biggie - WinRT version!  (Read 4145 times)

GFreeman

This is a biggie - WinRT version!
« on: May 20, 2014, 06:49:46 pm »
I realize this would be quite the undertaking..... but it'd be the first major programming platform on a cool range of devices. Not being able to run the simplest of tools and utilities on an o/s that oh so wants to be like its big brother unless they are specially written on a 'real' edition of Windows is unfortunate.
I can write VBScript and Jscript, even PowerShell. Just would love to write native apps too.

Rails

Re: This is a biggie - WinRT version!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 06:58:49 pm »
I realize this would be quite the undertaking..... but it'd be the first major programming platform on a cool range of devices. Not being able to run the simplest of tools and utilities on an o/s that oh so wants to be like its big brother unless they are specially written on a 'real' edition of Windows is unfortunate.

It may "want" to be its big brother, but it isn't, and will likely go away. The handwriting is on the wall. MS recently took a huge write down on unsold Surface RTs. They just aren't moving, so not too many people seem to want them.

BTW, did you know that Microsoft announced this very day their Surface Pro 3, a laptop replacement that they claim is also a DTR. They are moving in the other direction. The RT stuff is dead, or soon will be.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
Re: This is a biggie - WinRT version!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 12:36:16 am »
Worse, they afaik never supported running unsigned code anyway, needing a developer subscription to do any coding.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018