Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus+Ubuntu 12.04LTS  (Read 11009 times)

Curt Carpenter

Lazarus+Ubuntu 12.04LTS
« on: December 03, 2012, 05:22:09 am »
Hello.
I have just installed Lazarus on Ubuntu 12.04, and have been able to write, debug and execute formless FPC programs starting from New>Program (eg., "Hello. world" using writeln).

If I use New>Application though, with a single blank form, and attempt to Build it, I get the following message:

/usr/lib/lazarus/0.9.30.2/masks.pas (29,22) Fatal:  Can't find contnrs used by Masks.

I am brand new to Ubuntu, and all of my Lazarus experience is with the Windows version, so I'm having a hard time figuring out what I need to do to fix this issue.
Any helpful insights would be much appreciated.   I suspect that I need to define a path somewhere, but don't know where to look. 

mmab

Re: Lazarus+Ubuntu 12.04LTS
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 05:29:22 am »
check your permissions. make sure that you have 755 at least for lazarus sources.

FelipeFS

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 05:29:37 am »
Is your FPC installed? Contnrs is a unit that comes from FPC, check if your FPC is installed. It is probably in the folder

/usr/share/fpcsrc/[The version of FPC]/

EDIT:
if the FPC is installed, check in Tool>Options is the IDE is pointing to the FPC folder.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 05:37:16 am by FelipeFS »

Curt Carpenter

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 07:25:45 pm »
Thanks to all for the hints and suggestions.

After checking for FPC and following up on the other ideas,  I decided to uninstall Lazarus completely and start over from scratch using the Synaptic Package Manager.  I also deleted all traces of Lazarus in my home folder.

In the process of doing this, I discovered that I had two different installations of FPC on Ubuntu.  No idea how that happened -- probably a side effect of not knowing what I was doing %)

Anyway, after deleting everything I could find and then re-installing Lazarus with Synaptic, everything seems to now be working perfectly :D

Thanks again to all for taking the time to offer your suggestions.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 07:43:54 pm »

/usr/lib/lazarus/0.9.30.2/masks.pas (29,22) Fatal:  Can't find contnrs used by Masks.

See the buildfaq:

http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/buildfaq/#toc-Subsection-2.6.2

wjackson153

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 05:33:12 pm »
Yeah first thing i would sugguest is upgrade  FPC to 2.6 , and upgrade Lazarus
to Ver 1.0.4, and make sure your user is added to the sudoers file
/etc/sudoers

2.6 FPC has alot of additional Functions added
Lazarus 1.0.4 has alot of bugs from previous releases fixed.

For me this has been best option on debian distro, Ubuntu
derivatives, Mint etc

Lazarus 1.1 r39490 CT FPC 2.7.1 i386-linux KDE
Linux Mint 14 KDE 4

Curt Carpenter

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 06:02:28 pm »
I had fpc2.4.4 (with terminal ide) and lazarus 0.9.30.2 both working, and had converted all of my windows components and programs over to run on my linux box.   Then I decided to install fpc2.6.0 and lo -- my lazarus quit working and I was back where I was at the start of this thread :'(

Following wjacksons153's advice, I decided to start completely from scratch -- remove all traces of both fpc2.4.4, fpc2.6.0 and lazarus0.9.30.2 that I could find and re-install fpc2.6.0 and the latest release of lazarus.

I have fpc2.6.0 up and running well with the terminal IDE , and now I'm about to download the new version of lazarus for linux,  The install instructions, though, tell me to REMOVE fpc before I attempt the lazarus install. 

Can anyone tell me if I really, really DO have to remove fpc2.6.0 before I can install lazarus_1.0.4.0_i386.deb?   

Thanks in advance.  If I get everything working again I swear I will never change anything again :)

mdlueck

• Lueck Data Systems
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 06:45:48 pm »
I just had success installing on Xubuntu 12.04 from the Debian packages at SourceForge. What was installed was Laz 1.0.4 and the required prerequisites of FreePascal.

I first did my usual of adding the Laz Ubuntu repository, and found old (0.9x) Laz releases there. So I removed that repository and ended up installing from the packages as SourceForge.

