Recent

Author Topic: Any Haiku OS users?  (Read 15264 times)

vicot

Any Haiku OS users?
« on: March 18, 2014, 04:58:18 pm »
I have noticed that, while Haiku is a supported platform, there is no Haiku child board on the Lazarus forum, while there is for other operating systems.

This raises the question: how many Haiku users are there on this forum?

If you are one of them, please drop a line and we could get the Haiku child board started.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
Re: Any Haiku OS users?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 07:03:15 pm »
For a few messages, just use the "other" board.

hinst

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 07:21:30 pm »
Finally someone is working on a system which is free but not Linux
Too late to escape fate

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 07:54:50 pm »

FreeBSD has been supported for 13 years now.

hinst

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 05:01:33 pm »
FreeBSD is Linux for me, even if it's technically not Linux, it is still too similar to consider it being not Linux
Too late to escape fate

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 07:30:57 pm »
FreeBSD is Linux for me ...

:)
No, BSD Unix is not Linux. It is another variant of Unix.
If you say "FreeBSD and Linux are both Unix" then it is more correct.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

zeljko

• http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User:Zeljan
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 07:43:16 pm »
And they aren't so similar as hinst says.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 08:26:28 pm »
No, BSD Unix is not Linux. It is another variant of Unix.
If you say "FreeBSD and Linux are both Unix" then it is more correct.

FreeBSD is an Unix derivative. Linux is a Unix clone. Totally different :-)

Linux Is Not UniX

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 04:29:00 pm »

Hehehe... You clearly missed out on.... FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenSolaris (now called something else I believe), ReactOS etc. There are plenty of free and open source operating systems that ain't Linux.

I've personally switched to FreeBSD about 2 years ago. Way more stable that Linux, and much simple to maintain (more consistent and way better docs).
--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 04:37:15 pm »
I've personally switched to FreeBSD about 2 years ago. Way more stable that Linux, and much simple to maintain (more consistent and way better docs).
For Bsd vs Linux flame wars, what was your experience on Linux instability? (what is exactly more stable?)

zeljko

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 08:01:30 pm »
For Bsd vs Linux flame wars, what was your experience on Linux instability? (what is exactly more stable?)

Same question from me to Graeme.

tatamata

• ZMSQL - SQL enhanced in-memory database
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 12:30:32 am »
Last time I used Haiku (maybe a year ago), I was impressed with it's performance on a damn netbook.
Unbeliveably fast on constrained machine.
I think Lazarus on Haiku is worthy of trying...

zeljko

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 07:20:55 am »
afaik lazarus qtlcl works on haiku, ther's even define for haiku in qt4.pas

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 09:32:12 am »
I'm referring to system and application stability. In Linux, everybody wants to reinvent the wheel, every 3-6 months. How many sound servers has Linux already had, how many boot up sequences has linux already had? Instead of working through the problems and making on service reliable and stable, they decide to start a complete new way of doing it! How consistent is system configuration between Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Red Hat, SuSE etc? Not much, basically each distro must maintain there own knowledge base of info - making it very frustrating for the end-user. How good is system documentation for Linux distros - pretty terrible (Ubuntu is probably tops here). As for actual system stablity (as in system hangs, crashes etc). Ubuntu has gone through a terrible phase where each new release was worse than the one before. So much so, that I started looking at other Linux distros in the end.

FreeBSD on the other had solves all the above problems. Great documentation, consistent and stable configuration layout. Base OS stuff goes in /etc/ and ALL user installed stuff goes in /usr/local/etc/. FreeBSD has also been working on improving existing services - working through the problems, not just give up and start something new.

So for me personally, FreeBSD was a breath of fresh air. Great support, great up-to-date documentation, longer release cycles (making for more stable systems), better integration and testing between Base OS, Base Utilities. A consistent way of installing apps, allowing you to choose what features you want and reducing dependencies (no millions of package dependencies I so often found in Ubuntu Linux - eg: Installing FlameRobin forced me to install an older Firebird Library than I wanted to use).

I've installed my current FreeBSD 9.1 system two years ago. It runs 24-7 and has many server services running too - so not just a desktop. It is fantastic and stable! Never experienced a single system lock-up (not that I'm suggesting it isn't possible). It just keeps ticking along happily and allowing me to get on with my work. The way an OS should be! Plus ZFS (file system) sold me on the FreeBSD idea too. I'll never use any other file system again, as I have lost too much data too many times on the EXT2/3/4 Linux file systems.

Getting back to the topic at hand. I have looked at Haiku OS a few times over the years. Ran it on a laptop for a while. I was very very impressed with what it had on offer. It was very fast too - even on a low resource laptop. I love the user level attributes built into the file-system and desktop search tool. I hope they become a new OS contender some day.
--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

zeljko

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 02:44:05 pm »
I've installed my current FreeBSD 9.1 system two years ago. It runs 24-7 and has many server services running too - so not just a desktop. It is fantastic and stable! Never experienced a single system lock-up (not that I'm suggesting it isn't possible). It just keeps ticking along happily and allowing me to get on with my work. The way an OS should be! Plus ZFS (file system) sold me on the FreeBSD idea too. I'll never use any other file system again, as I have lost too much data too many times on the EXT2/3/4 Linux file systems.

I've installed my FC 14 few years ago and there's no "instability" or something else. It just works.
If you don't want to install distro which is released every 6 months or so then install LTS one and again you won't have problems
with often releases and such things.FreeBSD isn't that much better than linux (according to your arguments).Besides that you can
have ZFS on linux too afair.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018