Recent

Author Topic: Broken Installation  (Read 25778 times)

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
Re: Broken Installation
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2014, 03:29:50 pm »
Today I changed the lazarus directory's ownership back to root on my current installation and can confirm that the IDE can be rebuilt if Clean All is not selected.

Cool! Thanks for the info.
Maybe there were more problems in older versions, I don't know. I will try to hide the " Clean all" option and get it into 1.2. Then it would have one trap less for new users, and the Configure Build Lazarus dialog would be less intimidating.

The Example Project Manager (Tools -> Example Projects ...) could maybe help with compiling examples. It would offer to copy a project to a better place when a user wants to open it.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Rails

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2014, 03:44:10 pm »

Cool! Thanks for the info.
Maybe there were more problems in older versions, I don't know. I will try to hide the " Clean all" option and get it into 1.2. Then it would have one trap less for new users, and the Configure Build Lazarus dialog would be less intimidating.

The Example Project Manager (Tools -> Example Projects ...) could maybe help with compiling examples. It would offer to copy a project to a better place when a user wants to open it.

Sounds good to me.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 03:57:32 pm by Rails »

Rails

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2014, 05:23:45 pm »
Juha, I just found another problem with the lazarus directory being owned by root. Run/Clean up Build Files now produces a string of errors starting with Unable to delete file "/usr/lib64/lazarus/components/lazutils/lib/x86_64-linux/LazUtils.compiled".

While selecting Skip errors bypasses the errors, I assume this stuff needs a fix too.

Edit:

Just to be clear, the project I am working on has its own directory owned by the user.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 06:38:50 pm by Rails »

the.weavster

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2014, 08:39:37 am »
Rails and the.weavster, does this mean that you never tried building Lazarus WITHOUT the "Clean all"?
How is that even possible? When you install packages, there is no selection for "Clean all". It is available only in the Configure Build Lazarus dialog.
The whole setting is a hack made by Mattias some years ago.
It was the very first thing I did with a completely virgin install. If the problem is to do with a 'clean all' setting then it is set by default because I didn't even know it existed.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2014, 10:57:59 am »
It was the very first thing I did with a completely virgin install. If the problem is to do with a 'clean all' setting then it is set by default because I didn't even know it existed.

Very strange. Does it work for you now?

The build is done with some big functions with lots of parameters. I must refactor them into a class before trying to fix problems.
It means this will not go to 1.2 release. Building system is partly black magic anyway, this is risky and must be tested well.

I will look at the "Run/Clean up Build Files" issue later.

the.weavster

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2014, 09:05:31 pm »
Very strange. Does it work for you now?
I opened a terminal and typed:

$ sudo lazarus-ide

I added lazreports and weblaz and then did the rebuild, now everything's working.

AFAIC it's no big deal, in fact it's sensible that if I installed it with sudo I should have to rebuild it with sudo. I think a simple reminder note on the rebuild screen should suffice, just to stop melons like me tripping themselves up.

Perhaps the examples should be installed somewhere under ~/

Thanks again both of you for your help.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2014, 11:51:38 pm »
opened a terminal and typed:
$ sudo lazarus-ide
I added lazreports and weblaz and then did the rebuild, now everything's working.

The idea was to do it without sudo. Can you please try again as a normal user. Just don't touch "Clean All". Maybe delete ~/.lazarus again before testing. It seems only you still have this problem. Rails confirmed that only "Clean All" causes problems for him. Maybe some old versions had more problems, I don't know, but now we test 1.2RC2.

AFAIC it's no big deal, in fact it's sensible that if I installed it with sudo I should have to rebuild it with sudo. I think a simple reminder note on the rebuild screen should suffice, just to stop melons like me tripping themselves up.

No, it is important that you can install packages without sudo rights.
Lazarus does not support dynamic packages now, but installing static packages is almost as easy from Package -> Install/Uninstall packages ...
You don't need to think of it, you just install by clicking a button.
Things would be much worse if you had to quit Lazarus, run it as sudo, install a package, quit it again and then start it again as normal user.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018