Recent

Author Topic: [SOLVED]Lazarus1.0 and MySQL  (Read 4872 times)

guest48180

[SOLVED]Lazarus1.0 and MySQL
« on: November 10, 2012, 02:07:45 am »
I have Mint 13 Cinnamon installed. I downloaded mysql5.1 and tried to install it (debian file) and it gives me an error
dependency. The thing is, I've never installed MySQL on this OS before. I do see where it has some MySQL files...so how
do I get rid of them to install the MySQL 5.1? Lazarus only goes up to MySQL 5.1 and I can't work with dbs with the 5.5,
which is so readily available? Growing frustrated in Dallas. Please help this Texan and I'll give ya an oil well  :D

Or is there an easier db to use with Lazarus 1.0?

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Re: Lazarus1.0 and MySQL
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 05:04:34 am »
I downloaded mysql5.1 and tried to install it (debian file) and it gives me an error dependency. The thing is, I've never installed MySQL on this OS before. I do see where it has some MySQL files...so how do I get rid of them to install the MySQL 5.1?
Mint is based on Ubuntu, so you can use Ubuntu method for this (synaptic, apt-get, whatever).
Lazarus only goes up to MySQL 5.1 and I can't work with dbs with the 5.5, which is so readily available?
Depends on your version, mine (trunk about a week ago) got 5.5 component available and AFAIK 6.0 is also ready.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 01:10:26 am »
There are several threads about mysql and its incompatibilities on the forum. The end conclusion is often simply to avoid mysql if you can, or be conservative with versions.

We can't release a new binding till we know it is compatible, and we only release once in a while. 2.6.2 will have mysql 5.5 connection

BigChimp

• Add to the wiki - it's free ;)
    • FPCUp, PaperTiger scanning and other open source projects
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 09:20:13 am »
Or is there an easier db to use with Lazarus 1.0?

I'd look into Firebird (my personal choice) or PostgreSQL.
Firebird: can be embedded as well (file-based, no need to install a server)
PostgreSQL: very well-known/used database. Good documentation.
Both are fine databases with complete SQL support, much more permissive licenses than MySQL as well as more stable drivers.
Want quicker answers to your questions? Read http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#What_is_the_correct_way_to_ask_questions_in_the_forum.3F

Open source including papertiger OCR/PDF scanning:
https://bitbucket.org/reiniero

Lazarus trunk+FPC trunk x86, Windows x64 unless otherwise specified

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 12:20:14 pm »
I'd look into Firebird (my personal choice) or PostgreSQL.
Firebird: can be embedded as well (file-based, no need to install a server)
PostgreSQL: very well-known/used database. Good documentation.
Both are fine databases with complete SQL support, much more permissive licenses than MySQL as well as more stable drivers.
For small amount of data (<10000) I'll pick SQLite3 which is file-based, embeddable and requires no server at all.

reneve59

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 02:20:22 am »
If you have not solved your problem yet, I have applications developed using Lazarus 1.0.2, FPC 2.6.0, and ZeosLib 7.0 that access a remote MySQL 5.5 database without problems.

Also installed MySQL 5.x on Linux (Fedora 17, Linux Mint 13, Centos 5.8, Centos 6.2) and Windows 7 without problems.

What kind of dependency error are you getting when installing MySQL?

Regards

TinyPortal © 2005-2018