Recent

Author Topic: Ubuntu 12.04  (Read 12174 times)

ophansom

Ubuntu 12.04
« on: May 11, 2012, 01:42:33 pm »
I have lazarus 0.9.30.2-2 and fpc 2.4.4 installed on Ubuntu.

I have just upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04 and larazus has become unusable.

To keep it simple, I open a new project and place a button on the blank form. I go to the Property tag of the Object Inspector and change the caption. I then want to us the Event tag to write some OnClick code but the Object inspector is frozen. I can create and change the properties of further buttons etc but I cannot enter events for any of them.

I'm a newbie on Lazarus but in the past I had a fair deal of experience of programming with Delphi up to Version 4. I don't think I'm doing anything stupid but you never know!

Any advice would be welcome.

BigChimp

• Add to the wiki - it's free ;)
    • FPCUp, PaperTiger scanning and other open source projects
Re: Ubuntu 12.04
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 02:26:43 pm »
Perhaps this helps:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_release_version_for_Ubuntu#Unity
... don't run Ubuntu myself anymore though, switched to Debian...
Want quicker answers to your questions? Read http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#What_is_the_correct_way_to_ask_questions_in_the_forum.3F

Open source including papertiger OCR/PDF scanning:
https://bitbucket.org/reiniero

Lazarus trunk+FPC trunk x86, Windows x64 unless otherwise specified

mdalacu

• dmSimpleApps
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 03:00:10 pm »
Just restart the ide... something to do with GTK3 ....

braximo

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 03:19:05 am »
have you tried installing 0.09.30.2 within the Ubuntu software center? Im also trying to run my lazarus on 12.04 but am having difficulties at the moment.
Ubuntu 16.04 Lazarus 1.6

ophansom

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 01:11:11 pm »
Thank you mdalacu! Your tip to use file/restart enabled me to get a 'Hello World' program working with two buttons and a Label. Thanks also to my two other respondents.

I have since installed the up-to-date versions of Free Pascal (2.6.0-1) and Lazarus (0.9.30.4-0) using Synaptic and with some final help from 'Environment/Rescan FPC Source Directory' which got me back to the same problem as before but with the updated program and IDE.

I then reverted from Ubuntu's Unity to the Gnome user interface and since then it has all worked properly. I don't know whether this is cause and effect but it's what happened and it might help someone else.

jkorten

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 02:43:53 pm »
I have now had to resort to Windows for my Lazarus work. :-(

The windowing appears to be broken. If I click on the "events" tab in the object inspector it takes me to the first property instead and none of the other tabs are available.

I added a package file (spdo serial interface) and rebuilt the IDE. So perhaps there is something problematic there. I will uninstall and do a plain lazarus install instead just to verify. But there is definitely something broken with this version.

:'(

jkorten

Update Re: Ubuntu 12.04
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 03:35:17 pm »
OK I tried a fresh unstall under unity and no joy.

Then I installed gnome and restarted my computer thinking this was a windowing problem. Again same problem. Once you click on the object inspector once, then go click on another object on your form, then back to the object inspector, you are toast. There is no navigation available on the object inspector.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 01:54:07 am »
Simple solution: install KDE and use that instead of Unity/Gnome :P
It works totally fine with no problems here on my Kubuntu

mdalacu

• dmSimpleApps
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 07:57:45 am »
Unfortunately the problem is affecting, not only the IDE but, also the resulting applications (GTK).
This problem must be corrected soon because Ubuntu is the most predominant linux platform and Lazarus should work perfectly on this.
What can we do to help because my coding skills does not include anything related to solvning this problem.. :-\
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 08:00:47 am by mdalacu »

chor

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 04:49:37 pm »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018