Recent

Author Topic: Which database servers are real freeware?  (Read 8661 times)

tr_escape

• sector name toys | respect to spectre
    • Github:
Which database servers are real freeware?
« on: November 12, 2013, 03:11:17 pm »
Hello everyone,

I am looking for freeware database server.Which database servers are real freeware?

What is your advices?

Best regards,

taazz

Re: Which database servers are real freeware?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 03:28:34 pm »
PosgreSQL, Firebird are free to use and share no strings attached at any level.
MySQL requiers a commercial license to be included with your own commercial software and installation but as long as your clients download and install MySQL them selves there is no problem.
I heard that Ingres has a community edition that can be used but I never used it or dig deep enough to have an opinion about the product.

Hope that helps a bit.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 05:47:11 pm »
SQLite is the most liberal dbms ever, its license is public domain :o

mangakissa

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 01:37:38 pm »
MariaDB is 99% the same as MySQL and it a spin off. Sometimes they do something more on the database. And it is 100% free.
Lazarus 2.06 (64b) / FPC 3.0.4 / Windows 10
stucked on Delphi 10.3.1

exdatis

• exdatis
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 01:24:37 pm »
For serious projects: Firebird or PostgreSQL.
Regards

cpalx

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 04:38:36 pm »
 i am agree with @exdatis, PostgreSQL and Firebird. Both are great DBMS, but i think PostgreSQL is better.

bigeno

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 07:08:30 pm »
Just starting work on my new db project but I I can recommend SQLite. Very liberal license, fast, and single file db.

taazz

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 07:26:09 pm »
1) SQLite is not a database, its an ultra CSV file nothing more.
2) SQLite does not support protected multi process access only single user access and exclusive lock
3) SQLite does not have a server concurrent access, transactions or anything else that a server should have.
4) as for stored procedure, functions, triggers, checks and all the base bells an whistles you find today in all databases SQLite falls lower than Paradox or DBase3

So based on the question SQLite does not qualify for a position on the list.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

bigeno

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 08:12:24 pm »
1) SQLite is not a database, its an ultra CSV file nothing more.
LOL
2) SQLite does not support protected multi process access only single user access and exclusive lock
3) SQLite does not have a server concurrent access, transactions or anything else that a server should have.
4) as for stored procedure, functions, triggers, checks and all the base bells an whistles you find today in all databases SQLite falls lower than Paradox or DBase3
Yes, SQLite does not have TCP/IP server,etc. differences are described here http://www.sqlite.org/serverless.html
all depends what is needed, if "local/disk" db, then is ok.
And SQLite have transactions.

So based on the question SQLite does not qualify for a position on the list.
I think you have complex to SQLite, not even comparing it to the dbase3 ?! :) only to CSV ? come one.

goodname

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 09:37:30 pm »
SQLite is a embedded database engine. It has basic database features such as transactions, views, and triggers as well as advanced features like full text search. It is arguably the most widely used database engine in use today. If you need a embedded database then SQLite should be near the top of your list of choices regardless of open/closed source considerations. Since the original question was about server based engines SQLite does not qualify.
http://sqlite.org/famous.html

For open source server based database engines I suggest PostgreSQL, Firebird, then MariaDB the MySQL branch.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 09:53:18 pm by goodname »

taazz

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 10:15:16 pm »
I think you have complex to SQLite, not even comparing it to the dbase3 ?! :) only to CSV ? come one.

Read this http://www.sqlite.org/faq.html#q3 this alone drops SQLite's status from database to data container, there was a document that was explaining the comparison of integers and how it worked in sqlite that it gave the distinct impression that the comparison was string based, but I can't find at the moment.
DBase3 supported shared access through lan as well as through multiple applications on the same computer and true data types.

I have nothing against SQLite but except the sql commands that it can run it has the same abilities as the typed files in FPC with a custom BTree implementation for indices. If that is all you want then do try to use the ported turbopower btree filer which has true data types and shared access, you will be far better off than with sqlite.

Now that I said all that let me remind you the question the original poster made.
Which database servers are real freeware?

SQlite is not a server so even if it had everything I expect from a database today it does not qualify on the grounds of not being a server.

bigeno

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 10:46:05 pm »
Read this http://www.sqlite.org/faq.html#q3 this alone drops SQLite's status from database to data container, there was a document that was explaining the comparison of integers and how it worked in sqlite that it gave the distinct impression that the comparison was string based, but I can't find at the moment.
Yes, that is unusual, but if application work with simple data entry based only on edit form controls without "scientific calculations" then in that case, it may some sens at least for compatibility reasons and simplicity, in many cases it is a good solution.

SQlite is not a server so even if it had everything I expect from a database today it does not qualify on the grounds of not being a server.
This word (server) has many meanings, depending on usage  :)

taazz

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 11:20:15 pm »
Yes, that is unusual, but if application work with simple data entry based only on edit form controls without "scientific calculations" then in that case, it may some sens at least for compatibility reasons and simplicity, in many cases it is a good solution.
Yes there are valid uses of sqlite including usage embedded systems and mobile devices where space is limited but it can't be used as the main database of any mid or high level application. I guess some types of applications like code librarian todo lists  or even scheduling could be based on sqlite but it will make for a very fat client application.

This word (server) has many meanings, depending on usage  :)
Enlighten me, what are the various server meanings? In my experience server is any software that can serve multiple clients and this usually is done through a tcp/ip stack these days but various protocols can be considered.

bigeno

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 11:33:38 pm »
Enlighten me, what are the various server meanings? In my experience server is any software that can serve multiple clients and this usually is done through a tcp/ip stack these days but various protocols can be considered.
I was thinking more about meanings for the author of this thread, like CIF/NFS/other disk share or localhost, of course you're right that sqlite is not a database "server".  :) of course I may guess wrong what the author had in mind.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018