Recent

Author Topic: install fpc under linux (need help )  (Read 7604 times)

airpas

install fpc under linux (need help )
« on: May 07, 2013, 10:14:23 am »
hi
i posted this question in FPC forum ..... no answer till now!
so my problem is : how to install fpc properly under linux ? (without sudo apt-get ....)

all i want to do is , just like windows (add fpc bin directory to the environement variable , and then call fpc from terminal)

here is my try :
first my linux distro is : lubuntu (i368)
1)  download FPC 2.6.2 as tar file
2) decompress it
3) run the install.sh from the termial (run ok)

the problem now when i type fpc in the terminal , it says (The program 'fpc' is currently not installed)

i added the path (bin) to the environement variable with the command (export) but  got the same result .

any idea befor i'll delete linux forever

Bart

• Bart en Mariska's Webstek
Re: install fpc under linux (need help )
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 10:54:46 am »
You did sudo install.sh?

It works perfectly under Suse 10.0 and Fedora 13 here.

Bart

airpas

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 11:24:42 am »
sudo: install.sh: command not found

are you sure : sudo install.sh  ?

airpas

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 11:30:16 am »
thanks Bart
i correct it  : sudo ./install.sh

wjackson153

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 06:09:11 pm »
I do not mean to detour you on your prefered flavor  of linux,  but i have found ubuntu, lbuntu variants
very frustraiting when attempting to install lazarus and fpc packages, for this reason, lazarous does not play well with unity, nor does it play well with lxde . This is my opion and so stated as such, take it for what you will.

But the following for anyone one wanting a flawless installation, should download and install LinuxMint 14, using KDE enviroment.  and install .debs from : http://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Linux%20i386%20DEB/Lazarus%201.0.8/

It just works, no having to recompile from source, or changing Envirment Variables, or adding sniplets of code to .rc config files, or hunting down refference for required packages.

And using kde,  you can simply tell it to use one icon on task bar, rather then having 7 different windows
Perfect enviroment in my opinion.

As I said before it took many hours for me to get a working Lazarous enviroment on a ubuntu distro, and the only reason I even did so was for a friend, that was stern on ubuntu, he is just one of them types of people that will not adapt to change. Oh yes he was a Ubuntu fan,  And I too once was a Ubuntu fanboy, though Im an avid linux user, I like to try new things, and I must say Mint 14 has been my prefered choice for simplicity for the past year.  For example using the same drivers on Ubuntu 12.04 same wine version, etc I installed and attempted to play a online game I have invested many years into, Eve Online  , takes hours to configure on Ubuntu.    Mint has always worked flawlessly.  I dread when my friend tells me an update has rendered his game useless on his ubuntu machine.   When updates still continue to work fine on my Mint machine :)

For a Plain Jane Desktop, for a New to linux user, Ubuntu is great, but if they want to play games, or have to change the system in anyway to get something to work,  it will be a tedious task I assure you.

This is my 2 cents :-)

Lazarus 1.1 r39490 CT FPC 2.7.1 i386-linux KDE
Linux Mint 14 KDE 4

aguiar

• Ubuntu 14.04
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 09:49:43 pm »
I use Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity and had no problem to install Lazarus or fpc.
I hate all versions of Mint. Linux is like that, everyone is free to choose any of the distribution.

MalabarFlash

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 01:50:54 am »
I noticed you wanted to install FPC.  I am assuming you want to develop applications and not just compile them.  If that's the case use Lazarus.  It is superior the the Free Pascal IDE.  I am new to Ubuntu, so I needed explicit direction.  Here is the best I found and successfully used.

http://lazplanet.blogspot.com/2013/05/how-to-install-lazarus-108-on-ubuntu.html

I use  Lazarus 1.08 in windows.  In Ubuntu I modified the directions to install Lazarus 1.10.  It worked great.  I just have one caveat.  In step 3 you may as well run the terminal command sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev before the other command.  I got the error and had to run the first command twice.

Free Pascal/Lazarus works a little differently in Ubuntu and Windows.  See my post http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,21207.msg123813.html#msg123813

Rails

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 03:29:29 am »

But the following for anyone one wanting a flawless installation, should download and install LinuxMint 14, using KDE enviroment.  and install .debs from : http://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Linux%20i386%20DEB/Lazarus%201.0.8/

I am no fan of Ubuntu, but stating that a user needs to install Lazarus using the KDE environment is just as bad or worse. I know of no valid reason that any particular desktop environment should be preferred, let alone required, in order to install Lazarus.  I use Debian/XFCE4 and it works fine. I would expect the same with MostAnyDisto/Gnome.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 03:31:23 am by Rails »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018