Recent

Author Topic: [Solved] Two versions from one install  (Read 2620 times)

Windsurfer

• Windsurfer
[Solved] Two versions from one install
« on: September 16, 2013, 10:21:41 am »
I am running Linux Mint 15 in Virtualbox on Windows 8. I read quite a few items in the forum before starting, and downloaded 1.0.12 32 bit for Linux because the Mint packaged version is pre 1.0.

The three packages fpc, fpcsrc and laz were all placed in a folder /home/mike/programs and installed with the GDebi package installer.

I then had wall-to-wall permissions problems, which were largely fixed by following the advice at http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_directory_permissions_on_Linux_and_Unix.

This was not quite sufficient and I had to give the lazarus group permission to read and write to my projects folder ~/mike/programs/laz_projects. To do this graphically, I had to install gnome-system-tools.

As I met access problems, I extended permissions for the lazarus group to have read/write access to the required folder and files.

I can now change and save both project and general IDE options. However, after rebuilding the IDE and restarting lazarus, I get the question below:
================
Which Lazarus should be started?

The system default executable
/usr/share/lazarus/1.0.12/lazarus
(date: 15-9-13 23:03:27)

Or your custom executable
/home/mike/.lazarus/bin/lazarus
(date: 15-9-13 19:59:01)
=================

I have not noticed this in Windows. Should there be several executables in different places, if so, where should they reside? The Project and IDE options are the same for both,as below.

Project paths
include files: $(ProjOutDir)
unit output dir: lib/$(TargetCPU)-$(TargetOS)
target filename: WindSirf

IDE Options
Laz dir: /usr/share/lazarus/1.0.12/
compiler path: /usr/bin/fpc
FPC source dir: /usr/share/fpcsrc/$(FPCVER)/
Make path: make
Dir for building test projects: /usr/share/lazarus/1.0.12/projects/tmp/

When I try to compile using either I get the error message "fcllaz.pas(0,0) Fatal: Can not find unit system used by fcllaz."

Any advice would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 10:03:03 am by Windsurfer »

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
Re: Two versions from one install
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 11:06:35 am »
It is normal that there will be 2 executables, but I am not sure why it ask in your case.

The rebuild needs to replace the exe. But it (probably) had no write permission for /usr/share/lazarus/1.0.12/lazarus

So it does write it into your primary-config-dir ~/.lazarus

When you run startlazarus, it should detect this.

---
It may be, that if you re-installed  tha /usr/share/lazarus/1.0.12/lazarus has a newer timestamp.... Not sure...

Windsurfer

• Windsurfer
Re: Two versions from one install
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 12:46:09 am »
Thanks Martin_fr,

Changing permissions fixed it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018