Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus/FPC on Embedded ARM Linux  (Read 16761 times)

avra

Lazarus/FPC on Embedded ARM Linux
« on: April 14, 2006, 10:45:50 am »
I would like to use Lazarus/FPC on Embedded ARM or Motorola Coldfire Linux boards. In both console and GUI mode. Is it possible somehow? So far I have only found arm-linux-fpc-2.0.0.i386-linux.tar on official FPC site. Is it possible to cross compile for ARM? Can I generate binaries from Windows Lazarus IDE? If not, can I do it at least from Linux Lazarus IDE?

Avra

felipemdc

• Administrator
Re: Lazarus/FPC on Embedded ARM Linux
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 02:17:24 pm »
Quote from: "avra"
I would like to use Lazarus/FPC on Embedded ARM or Motorola Coldfire Linux boards. In both console and GUI mode. Is it possible somehow? So far I have only found arm-linux-fpc-2.0.0.i386-linux.tar on official FPC site. Is it possible to cross compile for ARM?

Of course it is!

You should be aware that the compiler can generate software for arm-linux normally. What is missing is support on Lazarus, a smaller part of the puzzle.

This means you will have to work with the compiler from command line. You can use Lazarus to create your software, but you will need to compile it from command line. Some shell scripts can help you here.

Command line software won´t give you any trouble to create.

About GUI software, there are 2 possibilities for you:

1 - Call the widgetset yourself. This means giving up the form designer on Lazarus and using Qt/Embbeded or Gtk directly.

There are Qt/Embedded bindings for Free Pascal here: http://users.pandora.be/Jan.Van.hijfte/qtforfpc/qtedemo.html

If you are in a hurry this is the best option.

2 - Help us add support for developing linux-arm software from Lazarus IDE.

I, Yury and roozbeh recently added support to wince, and it isn´t that hard.

If you want to help us add support for arm-linux I would be glad help you.

Can I generate binaries from Windows Lazarus IDE? If not, can I do it at least from Linux Lazarus IDE?

I think it will be much easier if you stick to a platform close to your target.

If you plan to cross-compile to linux-arm, you should be using Linux. There is even a already made package of the compiler.

If you plan to cross-compile for windows ce-arm, you should use Windows.

If you want to cross-compile from Windows to linux-arm you will need to build the compiler yourself and look for Cross binutils to do this and they may not exist for the cross compile you are looking for.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018