Recent

Author Topic: Database not C/S and not SQLite for Mac  (Read 3626 times)

justapps

Database not C/S and not SQLite for Mac
« on: April 22, 2013, 04:55:10 pm »
Is there a database that I could use that doesn't require libraries and possible permission changes?  I need something like DBISAM that allows file sharing and doesn't need to run as a server.  I need it for OSX.  I want to share the database with multiple users on a network.  The users may have Windows and OSX clients connecting to the database.

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
Re: Database not C/S and not SQLite for Mac
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 05:11:48 pm »
Is there a database that I could use that doesn't require libraries and possible permission changes?
If it is a small app, you might get away with TDBF (in fcl-db). Otherwise contact NexusDB and ask if they support FPC yet - last I heard there were considering it. You can also try TurboPower FlashFiler - a very early version of what is now NexusDB.

Alternatively, I suggest you try some embedded RDBMS. I know you said no libraries, but Embedded Firebird is very simple to deploy, and is an excellent database server. Nice thing is you can scale it up to a full C/S system later, without any database change.
--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

justapps

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 08:07:52 pm »
Do you know if FlashFiler works with OSX? 

Thanks!
Brent

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 09:38:14 pm »
Since you require crossplatform locking on a share, I would be very, very careful.  At least if you value your data.

Essentially you have at least two (Windows, OS X) and potentially three (server, e.g. if it is a NAS) sets of platform dependencies.

I would seriously urge you to go in the direction of a RDBMS.   E.g. by running postgresql on a Raspberry PI which mounts your filer via NFS.

taazz

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 09:46:21 pm »
flashfiler is an rdbms set of components that supports a client server architecture if it can be converted to fpc then it should be able to be compiled on all platforms that fpc supports.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 12:46:56 am »
Do you know if FlashFiler works with OSX? 
I have no idea. All I believe I saw, was that FlashFiler was ported to FPC, but that obviously doesn't mean it works on all platforms.
--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

TinyPortal © 2005-2018