Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus web site done with Lazarus ?  (Read 13661 times)

nsunny

• Code is magic
    • LazPlanet
Re: Lazarus web site done with Lazarus ?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 09:34:12 pm »
i suggest to translate the Lazarus Web site from Simple Machines into something totally FPC-Lazarus.

That would be cool. But will fail miserably if not given enough effort and manpower. Forum softwares like phpBB, vBulletin has not been developed over night. And bugfixing them is a continuous process.

And converting the existing data is also very important. But I guess it can be done.
Lazarus TTS Tutorial | LazPlanet
Lazarus 2.2.0 | FPC 3.2.2 | Linux/OpenBSD/ReactOS

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 10:56:08 pm »
If you ask me, writing forum software in FPC just because we're a programming language site is ridiculous not such a good idea.

Never say never. Chewing own dog food is important. But a Pascal forum software should have been proven, and not pre-drawing
table as is now. IMHO first have choices, then make a choice. Not the other way around.

I could try to counter some of the reasons, since none are black-white IMHO, but there is currently nothing real to compare, which makes a
balanced choice useless. So I think Brook should evolve under its own steam, and decide if they want to make a forum, and if something is
ready, tested etc, we might in some time in the future make a different choice.

But brook is afaik less than an year old, there is no forum, so all this is years premature.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 11:42:01 pm »
Well written marcov.
What more, the biggest proponents for the FPC based forum are people who have no intention to work for it themselves. It always pisses me off, I cannot help it.
The right attitude from them would be to start a project for a forum based on Brook, then improve it based on feedback and finally offer it to be used for Lazarus.
I believe Brook itself would improve in the process.

It only needs a server / virtual machine somewhere in internet where poeple can connect to and test it.

Juha
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Silvio Clécio

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 11:43:31 pm »
But brook is afaik less than an year old, there is no forum, so all this is years premature.

But is already being planned ;) :

https://github.com/silvioprog/brookframework/issues/29

I'm already using Brook in production here in Brazil, in three commercial projects. I and four partners are creating a big on-line ERP too. I'll show pictures of all projects here soon. We already have a desktop ERP, however our customers are asking us about a on-line version, with some charts, screens to make sales, reports and all accessible via Android/iOS too.

So, a brazillian company discovered me, they pay me to make tools to them, and work in Brook too. Soon the Brook's site will have a sponsors page.

Soon as possible, I'll devote all my time to create the Brook's forum and relive my personal website too.

You are missing an opportunity to show that Free Pascal is also able to build professional websites. ;D
Well, if I had not the Brook and Free Pascal, I would definitely use Slim framework (PHP) or Rails (Ruby), but Brook and Free Pascal are serving me very well, so no need to appeal to outsource my programming language/back-ends, I'm a "pascalman".

I believe in Free Pascal, he is also able to create professional websites! :)

Taste Brook here: https://github.com/silvioprog/brookframework/archive/master.zip

ps1: Soon Brook will provide support for communication with Amazon and DropBox. This is necessary because our customers will have more options to do their online backups.

ps2: sorry for my english please.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 11:48:39 pm »

But is already being planned ;) :

I assume Lazarus 1.0 was planned somewhere 1999ish.  It was released in 2012 :-)

Silvio Clécio

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 12:06:00 am »
Yes, I totally agree you, but Lazarus is a big tool/IDE, much larger than a web framework hehe... :D

And I'm not working alone in Brook, and this is very important too. I'm counting on the help of long-time friends, and friends that met recently. See a small list: https://github.com/silvioprog/brookframework/blob/master/CONTRIBUTORS.txt. Brook would not be possible without this guys. Brook now has embedded server. New brokers and classes etc etc etc., and it was implemented by friends.

So, Brook is just a peel to enjoy the very best of FCLWeb, and FCLWeb is already very mature. :)

BigChimp

• Add to the wiki - it's free ;)
    • FPCUp, PaperTiger scanning and other open source projects
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 03:50:25 am »
@Silvio: yep, I believe you when you say you will extend Brook together with others.

I also believe you'll be faster than Lazarus planning.

Let's see what happens ;)
Want quicker answers to your questions? Read http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#What_is_the_correct_way_to_ask_questions_in_the_forum.3F

Open source including papertiger OCR/PDF scanning:
https://bitbucket.org/reiniero

Lazarus trunk+FPC trunk x86, Windows x64 unless otherwise specified

TinyPortal © 2005-2018