Recent

Author Topic: gpStructureStorage Port  (Read 24078 times)

BigChimp

• Add to the wiki - it's free ;)
    • FPCUp, PaperTiger scanning and other open source projects
Re: gpStructureStorage Port
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2013, 02:49:57 pm »
Have installed PC-BSD and am fiddling with fpcup. Will report in fpcup thread if I get it working...
Want quicker answers to your questions? Read http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#What_is_the_correct_way_to_ask_questions_in_the_forum.3F

Open source including papertiger OCR/PDF scanning:
https://bitbucket.org/reiniero

Lazarus trunk+FPC trunk x86, Windows x64 unless otherwise specified

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2013, 05:46:37 pm »
freebsd is a pain to in my behind. pkg_add does not work, it cant find anything online and I do not know how to add more repositories to it even if I did I don't any repositories to add :'(.

What other repositories? There is only the base ports tree.

Afaik in older versions you had to set some package root (like http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/freebsd-changing-pkg_add-package-ftp-site-location.html ), something is preferable anyway if you have high
speed access (>1mbyte/s)

But in current versions it worked for me out of the box. Just a bit of pkg_add joe etc. Some packages have different names, but that is also the case between linux distros.

In case of doubt, looking in the All/ directory on ftp can help finding the right package name.

taazz

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2013, 06:11:48 pm »
Well for me so far was hell on keyboard.

1st installation for some reason failed no buts or whys I had to delete the vm and start over.
then after the installation completed successfully this time I was introduced to the concept of ports that took some time to find the packages I want to install so I started big with kde4 doing pkg_add -r kde4/mc/joe etc will always fail with package not found on ftp://ftp.freebsd/....... so the next logical step was to make install the kde4 that started a multihour compile and install of various dependencies that required my attention all the time as each package will open a config screen now and then for me to choose options and when it hit qzeitgeist package all hell broke loose, 1st the installation stopped with one error spend more time searching for that elusive package that needed to uncheck gnutls options in order for it to compile correctly and then when qzeitgeist was cleaning up the installation a kernel panic was raised where an malloc call failed to return the size that was asked for, after that I got to play with fsck and manually linking a few dosen of lost disk links and then I had to re start it with the -y param for the rest what fun I had watching a 20GB disk got relinked for the next half an hour.

The good thing is that now kde4 installation finds the already installed packages and moves fast to the uninstalled ones. Although I would love to continue in a second console installing fpc 2.6.2 and testing fpcup that bigchimp just created for the BSD I am very worry that a second kernel panic (also known as out of memory) might hit me again so I'm just watching the kde4 compiling at the moment, fingers crossed, no more problems will be encountered.

Setting up a desktop on freebsd 9.1 is no piece of cake all night yesterday with nothing to show and of course after the correct installation of kde there is the minor issue of setting up the system to start on a kde login that will be more fun hunting down elusive .conf files to add an option or two which I'll forget in a weeks time again.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2013, 06:33:03 pm »
Well for me so far was hell on keyboard.

1st installation for some reason failed no buts or whys I had to delete the vm and start over.
then after the installation completed successfully this time I was introduced to the concept of ports that took some time to find the packages I want to install so I started big with kde4 doing pkg_add -r kde4/mc/joe etc will always fail with package not found on ftp://ftp.freebsd/....... so the next logical step was to make install the kde4 that started a multihour compile and install of various dependencies that required my attention all the time as each package will open a config screen now and then for me to choose options and when it hit qzeitgeist package all hell broke loose,

Strange, I do not recognize at all. Since the Linux distros went GUI and KMS, I generally had less trouble with FreeBSD then with Linux (since on Linux there are the occasional video card related problems during setup, specially in the last two years with the @$&@%$) gnome fallback stuff).

The last time I manually compiled anything, was when I got my Athlon64, which in itself says enough.

