Recent

Author Topic: Step into right direction  (Read 4746 times)

Rave

Step into right direction
« on: March 06, 2013, 08:25:38 am »
From wiki:
I created a Patch to dock the IDE Messages form on the "Source Code Editor" form (at bottom)
Such patches will not be applied, because they only implement a small part of the needed docking. The goal is to create a complete dock manager and use that. A complete dock manager can dock all IDE windows and it allows to let the user define how to dock. For example dock the messages window above or below the source editor — or not at all. For instance,
Code: [Select]
+-------------------++--+
|menu               ||  |
+-------------------+|  |
+--++---------------+|  |
|PI|| Source Editor ||CE|
+--+|               ||  |
+--+|               ||  |
|  |+---------------++--+
|OI|+-------------------+
|  ||messages           |
+--++-------------------+
The dock manager can store the layout and restore it on next load. Preferably the dock manager can dock in pages too. The dock manager does not need to use drag and drop. All patches implementing docking without a dock manager makes it harder to implement a real dock manager and will be rejected.
An example for such a dock manager is the package anchordockdsgn,

I cannot agree with that. While such patch may not create all necessary functionality, it is certainly step into right direction. This way we could implement docking one by one, then when it can dock at any configuration implement loading and saving.

If it works, it can even work by magic. All it need to be doing, is to work - Anonymous wise man.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
Re: Step into right direction
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 09:42:12 am »
I cannot agree with that. While such patch may not create all necessary functionality, it is certainly step into right direction.

Uhhh...
How is it a right direction if you make a dirty hack to dock one IDE window?
It only makes it harder to implement proper docking later, just like the wise wiki says.

Juha
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

theo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 12:04:07 pm »

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 01:01:55 pm »
Maybe we should update the FAQ.

There are 2 docking solutions already in the default distribution:
Anchordocking and Easydockmanager. They both still are beta, with some bugs and some features missing.

There is another dockmanager in CodeTyphon(So I am told). I do not know, if it is any more complete.

And there is KZDesktop (Which falls under the category listed in the FAQ). But it is published, and anyone can use/improve it.

------------------------
However: all of them are NOT enabled by the default installer (even so the first 2 are installed). And that will not change, until they are stable enough.

But as for your point: There is enough raw material for any one to work on.

Rave

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 06:59:34 pm »
Juha, who cares if it's dirty hack, if it works?

//edit: Also at first it'd be just one window, then more dockable windows would be added. Step by step, until we can dock them in any configuration. Then all we need is to be able to save/load layout.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 07:02:13 pm by Rave »

BigChimp

• Add to the wiki - it's free ;)
    • FPCUp, PaperTiger scanning and other open source projects
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 08:43:27 pm »
Well, IMO nothing wrong with dirty hacks if you only use them yourself and don't distribute it (e.g. back to the Lazarus project).

Another story if others use it in further development (and expect it to be stable). Result: bug reports, maintenance nightmares and a dirty hack that's embedded in your code.

Just my 2 cents.
Want quicker answers to your questions? Read http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#What_is_the_correct_way_to_ask_questions_in_the_forum.3F

Open source including papertiger OCR/PDF scanning:
https://bitbucket.org/reiniero

Lazarus trunk+FPC trunk x86, Windows x64 unless otherwise specified

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 11:12:30 pm »
Since it's a hack, adding support for all forms in general would be a problem. Even if it's at all possible, the refactoring effort would be too great. The API will likely to change a lot over time. And that's a maintenance nightmare...

TinyPortal © 2005-2018