Recent

Author Topic: Unable to get it to install...  (Read 13755 times)

MarkRHolbrook

Unable to get it to install...
« on: January 13, 2006, 05:15:58 am »
I downloaded the three snapshots.  Installed them.

I followed the instructions on getting fink...  When I run

sudo fink install gdk-pixbuf gtk+ gtk+-data gtk+-shlibs gtk-doc gtkglarea gtk-engines

It complains:

Failed: Can't resolve dependency "libgl" for package "gtkglarea-1.2.3-13" (no matching packages/versions found)

X11 is installed.  When I tried to install the version pointed to in the instructions in these forums it said, newer software was already installed.

So what am I missing?

M

mattias

• Administrator
    • http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org
RE: Unable to get it to install...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 09:55:18 am »
Where did you find the instruction, that you should install gtkglarea?

You don't need it.

Anonymous

RE: Unable to get it to install...
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 04:42:25 pm »
Well there are quite a few install instructions around here... I found several links, one of them giving a step by step etc.  I think the Lazarus team would do well to setup and maintain a set of install documents.

So I don't need gtkglarea... Ok I ran with:

sudo fink install gdk-pixbuf gtk+ gtk+-data gtk+-shlibs gtk-doc gtk-engines

This time I get:

Failed: Can't resolve dependency "x11" for package "gtk+-1.2.10-50" (no matching packages/versions found)

X11 is DEFINITELY installed and there.  If I try to install X11 I get warnings that it exists and what is installed is newer than what I'm trying to install.

This is really frustrating as I have found with stuff I did in the Linux world...  People that do these wonderful jobs putting together really great freeware programs like FreePascal, Lazarus and others ALL fall short in documenting EXACTLY how to get it installed and working.

All I can say is that is hurting the efforts.  I'm a programmer by trade but having to spend HOURS looking around for how to resolve things and fix things that should be a dirt simple install process is what makes projects like this doomed to fail in the long run.

I know my comments will piss off a number of you that work hard at this but be real guys... Getting this stuff installed should NOT be that hard.

At this point I have a brand new powerbook g4 running 10.4.4 OS X and everything works.  Including X11.  I'm able to run some various X11 utilities no problem.  Yet I cannot install the Lazarus IDE.  I did get FreePascal installed and it compiles test programs nicely.  But I have had zero luck with Lazarus IDE after about 4 hours of trying.

I don't quite no where to turn and frankly I worry about corrupting something on this PB which I need for work.  So unless someone can point me down a simple path to get the right things installed I will have to abandon my efforts to try and use this IDE for actual work.  Thats really a shame.  I hope someone here can help.

Mark

Phil H.

Re: RE: Unable to get it to install...
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 10:35:19 pm »
Quote from: "Anonymous"

This time I get:

Failed: Can't resolve dependency "x11" for package "gtk+-1.2.10-50" (no matching packages/versions found)

Mark,

I'm not at my Mac right now, but your fink command looks okay. It appears as though it's retrieving the correct file versions for 10.4.

Do you have the XCode tools installed? I assume so since you were able to use the FPC compiler.

I'm running 10.3.9 and everything went smoothly with that version of fink, even over a phone modem.

I know folks like fink, but it sure would be nice if there were a Lazarus-specific .dmg with the GTK /sw/lib files that we could download for 10.3 or 10.4 to simplify not only installation on developer systems, but also on user systems. I was able to get a Lazarus-compiled GUI app to run on a user system by installing X11 and copying over all the /sw/lib/*.dylib files, but these really need to be in a .dmg.

Is it possible that there's something wrong with the fink site today? Has anyone out there successfully used the 10.4 version of fink?

-Phil

felipemdc

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 04:40:22 am »

This time I get:

X11 is DEFINITELY installed and there.  If I try to install X11 I get warnings that it exists and what is installed is newer than what I'm trying to install.

I have never used fink, but every package install program I have ever seen has an option to ignore the dependencies just for cases like this where you have the dependency installed and it is still complaining.

On Linux I would do a: rpm -Uvh --nodeps <packge name>

There must be something very similar with fink

Anonymous

RE: Re: RE: Unable to get it to install...
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 07:51:57 am »
Ok... I got it working!  I did a fresh install of Apple X11 then re-ran the fink command.  This time fink did TONS more stuff and took almost 5 minutes to complete!

I then tried to run Lazarus... "cannot open display".  I tried startlazurus.  Same deal.

So I went and ran the X11.app and started it from xTerm... It worked!  Looks REALLY nice!

Phil H.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Unable to get it to install...
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 09:57:15 pm »
That's good news.

You can drag and drop the X11 app onto your dock to have a one-click way of starting X11.

To simplify starting Lazarus, in X11, choose Applications | Customize, then click Add Item. Under Name enter Lazarus, under Command enter the following:

open -a /usr/local/share/lazarus/lazarus

Click Done to close. Now you can start Lazarus from X11 simply by choosing Applications | Lazarus.

-Phil

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 04:38:58 am »
Quote from: "mattias"
Where did you find the instruction, that you should install gtkglarea?

You don't need it.

If gtkglarea isn't needed, maybe this should be changed:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/Installing_Lazarus#Installing_Free_Pascal_under_Mac_OS_X

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 05:45:57 am »
Thats kind of what I hinted at above... To make this less confusing the install docs should be updated.

Thanks for the idea Phil!

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 06:11:31 am »
Phil,

Not sure why but that command doesn't work either from the application window or from xterm

Phil H.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Unable to get it to install...
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 02:04:16 pm »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
Phil,

Not sure why but that command doesn't work either from the application window or from xterm

What error message are you getting?

The open command is the normal way of starting programs from the command line with OS X.

-pjh

Anonymous

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Unable to get it to install...
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 08:37:45 am »
Hi,

I am using Delphi on a regular basis - mainly because i'm not "really" a programmer. I use it a lot for number crunching and as such pascal is my tool-box. Only recently i got a Mac and I am not very Unix (or Mac) savvy so I haven't had any luck here. I got Lazarus up and running on my office PC. (It looks really really good btw). The win-install was just a click away and worked flawless.

A step by step instruction (Lazarus install OS X for dummies) would be the thing for me.

Kind regards

Thor

TinyPortal © 2005-2018