Forum > Beginners

making 2.7 compiler with 2.6.4 release

<< < (2/2)

pm:
Long delay yet ... some feedback...

Those steps were extremely helpful as far as building FPC v2.7.1 including fpc.exe.  I did not need to build Lazarus itself yet.

In terms of proofreading the steps:

a) I didn't have a release path for Lazarus when I installed.  Just "{path}\Lazarus\startlazarus.exe" 

b) My only choice of bin folder was bin\i386-win32 instead of bin\x86_64-win64 even though I am using Windows 7 64-bit.

c) I would add one comment about the BAT in step [4] which is that the INSTALL_PREFIX represents the TARGET path for the newly compiled version. 

Note: when first trying this, I got errors at the end of the make process.  Error snippet follows ( yes, my svn trunk is in D:/Apps/FreePascal/2.7.0/fpc ) :

D:/Apps/FreePascal/2.7.0/fpc/utils/fpcm/bin/i386-win32/fpcmake.exe -p -Ti386-win
32 Makefile.fpc
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, D:/Apps/FreePascal/2.7.0/fpc/utils/fpcm/bin/i
386-win32/fpcmake.exe -p -Ti386-win32 Makefile.fpc, ...) failed.
make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
make[3]: *** [fpc_install] Error 2

It was true that this file did not exist
D:/Apps/FreePascal/2.7.0/fpc/utils/fpcm/bin/i386-win32/fpcmake.exe
so I copied in the binary from {path}Lazarus\fpc\2.6.4\bin\i386-win32\fpcmake.exe and then the make process ended with success messages.

Thank you kindly for the steps and explanations.

Ann

kapibara:
Thanks for the feedback.

--- Quote ---b) My only choice of bin folder was bin\i386-win32 instead of bin\x86_64-win64 even though I am using Windows 7 64-bit.
--- End quote ---

I guess it doesn't matter if you have 64bit windows. If you install 32bit FPC/Lazarus then you probably get bin\i386-win32 instead of bin\x86_64-win64 anyway. Didnt think of that when I wrote the steps.

--- Quote ---c) I would add one comment about the BAT in step [4] which is that the INSTALL_PREFIX represents the TARGET path for the newly compiled version. 

--- End quote ---

Updated the "steps" with your INSTALL_PREFIX comment.

Will keep an eye out for what happens with fpcmake.exe here when I install/compile FPC next time.

BigChimp:

--- Quote from: kapibara on March 27, 2014, 09:11:48 pm ---    Since this is a fresh install of fpc, you have no fpc.cfg.
    Copy c:\lazarus\release\fpc\2.6.2\bin\x86_64-win64\fpc.cfg to
    c:\fpc\2.7.1\bin\x86_64-win64 and edit the paths.

--- End quote ---
I'd suggest rather using fpcmkcfg to get a correct fpc.cfg without need to edit paths etc..

--- Quote from: kapibara on March 27, 2014, 09:11:48 pm ---    Now Add c:\fpc\2.7.1\bin\x86_64-win64 to your system PATH:
    * In Explorer, Rightclick Computer: choose Properties.
    * Choose Advanced system settings
    * Click the Environment Variables button
    * In System Variables Listbox, scroll down to the Path variable
    and doubleclick it. Add c:\fpc\2.7.1\bin\x86_64-win64; at the
    BEGINNING of the line, before everything else and dont forget the
    semicolon.

--- End quote ---
Would see this as an optional step. Yes, it's nice to be able to compile on the command line but if you have multiple fpc installs (as I think this guide uses), it can get messy.
Maybe easier to make a .cmd file like

--- Code: ---@echo off
rem fpc271.cmd
rem FPC compiler, development environment
rem Requires NT style Windows, so no 95,98,ME
rem %* represents all arguments on the command line, so you can pass more than 9
 (%1 %2 %3 etc only go up to 9)
set oldpath=%path%
set path=c:\development\fpctrunk\bin\i386-win32\;%path%
c:\development\fpctrunk\bin\i386-win32\fpc.exe %*
set path=%oldpath%

--- End code ---

--- Quote from: kapibara on March 27, 2014, 09:11:48 pm ---    Now REBOOT! Yes. Otherwise there can be a mismatch between release version
    of fpc and the freshly compiled fpc.

--- End quote ---
See previous remark. In addition, if you change the paths in your Lazarus setup, there's no need to reboot as long as you only use Lazarus. That said, I do understand your remark on rebooting as it keeps things clearer with your instructions.

--- Quote from: kapibara on March 27, 2014, 09:11:48 pm ---[6] Build Lazarus. From a NEW commandprompt, go to c:\lazarus\LazSVN and run:
    make clean bigide

--- End quote ---
Would need to be adjusted with FPC=whatever or something if following my suggestion above

--- Quote from: kapibara on March 27, 2014, 09:11:48 pm ---    a directory under C:\Users\Elvis\AppData\Local\lazarus

--- End quote ---
Nice username ;)

--- Quote from: kapibara on March 27, 2014, 09:11:48 pm ---Also Lazarus can be independently update with Tortoise, just get
new sources and do a 'make clean bigide'.

--- End quote ---
Or easier: via the rebuild Lazarus command in the tools menu. Advantage: FPC path is recognized correctly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version