Recent

Author Topic: Compile on OS X 10.6 and use on later versions?  (Read 2808 times)

dieselnutjob

Compile on OS X 10.6 and use on later versions?
« on: June 19, 2014, 12:03:58 pm »
My main development is on Windows but I also have customers who use Linux and Mac OS X.

As I don't even own a Mac I have been borrowing a friend's Mac which runs OS X 10.6.

The app is a multithreaded app which talks to some custom hardware using an FTDI ft232r chip.  It uses the Carbon interface.

If the app works ok on 10.6 is there any reason why it would not work on later versions?

thanks, DNJ

Jonas Maebe

Re: Compile on OS X 10.6 and use on later versions?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 12:48:05 pm »
It should work fine, unless you make use of deprecated APIs that have been broken/removed in later OS versions (but that doesn't happen /that/ often; even after deprecation, most APIs remain available for a long time).

jwdietrich

• formatio reticularis
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 02:45:09 pm »
It should work fine, unless you make use of deprecated APIs that have been broken/removed in later OS versions (but that doesn't happen /that/ often; even after deprecation, most APIs remain available for a long time).

I agree, it shouldn't be a real problem. For years I develop on Mac OS X 10.5 for PPC Macs and on 10.6 for Intel-based Macs. All my applications work without any problem from Tiger (10.4) to Yosemite (10.10).

If you want to develop for older versions you should employ this trick, but this doesn't seem to be exactly your question.
function GetRandomNumber: integer; // xkcd.com
begin
  GetRandomNumber := 4; // chosen by fair dice roll. Guaranteed to be random.
end;

http://www.formatio-reticularis.de

Lazarus 2.2.6 | FPC 3.2.2 | PPC, Intel, ARM | macOS, Windows, Linux

dieselnutjob

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 03:10:45 pm »
It did work fine when I tried it, except that later versions of Mac OSX include Apple's own FTDI driver, and it wouldn't work with my program.  This can fixed by uninstalling Apple's driver and installing the official FTDI one for the time being.  Other than that it all works.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018