Forum > Suggestions

Do you agree that Lazarus needs modern graphics?

<< < (2/24) > >>

typo:
@nsunny
Do not bother with opinions contrary to what you are saying. Your ideas are good, although a bit arrogant. You think like a designer. People here are very proud of the technical quality of Lazarus and are conservative about it. Be constructive, make a concrete proposal and let people choose.

BigChimp:
I do agree with what typo says: if you let yourself be distracted by everybody's opinion, you'll never get things done.

Best to take everybody's input, but create a total design/prototype that can then be evaluated as a whole by the people that make the decisions.

That said, I'm almost sure you already know what I said and just wanted to get more input. That's fine ;)

JJVillamor:
I do find your question a bit general and difficult to answer. What  graphics or changes? you mentioned "website, setup image, splash screen or in any other form" so are you referring to cosmetic changes to make the site and Lazarus more attractive and not the GUI?

I do feel that Lazarus looks a bit "old" but whether cosmetic changes to the site or Lazarus screens/forms will help and by how much will certainly depend on what the changes are. A good change will certain attract more attention but serious users will look much deeper.

As suggested, maybe some concrete suggestions will help give direction to the thread.

jwdietrich:

--- Quote from: BigChimp on April 12, 2013, 11:12:48 am ---@jwdietrich:
In the absence of professional designers, we have to make do with what we have, I think.

--- End quote ---

@BigChimp:
You are absolutely right. I only wanted to say that it is a difficult task to implement a design that makes both an impression to be up-to-date and to be tasteful, modest, elegant and expressing some continuity. Currently we will not be able to engage a professional designer.

--- Quote from: JJVillamor on April 12, 2013, 01:42:08 pm ---I do find your question a bit general and difficult to answer. What  graphics or changes? you mentioned "website, setup image, splash screen or in any other form" so are you referring to cosmetic changes to make the site and Lazarus more attractive and not the GUI?

I do feel that Lazarus looks a bit "old" but whether cosmetic changes to the site or Lazarus screens/forms will help and by how much will certainly depend on what the changes are. A good change will certain attract more attention but serious users will look much deeper.

As suggested, maybe some concrete suggestions will help give direction to the thread.

--- End quote ---

@JJVillamor:
I agree with your statements. In some points a slight modernization may be beneficial, in others it wouldn't.

JuhaManninen:

--- Quote from: BigChimp on April 12, 2013, 01:13:48 pm ---I do agree with what typo says: if you let yourself be distracted by everybody's opinion, you'll never get things done.

--- End quote ---

Uhhh!
Up to a point that is true. Now however nsunny should care about opinions of other people.
He clearly thinks he has created a masterpiece with his page design. All his ideas are better than anybody else's. All his graphics are better than graphics created during the 12 years of Lazarus development.

I personally enjoy the Lazarus splash screen, even after looking at it many many times.
The new big cat face staring at me would get me pissed off after few weeks.
A sign of a good design is that it does not jump on your face.
The same happens with music or movies. There are some "good" pieces that you want to hear/see max. 2 times, but for the real good ones there is no upper limit. They always feel good.

Now the fact is that nsunny's page design is visually rather poor. Partly it is butt-ugly.
Almost all the boxes have a different color and they appear to be picked randomly from a color palette.
I don't see any "design" in this color scheme.
The page is cluttered with partially redundant bullet points. For example "Cross platform" is listed twice on the main page and then again in Features page.
IDE screenshots on a main page are a worn-out idea, used already millions of times. We could do better.
Besides the screenshots are so small that they give no information for anyone.
[Edit:] I meant screenshots in the top header bar. Elsewhere on the main page there could be some, although a dedicated page is better.

Many programmers are poor in visual design. nsunny is clearly no exception there.

There is a saying in my country: "A moped escaped from his hands." meaning that he lost control of the situation.
This is now happening to nsunny.
He is so much in love with his own desing that it blurs his view of reality.

nsunny, I still want to co-operate with you but let's take a short break now.

Juha

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version