Recent

Author Topic: fpgui on Mac OSX ? windows 98 ?  (Read 15923 times)

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
Re: fpgui on Mac OSX ? windows 98 ?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 04:54:02 pm »
Note that the FPC 2.6.x series formally isn't supported for win98 (though afaik there are 3rd party builds that are)

dieselnutjob

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 10:52:30 am »
I don't need the compiler or an IDE to work on Windows 98.  I'm currently developing on a Vista laptop.  If I can compile on Vista or 7 and give the exe to a customer running 98 then that will be fine.

FPK

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2014, 10:59:09 am »
is MSEIDE using fpgui under the hood? or something else?
No, AFAIK fpGUI takes a bit inspiration (or maybe some code) a long time ago from mseGUI,

I think this is unlikely: fpGUI has a long history even before Graeme started to work on it. Its roots go back to the KCL being developed in 1999/2000 (?).

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2014, 11:17:33 am »
I think this is unlikely: fpGUI has a long history even before Graeme started to work on it. Its roots go back to the KCL being developed in 1999/2000 (?).

IIRC KCL (and Kassandra the IDE) was more VCL/LCL like. Sebastian then wanted something he could bring quicker to market and was frustrated with time that it took to do somewhat useful VCL emulation and first created fpgtk. Later he generalized that a bit and added windows support and that became fpgui. That was 2000-2001 I think and kcl-kassandra before 2000.

After 2003-2004 (win32 port was added by Micha in that period) he thought Lazarus was making good progress and dropped maintaining the fp* stuff.  I don't know if fpde has been used for the main docs by Michael, or only for other projects.

fpgtk is still in the FPC tree because it was used for a few GUI utils in the FPC tree, like FPDE, the fpdoc editor. Hasn't seen any action except minimal changes to keep them running. FPDE is still in utils/fpdoc/fpde. I'm not sure if there is a package still using it, a doc editor has been integrated with Lazarus now.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:26:43 am by marcov »

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2014, 08:15:12 pm »
I don't need the compiler or an IDE to work on Windows 98.  I'm currently developing on a Vista laptop.  If I can compile on Vista or 7 and give the exe to a customer running 98 then that will be fine.
I do exactly that, and my applications run without problems.
--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

dieselnutjob

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2014, 10:42:11 pm »
after a few days of solid coding (and no divorce by some miracle) I have now converted my entire project to fpgui.
this is a project with I think over 10,000 lines of code and four different threads

one is a gui
one polls the gui to make it poll the backend and update the gui
one talks to a car (so numerous proprietary protocol stacks for different car ECUs)
one talks to the interface box between the pc and the car

so far it works fine on windows and Linux, and yes the exe is a lot smaller

I think I'm going to stick with this.  Thanks fpgui guys!

Interestingly a bug has disappeared as well.  With the normal Lazarus stuff I was getting random clicks on the first column of a stringgrid as rows were added (at least I think that is what was happening).  With fpgui the problem has disappeared.

dieselnutjob

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 08:51:01 pm »
another mac os x question

to compile my program on Mac OS X,
I guess I install lazarus and fpc first using mac installers as normal
then open my lpi file
then I have to do "Package" then "Add Package File"
for Windows I have been opening fpgui\src\corelib\gdi\fpggui_tookit.lpk
for Linux I have been opening fpgui\src\corelib\x11\fpggui_tookit.lpk

what do I do in Mac OS Lazarus IDE?

thanks