Recent

Author Topic: Big news: Start of Carbon widgetset  (Read 11448 times)

Phil H.

Big news: Start of Carbon widgetset
« on: January 15, 2006, 04:53:15 am »
You can now create very simple Carbon-based apps (forms and buttons). Here are the instructions:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/Carbon_Interface

If you don't have SVN installed, you can still compile the Carbon interface units included with recent Lazarus snapshots. Create a Lazarus folder under /Users/<username>/ and copy the LCL folder from /usr/local/share/lazarus to it.

Be sure to install a recent snapshot. I worked with the 20060111 snapshot.

This is huge for Mac developers! Many thanks are due to Mattias for all of his work on getting the Carbon widgetset started.

-Phil

Anonymous

RE: Big news: Start of Carbon widgetset
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 10:34:33 pm »
I've tested compile it folowing the link, ussing the IDE, with no result... errors everywhere :( how did you compile it?

Thanks!!!

Anonymous

RE: Big news: Start of Carbon widgetset
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 01:06:29 am »
Got it, thanks.. its needed to compile lcl first, then compile carbon.. Cool.. i got TextBox, Button and Check Box working NATIVE !!! UHOO!!! :D

kalle_19

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 11:53:20 am »
Sorry for the bump, but i didn't wanted to start a whole new topic. Anyhow, is there any progress made on the carbon interface? Memo and listbox are two components that are very important, any chance they will be implented soon? :)

tnx  :)

Phil

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 06:02:20 pm »
Quote from: "kalle_19"
Sorry for the bump, but i didn't wanted to start a whole new topic. Anyhow, is there any progress made on the carbon interface? Memo and listbox are two components that are very important, any chance they will be implented soon? :)

I don't believe they have been implemented yet.

In the meantime, if you need to create a native OS X app, have you tried the Qt widgetset? It's much further along than the Carbon widgetset.

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Qt_Interface

There's a link on the above page to Mac-specific info:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Qt_Interface_Mac

kalle_19

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 08:43:21 pm »
Well i will give it a shot. It's just that you need to install a extra program before running my program...

Phil

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 11:09:28 pm »
Well i will give it a shot. It's just that you need to install a extra program before running my program...

It's possible to put the Qt interface framework inside your app bundle folder as a "local" framework, thereby eliminating the need to install the framework separately.

The advantage of an external framework is that it can be used by multiple programs. Also, installing an updated framework "updates" all apps that use it. Carbon is a framework, so when you install an OS X update, Carbon usually gets updated, and all apps that use Carbon automatically use the latest Carbon, without relinking.

When you consider the small size of the .dmg installer (4 MB) and the resulting installed footprint (12 MB), you realize that Qt is a work of art. Compare to GTK libraries, which take up 116 MB on my OS X 10.4 system, much more if you made the mistake of including gtk-doc when you installed it with fink's apt-get.

Thanks.

kalle_19

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 07:01:20 pm »
Doesn't QT take a little bit more performance than carbon due "translation" QT -> Carbon?

felipemdc

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 08:34:50 pm »
That is a over simplification of a complex problem.

What is speed on a GUI application? Painting time?

The screen updates at 60 Hz in most cases, so any painting faster then that isn´t useful. Painting is usually a memory operation. Either using the RAM, or using the Video Card memory, involving huge Matrixes, so the minuscle time of calling functions (which involves mostly POP, PUSH, CALL and RET operations on x86 ) is nothing compared with the time to access memory.

Phil

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 09:33:00 pm »
Doesn't QT take a little bit more performance than carbon due "translation" QT -> Carbon?

Have you tried GTK2 yet? Now that's slow. Qt is very fast by comparison. Do some tests and see if you can detect any differences in speed from Carbon. The only thing that matters is if you or your users can perceive the difference in start up and display speed. If you can't then it doesn't matter if Qt is "slower" than Carbon.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018