Forum > Other

fpGUI x wxWidgets

(1/8) > >>

valdir.marcos:
fpGUI is for Free Pascal the same as wxWidgets is to C++?
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/
https://www.wxwidgets.org/

marcov:
Seems that wxwidgets is now more going into native controls:
(from the site:)

"wxWidgets gives applications a truly native look and feel because it uses the platform's native API rather than emulating the GUI. It's also extensive, free, open-source and mature"

So no, the default Lazarus/LCL is more wxwidgets then philosophy wise, since it also uses native widgets as much as possible, while fpgui is more owner drawn.

dieselnutjob:
For me the big advantage of fpGUI is that I have customers who run Linux, and it means that I don't have to worry whether they have qt or gtk installed.

It also turns out that in Windows that the resultant exe is smaller and I think uses less resources.

Unfortunately I have had to maintain an LCL version for my Mac OSX customers.

marcov:

--- Quote from: dieselnutjob on August 02, 2014, 12:05:32 pm ---For me the big advantage of fpGUI is that I have customers who run Linux, and it means that I don't have to worry whether they have qt or gtk installed.

--- End quote ---

I haven't seen a Linux distro that can't with one or two clicks install both of them. But binary distribution on Linux is hard, I admit that, but never really saw much
advantage in fpgui with that. And fpgui has too many little usability issues.

--- Quote ---It also turns out that in Windows that the resultant exe is smaller and I think uses less resources.

--- End quote ---

Did you actually found cases where that was limiting ?  Half of the machines sold nowadays have way more than 4GB, which is already crazy amount of space for a win32 (even LCL) binary.

Personally, when I still did ownerdrawn stuff, customers were always complaining about it not being a proper windows application.

--- Quote ---Unfortunately I have had to maintain an LCL version for my Mac OSX customers.

--- End quote ---

benohb:

--- Quote ---I haven't seen a Linux distro that can't with one or two clicks install both of them. But binary distribution on Linux is hard, I admit that, but never really saw muchadvantage in fpgui with that. And fpgui has too many little usability issues.
--- End quote ---

GTK + QT there is no respect API and  binary compatible...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version