Recent

Author Topic: Anyone else missing Windows Mobile?  (Read 15963 times)

dgaspary

Re: Anyone else missing Windows Mobile?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 02:42:44 pm »
The funny thing is that both iOS and Android do NOT have stock file explorer. So does that mean they don't have this problem? No program = no problem, huh? In my opinion, not providing user with such basic tool as file explorer is technological crime. I can imagine the developers from Google were like "Oh, iPhone doesn't have file explorer? Perhaps it is okay for us not to include it in our phones as well".

No, it's kind a trend, to hide the system, even the user files, protect the user from himself. Even in desktop it seems to be a new trend. To replace (or to prioritize at least) searching over file browsing. I don't like it too.

Quote from: hinst
Android is popular. But no matter how popular it is or will ever be it is cr@p. All IT professionals should feel ashamed for what happened to mobiles

Your opinion seems to be very passionate. Between Ios and android, I choose Android. Not a big fan, but I don't see a reason to all this hatred.

And a lot of people really love Android/iOS. It's not just a matter of lack of alternatives.

And I believe that your passion for Windows mobile is rare. Before Ios and android I had a nokla with symbian, looking to buy a new device I asked some *really* funs of mobile technology and microsoft and all of them today use Ios or android without missing Windows Mobile. They classify the OS "good at time".

Anyway, I hope(but find hard to happens) some of the Open Source Linux alternatives to become commercially viable.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 05:38:28 am »
The funny thing is that both iOS and Android do NOT have stock file explorer. So does that mean they don't have this problem? No program = no problem, huh? In my opinion, not providing user with such basic tool as file explorer is technological crime. I can imagine the developers from Google were like "Oh, iPhone doesn't have file explorer? Perhaps it is okay for us not to include it in our phones as well".
I don't know the actual reason, but IMO it's customization that speaks. No basic file explorer but there are a lot of them on the market. However, instead of file explorer, I'm more unhappy due to absence of terminal app. Google doesn't seem to see iPhone as base of their decision at all, only MIUI ROM developers do.

jarto

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 09:22:47 am »
If you guys want to develop mobile applications with Pascal, Smart Mobile Studio is the way to go. It's a Delphi- or Lazarus-like RAD, which compiles Pascal to html5/javascript -applications. They can be run on any device, which has a decent web browser. You can even make native applications for iOS, Android, WP7, WP8, Windows8, Blackberry, Symbian etc. by packaging the html5/js -application with Adobe's PhoneGap. It spits out the needed apk, ipk etc. Phonegap brings a set of apis, which let you send push notifications, access the camera etc.

I realize that using html5/js is not as native as many would hope, but it's a great way of developing in a world where every phone has it's own development platform, own programming language and a set of restrictions on what executables can be run on the device.

So far I've tested iOS and Android and this all works beautifully. Phonegap builds my code for every platform without errors but I haven't tested any of the other platforms yet.

A public beta of Smart is available here: http://smartmobilestudio.com/2013/12/
Phonegap can be found here: https://build.phonegap.com/

Even if you have no plans to buy Smart, do give it a try. It's a really interesting idea.

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 11:51:43 am »
If you guys want to develop mobile applications with Pascal, Smart Mobile Studio is the way to go. It's a Delphi- or Lazarus-like RAD, which compiles Pascal to html5/javascript -applications.
Just thought I would mention that Michael van Canneyt (FPC core developer) is currently working on this exact feature for Free Pascal. He is taking some time off his day-to-day work, to work on this feature full-time.
--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

TinyPortal © 2005-2018