Recent

Author Topic: Printer4Lazarus on openSUSE 12.3  (Read 3787 times)

LongTimePascaler

Printer4Lazarus on openSUSE 12.3
« on: October 08, 2013, 03:48:20 pm »
I prototyped a small GUI on Windows Vista (don't ask .. I just did) and have tried to port it to Linux (openSUSE).  I am using the FPC and Lazarus installations from the openSUSE repositories.

When I try to build my program on Linux I get the error message:

Write error: Unable to create file "/usr/lib64/lazarus/components/printers/printer4lazarus.pas"
File: /usr/lib64/lazarus/components/printers/printer4lazarus.pas
package main source file

Now, quite apart from the fact that there is already a printer4lazarus.pas in /usr/lib64/lazarus/components/printers/ put there by the installation package, why would Lazarus (or FPC) be trying to create the file, and how can I stop it from trying?

Thank you for any assistance on this.

Cyrax

Re: Printer4Lazarus on openSUSE 12.3
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 03:58:24 pm »
Try to run Lazarus with root privilege.

If you can, try to reinstall FPC and Lazarus under your home directory.

Rails

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 07:01:41 pm »
I change the owner of /usr/lib64/lazarus and everything below it to my regular user, which takes care of the problem. Probably not the safest way to do it, but it does work.

LongTimePascaler

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 09:51:59 am »
I change the owner of /usr/lib64/lazarus and everything below it to my regular user, which takes care of the problem. Probably not the safest way to do it, but it does work.

I'd thought about that, but it really isn't usual to make part of the system's library directory writable by users.  Having said that it would be safer to do that than to run everyday applications such as IDEs as root.  I have noticed that it is not unusual for applications on Windows to require the user to have system privileges (and so I don't use those applications) or to write into an application's sub-directory in the Program Files directory.  I expect that becomes rather messy on multi-user machines and just isn't considered good practice on grown-ups' operating systems.

I don't think Lazarus tried to do this on Vista, so that if it is doing it on Linux (and it seems from Rails's post this is a known problem) then that's either a coding bug or a design defect.  If somebody can point me to the Lazarus developers' defect tracking system I'll raise this there.

Thanks for your help.

BigChimp

• Add to the wiki - it's free ;)
    • FPCUp, PaperTiger scanning and other open source projects
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 10:24:19 am »
Bugtracker link, top left of your screen.
Want quicker answers to your questions? Read http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#What_is_the_correct_way_to_ask_questions_in_the_forum.3F

Open source including papertiger OCR/PDF scanning:
https://bitbucket.org/reiniero

Lazarus trunk+FPC trunk x86, Windows x64 unless otherwise specified

LongTimePascaler

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 11:44:02 am »

Thanks.  The defect report number is 0025173.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018