In the various folders of each Laz release, there are packages for Laz and the required FPC prerequisites.

I ended up installing via the command line as via the GUI would not tell what prerequisites were needed to satisfy the three Laz related packages I was installing. Via the command line, dpkg clearly said what package I needed to add. I did so via the Synaptic GUI, and adding that one required dependency pulled along other packages that Ubuntu package needed. Then I returned and ran dpkg again to get Laz installed.

It appears to be working great for the moment.  8-)
--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems
http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/

wjackson153

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 09:40:04 pm »
No you dont remove FPC 2.6 once its installed infact install in this order :

Install FPC 2.6
Install FPC 2.6 Src
Finally Install Lazarus 1.0.4

but make sure before you do you have cleaned up and removed all
other lazarus versions and FPC 2.4 etc

Lazarus has to have FPC binary installed, since Lazarus is just a Frontend GUI
for FPC.  Lazarus without FPC is just a Useless GUI .

So im thinking perhaps the install instructions your reading are misleading your
install order.

If you dont have synaptic installed open a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install synaptic

once installed type
gksudo synaptic

once synaptic is done rebuilding search index do update, make sure there
is no broken dependency. and finally search for fpc 2.4 and dependency and remove them,
same for lazarus older versions , make sure no lazarus or fpc is installed at this point, make
through search. Once your satisfied, so we will need to drop to terminal again. And remove
all directory's pertaining to Lazarus, and FPC  once this is done we will Install FPC 2.6 then
the Src Package for FPC 2.6 and Finally install Lazarus 1.0.4.

So open terminal and type
gksudo nautilus

This will open a new window in nautilus explorer as a root user, so we can remove all existing directories
for old version of FPC and Lazarus. We do this before installing Upgrades.

Now we will need to search for in root and top side directory by opening Accessories / Search for files, make sure / is selected for search path.  type in fpc the the path to all links binary etc for fpc then use the root nautilus explorer to remove them,  wash rinse and repeat for Lazarus , once done perform the new install
when it tells you and older version is in respo ignore and continue install .

All should be well after this process :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 09:46:23 pm by wjackson153 »
Linux Mint 14 KDE 4

Curt Carpenter

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 04:55:51 am »
Thank you for the detailed instructions wjackson153.

It took me all day, but I've finally got back to a working fpc2.4.4 + Lazarus9.30.  At one point, neither the Ubuntu Software Center -OR- synaptic would install fpc2.4.4 for me -- nor would they let me completely remove fpc and Lazarus from my file tree.  I finally beat this by manually combing all of the directories for remnants and rm-ing them by hand.  Then I was able to install fpc2.4.4 -- but only by downloading it from source forge and running the install.sh script provided.

I'm sure that these difficulties were due to my lack of knowledge about Linux.  But now, I'm scared to death of trying to upgrade anything, and will leave things alone for a while.  I've copied your instructions though, and once my courage has returned, I'll try once again to advance to fpc2.6 and Lazarus 1.0.

Thanks again for your time and help -- I'd be lost without the forum :)

Regards,
Curt Carpenter

wjackson153

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 05:06:54 am »
Have you ever played with vitualbox it allows you to run multiple os from within linux eviroment

this way you don't mess up what you already have configured. Basically its a fool proof way
of testing new Operating Systems without formating your existing Operating system.

Then you can try the Distro I have linked you and use your own judgement :)

By the way  fpc 2.6 and lazarus 1.04 was my recomendation  not 1.0 :)

good luck too you
Linux Mint 14 KDE 4

SirWigWam

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 08:30:08 am »
Hi all,

Just like to say i'm running Xubuntu 12.04, i did not use the software center or the synaptic manager to get the files and i have had and easy install and no problems at all so far.

Installed
FPC 2.6
FPC 2.6 Src
Lazarus 1.0.4

In that order from the files found here > http://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/
I have a intel 32bit PC so i actually got > http://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Linux%20i386%20DEB/Lazarus%201.0.4/

I downloaded each one, right clicked the file and selected "Open with "Ubuntu Software Center""

It done the rest !!

Good Luck

TinyPortal © 2005-2018