Recent

Author Topic: how to make money creating a program in Pascal for Ubuntu OS  (Read 5832 times)

samat_bazarbaev

how to make money creating a program in Pascal for Ubuntu OS
« on: November 21, 2013, 03:53:47 pm »
Is that possible? I'm a newbie

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Re: how to make money creating a program in Pascal for Ubuntu OS
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 04:12:35 pm »
Yes, please browse the "application gallery" and "projects using lazarus" articles in the wiki. Some of them are commercial.

ajosifoski

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 04:15:32 pm »
interesting topic!

Does ubuntu have store?
Even windows is new with his  store for win8.1

From my opinion go to web development (php, django, or ruby) or iOS-android, or flash-flex-actionscript or even c/c++ for desktop dev or something  else.
For now it is possible to make a web page for your idea and that way lazarus is great. Just make a program free with limitations (or trial) and pro without limitations.

Creating open source on sourceforge or google code? Excelent, but if you have enough money or want to build some portfolio as newbye.
Hm, even cobol have more  tags on stackoverflow than lazarus (~400 > ~300) not to mention fortran with his 20.000+ tags.

Let's sumarize: For developing self idea lazarus is great also for open source programs. For hiring delphi is 100 times better for now, but if i choose (not, I'm going in web dev & lazarus for developing self idea) for hiring will choose Qt C++ rather then lazarus.

Scoops

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 04:23:57 pm »
Personally i would say that making money on a linux distro would be hard.
I would prefer 'how to make money creating a program in Pascal using Lazarus'

You code you application using Ubuntu if you like, and then compile for Windows then Mac...
Thats the advantage of Lazarus/free pascal, multi platform.  Maybe Mac and windows
users would pay if the application was good, but i dont see Ubuntu/Linux users paying.

chrnobel

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 04:33:36 pm »
interesting topic!

Does ubuntu have store?
Lazarus programs can be used on more or less all linux's, so why make Ubuntu lock-in?
From my opinion go to web development (php, django, or ruby)
Lazarus is far more superior if you want to make really powerful and secure webapplications - and the benefit from a compiled language compared to PHP et. al. crap is huge.
or iOS-android, or flash-flex-actionscript or even c/c++ for desktop dev or something  else.
Blah, blah, blah.
Creating open source on sourceforge or google code? Excelent, but if you have enough money or want to build some portfolio as newbye.
If you have a clear defined idea, you can use Lazarus, as you can use any other language - but there is no such thing as free beer.
Hm, even cobol have more  tags on stackoverflow than lazarus (~400 > ~300) not to mention fortran with his 20.000+ tags.
Could be that most serious Lazarus users are using this forum (or it could be because things are so much easier to do in Lazarus, so a lot of the questions are not necessary).
For hiring delphi is 100 times better for now
Bull, no one are hiring Delphi programmes either - but a skilled Delphi programmer can switch directly to Lazarus
for hiring will choose Qt C++ rather then lazarus.
Make you own choice, and select your own troubles.

ajosifoski

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 04:43:18 pm »
Everything would be different if not greed is present in large corporations. For example delphi new xe5 architect 4500eu.

If in near history (when open source was started, ~90?). If borland & microsoft then offer better licencing model everything today will be different. Open source will not be developed like now, for sure.

Solution for that time (maybe & now) is to make middle model licencing, for example.
You are student? Unemployed<-?
Trust can be like you can pay much smaller price or even will put you in some debt!

Even with that today  obvious present greed, they (corporations) are still succesfull. Adobe, MS, Apple. Even for their developers!<-

I have in plan one idea to create web page for it (free+pro) but certanly will mention different price for students/unemploys<- etc etc
Trust from open source! Great! Trust with money! Different prices! Will not be with open code.

Just to mention some open source projects  are  Very  blessed  for developers like  php, django, ruby etc.

So the main question is. Will (like is stated in John 11 from Bible) project Lazarus will rice from ?

Edit. To add this.. In my  country Macedonia pascal is still present in school chalenges with C++ & Java. Also very good decision from someone on power was made for pupils to learn only C++ in high schools. (Reasons are obviuos)

Also, there was some wind (taifun) in Philiphines. So this questions about programming [& or and] excistence are not primary :)
Never end to end of time.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 05:02:21 pm by ajosifoski »

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 05:09:32 pm »
The idea of creating feature limited free applications that has pro version with full features often works these days, but you will really need to classify the features correctly. For example, Kingsoft Office, which offers most features in its free edition and only advanced ones (such as VB scripting) in its pro one.
Let's sumarize: For developing self idea lazarus is great also for open source programs. For hiring delphi is 100 times better for now, but if i choose (not, I'm going in web dev & lazarus for developing self idea) for hiring will choose Qt C++ rather then lazarus.
Chance doesn't come by itself, somebody has to create it (how do you think Objective-C could raise so high in 2010 if it's not because Apple created a chance for it?). That's why I'm writing my office's internal tools in Lazarus, with the hope that when I resign, my office will start spreading job offer in Lazarus. As with all my commercial softwares whose client doesn't care what the apps are written in.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018