Recent

Author Topic: How do I change the IDE font on OSX? (Note : NOT editor font!)  (Read 3832 times)

CephasAtheos

How do I change the IDE font on OSX? (Note : NOT editor font!)
« on: September 27, 2012, 10:10:27 am »
G'day everyone,

How do I change the font (size and/or face) in the IDE of Lazarus? Note : I'm not talking about the editor interface, I've got that sorted just fine. This is the text in the Object Inspector, inside all the huge floppy menus, option dialogs, and so on. I assume this is controlled by OS X, it seems that the menu font is "inherited" somehow, but this needs to be changed wherever possible.

I know it's possible to do exactly this if you're using the gtk UI by modifying an .ini file in your project directory, but that doesn't seem to be possible for OSX. (OK, it's not really an "ini" file in Gnome, but the concept is the same...)

At the moment, a large amount of my very limited (13") Macbook Pro screen is wasted, and I'd like to recapture more real estate. To put it in actual figures, approximately 57% of the screen is taken up with title bars, inspector windows, and so on - and that means I spend more time scrolling than selecting, especially when I'm designing or debugging.

On the other hand, on my Win7 development desktop (3200 x 1250), I'd like the menus and all the rest of the UI to be at least 2 or 3 points larger, I can barely read the text without leaning forward.

I realise that some of the IDE graphical objects may also need to be changed to adapt to a smaller font, (can anyone confirm this?), but I'm prepared to make those changes if possible with my skillset.

Thanks for any pointers or suggestions where to make the changes needed. At least if we can see the font size change, it will be a start, then we can tackle the rest of the UI if needed.

Cheers,
Pete
Data isn't information. Information isn't knowledge. Knowledge isn't wisdom.

IndianaJones

Re: How do I change the IDE font on OSX? (Note : NOT editor font!)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 12:51:15 pm »

Hi Cephas,

Here is the bug tracker number and the explanation about OI font problem.
Regards

CephasAtheos

Re: How do I change the IDE font on OSX? (Note : NOT editor font!)
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 05:01:06 pm »
Thanks again, Indy. Mate, you have the patience of a saint! I couldn't wait for 3 years and 5 months with no option in sight!  :o

I do understand that we're asking the OS to handle all the drawing and rendering for those complex controls, but I'm really surprised that no-one's been able to try anything out. Don't get me wrong, I love Helvetica, just not 12-point Helvetica all over my screen. It's almost as bad as Lucida Grande or whatever it is...

And I'm equally sure this level of configuration is beyond my programming capabilities. But I do agree that it should be tried.
Data isn't information. Information isn't knowledge. Knowledge isn't wisdom.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018