Recent

Author Topic: Differences between Database Components?  (Read 3923 times)

Giu

Differences between Database Components?
« on: January 07, 2014, 10:14:03 am »
Hi all,

I see a lot of components to work with databases from Lazarus. I see Zeos is very popular. I saw today IBX was updated for Lazarus too, and there are SQLdb.

I would like to know, if there are some site to see what the main differences between them, because, I think SQLdb is the best option, being bundled and supported officially by Lazarus, but don't know if I'm missing something not using others like Zeos and so on.

Regards.

Note: Don't know if, for example, Greyhound, ghORM and so on uses it's own layer, or it's based over SQLdb for example.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Re: Differences between Database Components?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 10:33:40 am »
No website for their comparisons AFAIK, you could infer yourself. People use each usually due to familiarity. ZEOS is available for both Delphi and Lazarus, so people coming from Delphi with ZEOS usually will use ZEOS again when coding in Lazarus. Greyhound is another layer on top of them, which can be tuned to use which backend. ghORM is my ORM layer on top of Greyhound.

exdatis

• exdatis
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 10:40:26 am »
I think SQLdb is the best option
Agree. Earlier I used ZEOS and I had problems, I'm not sure how it works now, but SQLdb is stable, fast and easy to use and in my opinion the best solution.
Regards.

Giu

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 11:14:28 am »
No website for their comparisons AFAIK, you could infer yourself. People use each usually due to familiarity. ZEOS is available for both Delphi and Lazarus, so people coming from Delphi with ZEOS usually will use ZEOS again when coding in Lazarus. Greyhound is another layer on top of them, which can be tuned to use which backend. ghORM is my ORM layer on top of Greyhound.

I suppose with ghORM and Greyhound, data should be "writed" over components by hand (no DBEdit, DBGrid and so on). This could be cool otherwise, because We would like to develop over a similar MVC model.

mangakissa

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 09:42:31 am »
I see SQLdb as a tool like DBExpress in Delphi.
Lazarus 2.06 (64b) / FPC 3.0.4 / Windows 10
stucked on Delphi 10.3.1

exdatis

• exdatis
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 10:10:36 am »
I see SQLdb as a tool like DBExpress in Delphi.
I can not agree. SQLdb is much better, fast  and simple,  powerfull, cursor position is implemented with quite different ideas, etc.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 12:50:33 pm »
I suppose with ghORM and Greyhound, data should be "writed" over components by hand (no DBEdit, DBGrid and so on). This could be cool otherwise, because We would like to develop over a similar MVC model.
Yup, the emphasize is not RAD, but easy hand coding.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018