Recent

Author Topic: [SOLVED]How do you install package(s)?  (Read 6939 times)

Awesome Programmer

• Programming is FUN only when it works :)
    • Cool Technology
[SOLVED]How do you install package(s)?
« on: May 15, 2013, 05:23:32 pm »
Seriously, I am just beating my head against a wall trying to figure this out. How do you install a third-party tool or component to Lazarus IDE? or What are the steps for installing package(s)? No matter how I try or how many time I stupidly repeat the process, I end up with the same result - not being able to install the package. Maybe it just me. I don't know. I come from Delphi Environment. So, I know little bit about how IDE supposed to work.

Very first time once the Lazarus IDE was installed I kept trying to install a package. IDE kept telling me that it successfully installed the package but when I go to check on the tab(s), it was not found. There were other component(s) that wouldn't even compile at all. So, I thought maybe because I don't have full permission under User Account. Then, I switched to Root user. Tried to do exactly the samething - install package(s). Although in the beginning IDE acted the same way, I somehow got the IDE to display the third-party tools on the tabs after I installed and rebuild Lazarus. Then, I thought I was home free. The excitement was short lived when I started to get GDB DEBUGGER ERROR from which I could never recover at all. So, I updated Linux system thinking it should fix my GDB problem with Lazarus. Unbeknown to me, the update also updated my Lazarus IDE. Well, the updated Lazarus did not display any of the thrid-party component on its tabs. I thought, I needed to reinstall the packages again. This is where I am for the last 2 days now. Trying to re-install these packages back into Lazarus but have been very very unsuccessful. Although IDE is telling me it successfully installed the package(s), I don't see them on the Tabs PERIOD under root or user account. I even logged into Root and tried the same thing. It is acting exactly the same way.

I am working with PCLinuxOS linux system, Lazarus 1.0.8 and fpc 2.6.2.

I know there are self-help tutorials and wiki links on this problem, but I need someone from here to give me clear steps that they took to install packages. Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 02:58:53 pm by reltek »

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Re: How do you install package(s)?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 06:08:57 pm »
Just exactly as the wiki explains:
for packages already known to the IDE
  • Package->Install/uninstall package
  • Save and rebuild IDE
for other packages:
  • Package->Open package file
  • Install
  • Confirm rebuild
Distribution shouldn't matter much, except when the filesystem is not standard (some distros, but I believe PCLinuxOS is not one of them).

How do you get Lazarus anyway?

Awesome Programmer

• Cool Technology
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 07:52:17 pm »

GOD
I get my Lazarus from  ;D. Just kidding  :D. I get it from repository. Mark it for installation and apply. Viola! It is install after few seconds. Then, I download the third party tools.

Does 64 bit or 32 bit OS effect Lazarus in any way shape or form?

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 08:17:29 pm »
Does 64 bit or 32 bit OS effect Lazarus in any way shape or form?

No, it works in both.
Installing a package compiles the whole IDE. The new version is placed in your home dir when you don't have enough rights for the original dir.
Start it with "startlazarus", it finds the right executable.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Awesome Programmer

• Cool Technology
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 10:19:26 pm »
Okay, I just re-installed PCLinuxOS and installed fresh copy of Lazarus. I try to install lcluniqueinstance.lpk package. It compiles and installs when you click on install. After that it says, "Make: Leaving Directory '/usr/lib64/lazarus." That's it. Nothing more nothing less and I still don't see the icon on the tab.

So, my question to you is this. How do you rebuild Lazarus after installing a package? Please, don't just say "confirm new build." Tell me how you get to that menu option or what not. As Leledumbo pointed for other packages, I don't get "Confirm Rebuild" option at all after clicking on pulldown menu Use---->Install.

I am using Lazarus 1.0.8, fpc 2.6.2 and PCLinuxOS distribution.

The picture attached is what I get to see after I click on installing it. So, Where in the world is "Confirm Rebuild" option?

Leledumbo

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 04:20:49 am »
How do you rebuild Lazarus after installing a package?
Automatically, when you install a package the whole IDE will be relinked with the newly compiled package(s). It then starts the new IDE.
Please, don't just say "confirm new build." Tell me how you get to that menu option or what not. As Leledumbo pointed for other packages, I don't get "Confirm Rebuild" option at all after clicking on pulldown menu Use---->Install
What I mean by this is a OK/Cancel or Yes/No dialog saying that "this package is marked for installation bla bla bla the IDE needs to be rebuilt bla bla bla" or something, right after you choose Use->Install.

Awesome Programmer

• Cool Technology
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 03:38:26 pm »
Hi Leledumbo,

Thank you. You have been very helpful.

I think it does start a new IDE after installing packages, because the whole IDE flickers and momentarily disappears and reappears. However, the tabs are not updated with the new component(s). In fact, it looks exactly as it does before.

As far as dialog box with yes/no or ok/cancel, I get the following messagebox. I click Yes button. Then, it says it is installed successfully on the messagebox. No matter what, the tool or component doesn't show up within its tab.

Is there away to force IDE to rebuild or relink?

« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 04:03:34 pm by reltek »

Leledumbo

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 06:43:09 pm »
OK, let's do this:
Look for lazarus executable in both your home (~/.lazarus) and installation folder (/usr/lib64/lazarus). If both exists, compare the size. The bigger one should contain the component.

Awesome Programmer

• Cool Technology
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 08:00:52 pm »
Hi  :)

Yes, I checked and there is only one lazarus executable (22.3MB) in my Linux (PCLinuxOS) system. That executable is in /usr/lib64/lazarus/ folder. I did look in ~./Lazarus folder in my home folder and there is no Lazarus executable in there.

So, what's next?  :)

Leledumbo

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 03:57:43 am »
OK, so that Lazarus should already contain your component. Let's check what's wrong. Open Package->Package graph and see in the treeview, what's your package's icon look like (take a screenshot)?

Awesome Programmer

• Cool Technology
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 05:12:33 pm »
Hi,

Yes, you are correct in that it contains the components. Since I already spent 3 days trying to resolve this problem and all the steps I have taken, I have come to a conclusion that Lazarus has a serious bug. I am not really sure what it is.

As a test, I downloaded and installed Lazarus 1.0.4 on my fedora Desktop from its repository at home. I thought I was going to have a similar problem as I did at work, but I didn't. It worked right out of the box. I was able to install and uninstall components just like you and Wiki instructed me to do. Plus, I even downloaded third-party components and installed them without a single problem.

IDE asked me to confirm and rebuild afterward. Then, I found the component(s) on the tabs.  :D :)

Installing and uninstalling components or tools on your IDE should be the least of your worry or problem.

At work this morning, I downgraded Lazarus from 1.0.8 to 1.0.6 on the same system (64bit PCLinuxOS). It has no problem so far. I am able to install and uninstall components and be able to rebuild the IDE. Plus, I didn't even have to worry about root access or user access. I did it all under user account.

So, my conclusion is that latest Lazarus IDE ( 1.0.8 ) has a major bug that they don't know about. If not, the Linux Distribution I am using is not compatible with Lazarus IDE or something.

Thank you for your help anyways.  8-)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 05:19:12 pm by reltek »

Leledumbo

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 06:21:17 pm »
So, my conclusion is that latest Lazarus IDE ( 1.0.8 ) has a major bug that they don't know about. If not, the Linux Distribution I am using is not compatible with Lazarus IDE or something.
Maybe, you could try building from source. If that works, then the package from repository is the devil. You could also find some volunteers to test on fedora to confirm the issue, where you can finally report to fedora maintainer.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018