Recent

Author Topic: Borland to sell Delphi  (Read 14668 times)

RudieD

Borland to sell Delphi
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 05:25:06 pm »
And what about the word "googling" ? It had no meaning back then but look at it now. If I say I've been "googling" most people know what I mean (Searching the internet).
I think the product make the name and not the other way arround (IMHO).
The FRED Trainer. (Training FRED with Lazarus/FPC)

mikiwoz

Borland to sell Delphi
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2006, 08:39:56 pm »
precisely. the PRODUCT makes the NAME, not the other way around. so whether you name Lazarus "Lazarus" or "Bingwoink", if it gets widespread you'll get "Lazarusing" or "Bingwoinking", respectively. Ergo, the name does not matter at this stage. :)

Cheers
Mike

marmin

• http://www.naton.org
Borland to sell Delphi
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2006, 09:06:00 pm »

1. The name doesn't really matter much, does it? (look at "Delphi" for an example. WTF has the Greek oracle to ObjectPascal programming, anyway?);

ok-but Delphi is a Greek historic site, kind of 'powerful'-and Lazarus is: the biblical figure who was dead, etc. kind of 'weak' imho..or is it the Cheetah that 's called Lazarus. :D

2. The name, actually, isn't just "Lazarus" - it's "Lazarus/FreePascal" if you want it to be a match for Delphi. Now that's quite an informative name, IMHO;

i think most know it only as Lazarus (it is called the Lazarus Project)

3. The current name is actually more widespread than it seems - let us not make the Borland/Inprise/Borland mistake and cause confusion to users;

indeed- but it is not as big as Delphi yet and there's still time to change, especially when Delphi goes defunct and people will seek another alternative

4. The change would be simply pointless - why bother, anyway?

i think people like to work with a program that has a nice name. this current name was invented because it was 'raised' from the dead-not actually a good reason for a huge ide.. imo..

5. The name "PowerPascal" is definetely a bad one - Lazarus *is not* a Pascal compiler nor a Pascal language implementation/specification. Lazarus is "just" and IDE, component library and widget bindings. "PowerPascal" would, again, cause confusion, and we would rather evade it, now wouldn't we?

it was just an example. people could send in their favorite name, and name could be changed.
i'm not trying to 'attack' the name of course but a debate is always healty i hope.
Marmin^.Style

mikiwoz

Borland to sell Delphi
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2006, 11:28:03 pm »
definetely is. hope nobody took my post personal, that was not my aim anyway. :)
i think most know it only as Lazarus (it is called the Lazarus Project)

look at this page's logo - FreePascal Lazarus Project. Look at the address - lazarus.freepascal.org. Wherever you look Laz comes with FPC - and it's the right way, IMHO, as, as said before, Lazarus is the IDE, not the compiler.
i think people like to work with a program that has a nice name. this current name was invented because it was 'raised' from the dead-not actually a good reason for a huge ide..

well... "Apple" is a rather strange name for a software company, as this is the Biblical fruit that caused Eva and Adam to loose paradise, isn't it? :) On the other hand, I would feel rather uneasy having to work with a program called "The Trinity" or "Jesus", although those are thought by some to be God's names - "kind of powerful", aren't they? (at least for some people, that is ;) )

That's not the point. Every name has its pros and cons, but if we have a name already - and a community of people using the app - let's leave it as it is, and evade the confusion. It would simply do more harm than good - a whole bunch of misinformed people because of a cosmetical, as a matter of fact, change.

Cheers
Mike

RudieD

Borland to sell Delphi
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2006, 04:51:25 pm »
I also know of a few "visitors" that visits 1 or 2 times a year to check in on the progress. They also know the product as Lazarus/FreePascal. Even the VB programmers (across the room from me) know the Lazarus/FPC name. (I like to rub their noses ....   STOP THAT !).
The FRED Trainer. (Training FRED with Lazarus/FPC)

Anonymous

Borland to sell Delphi
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2006, 03:11:01 pm »
Let's focus on promoting Lazarus/FreePascal at this time of uncertainty - This is a good opportunity to re-assure all developers and gain some more that maybe does not know about Lazarus. Can somebody do some regular posts to slashdot / freshmeat / press releases to Delphi Magazines etc. - That could be a good start.

Anonymous

Borland to sell Delphi
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2006, 05:29:32 am »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018