Recent

Author Topic: AutoComplete Lookup fields OR DBGrid embedded DBLookUpComboBox  (Read 6381 times)

JZS

Hi all,

Is it possible to make Lookup fields AutoComplete?

My requirement description:

I am forced to use SpreadSheet style (not by choice!) so I have to include DropDownList in on of the columns of a DBGrid (possibility to have more than one column) and the user has to start typing until match is found otherwise the data shall not get posted.

I had several tries on attaching DBLookUpComboBox on the desired column of DBGrid, but had difficulties in the functionality. Generally hard to maintain usability to be nice and friendly.

So finally I tried LookUp fields, it's nice and it saves OK, but one thing that is missing AutoComplete.
It's a must to have AutoComplete as a feature.

So what am after is, a way to have AutoComplete Lookup field. Or nice embedding of DBLookUpComboBox in DBGrid.

Any ideas,

Thanks in advance.

I use Laz1.2 on Win32 with Standard sqldb/mysql ctrls.
I use recent stable release

mangakissa

Re: AutoComplete Lookup fields OR DBGrid embedded DBLookUpComboBox
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 09:54:45 pm »
Jedi has a TjvLookupcombo, which has this ability. But not for Lazarus/FPC.
RXLib has basic the same Lookupcombobox (should be). RXLib is the earlier version of Jedi.

My only problem was; crashing when I tried to select a value in the box.

Lazarus 2.06 (64b) / FPC 3.0.4 / Windows 10
stucked on Delphi 10.3.1

taazz

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 10:08:25 pm »
RXLib is the earlier version of Jedi.

that is false, JEDI started up small with jcl and then a number of contribution where made including multiple suits and a lot of smaller single components. After JEDI had enough momentum to sustain it self as a library the RX contribution came after the library was left unattented for a few years. So RX parts are in JEDI library but JEDI has its own history and standing and can not be considered as the RX evolution.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

JZS

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 02:26:16 am »
RXLib has basic the same Lookupcombobox (should be).

Tried RXLib, its DBLookUpCombo doesn't interact smoothly as Lazarus' does. Even it has the same issue.

My only problem was; crashing when I tried to select a value in the box.
Users will be selecting values from the box  :o
I do not want that to be my only problem.

I can not move toward potential catastrophic stage and start all over again.

I prefer Laz default components unless another sufficient solution/component(s) exist.

mse

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 08:44:30 am »
I prefer Laz default components unless another sufficient solution/component(s) exist.
Just for inspiration: MSEgui has tdbwidgetgrid where any edit wiget can be inserted in order to build a data column. For miscellaneous lookup tasks there are tdbdropdownlistedit, tdbdropdownlisteditdb, tdbenumedit, tdbenumeditdb, tdbenumeditlb, tdbenum64editdb, tdbenum64editlb, tdbkeystringedit, tdbkeystringeditdb, tdbkeystringeditlb, tdropdownlisteditdb..., all with "auto completion"  facility.

JZS

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 03:17:35 pm »
MSEgui
Sounds interesting, downloaded, waiting to have time for exploring.

@mangakissa,
Interesting package (i.e. RXLib) but seems like I will go with the way of avoid troubles.
Probably avoiding the whole idea of SpreadSheet style and enforce my point of view.

Thank you all.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018