I don't usually fully dress up the desktop though, I usually just install windowmaker and let the basic install install X. Mostly that is because I don't care anyway. Though I have had gnome2 installs too. And I don't use VMs (actually I do, but I don't even have X configured in them, they are for FreeBSD release building only)

An option could be to use PCBSD, which is a freebsd spin which has a more newbie desktop-out-of-the-box concept.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 06:36:43 pm by marcov »

BigChimp

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2013, 06:38:46 pm »
so the next logical step was to make install the kde4 that started a multihour compile and install of various dependencies that required my attention all the time as each package will open a config screen now and then for me to choose options

Apparently make -DBATCH install clean is the magic incantation. That'll skip all questions and use defaults. No idea how that would deal with your zeitgeist woes though.

Myself, I downloaded PC-BSD and had working X (probably KDE) out of the box. Even getting Laz+FPC was easy by going through their software tool (did end up with an ancient 0.9.30 Laz). After installing mercurial (the same way), I got fpcup going...
Want quicker answers to your questions? Read http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#What_is_the_correct_way_to_ask_questions_in_the_forum.3F

taazz

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2013, 06:53:59 pm »
for opensuse 12 installed relatively painless compared with freeBSD, although I do have a very old very compliant laptop (no 3D accelerator just an intel card) so I didn't expect any problems to begin with.
And Although it is not perfect (the desktop login screen is not I was expected) it was useable from the start and with the cnf and yast I was able to find my way around problems extremely fast.

I wouldn't bother to install a desktop as well but since this is going to be my only bsd based installation I though why not create an environment for testing my various components on it too (famous last words?).

in any case I haven't looked at your links yet but I'm going to need them after the kde4 finished installing I guess. thank you for posting them.

Apparently make -DBATCH install clean is the magic incantation. That'll skip all questions and use defaults. No idea how that would deal with your zeitgeist woes though.

Myself, I downloaded PC-BSD and had working X (probably KDE) out of the box. Even getting Laz+FPC was easy by going through their software tool (did end up with an ancient 0.9.30 Laz). After installing mercurial (the same way), I got fpcup going...

Lol I like that I'm going to start a new brunch (in the codelibrarian ) named linux incantations, there will be placed all such helpful diamonds of wisdom.

Let me add that I do not dare to stop the current installation process at the moment but will be using that gem a lot after that.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 06:57:04 pm by taazz »
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

BigChimp

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2013, 06:57:45 pm »

Lol I like that I'm going to start a new brunch (in the codelibrarian ) named linux incantations, there will be placed all such helpful diamonds of wisdom.

;)

TBH, I didn't coin that phrase or come up with that snippet :)

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2013, 10:41:12 am »
freebsd is a pain to in my behind. pkg_add does not work, it cant find anything online and I do not know how to add more repositories to it even if I did I don't any repositories to add :'(.
There was a security issue with the repositories or something, just before they released 9.1 - so to be on the safe side, they decided to disable binary packages for that release. The ports collection works very well, and is dead easy to us. 'make install clean' is pretty much all you need to know. What is nice about ports, is that you can configure the apps (make config) before you build them, so you can have as little or as much functionality as you want.

I absolutely love FreeBSD! Also  if you don't know how to do something, your first port of call should be the FreeBSD Handbook - it covers 99% of what most people need. Then try the FreeBSD Forums, if you still have question. The Handbook is up to date, very detailed with lots of example commands etc. Just brilliant.
--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2013, 10:48:49 am »
want to install so I started big with kde4 doing pkg_add -r kde4/mc/joe etc will always fail with package not found on ftp://ftp.freebsd/.......
See my earlier reply.

so the next logical step was to make install the kde4 that started a multihour compile and install of various dependencies that required my attention all the time as each package will open a config screen now and then
Somebody didn't read the Handbook. :-)   make config-recursive will allow you to configure all dependencies. Then make install clean will compile everything without interruptions.

Setting up a desktop on freebsd 9.1 is no piece of cake
The FreeBSD Hanbook (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html) has a chapter on setting up X11. I followed it to the letter, an was up and running in minutes.
--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2013, 11:43:21 am »
Put any arguments that you always want to use in /etc/make.conf btw.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018