Recent

Author Topic: Should TMemo have property FileName: String?  (Read 14836 times)

KpjComp

Re: Should TMemo have property FileName: String?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 08:47:34 pm »
It's just too cool not to want to see it work

Yeah, it's pretty neat.  It's known as an Interposer Class, so I can't take credit for inventing it.  ;D

@martin_fr comment logically make sense.  But both Lazarus & Delphi take unit scope into account when streaming, so the correct class does indeed get initialized.

I used to find Interposer Classes handy when testing the development of new components, I could visual place some descendant controls on the Form, do my modifications and see them at runtime without having to register them with the component palette.

Avishai

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 09:06:58 pm »
I don't like creating very specialized components.  Sometimes that the best choice, but you can get carried away and end up with a lot of controls on the pallet and none of them do what you need for you next project.  I prefer using base components and adding whatever code to get what I need.  An example is a 'TCurrencyEdit'.  I prefer a TEdit and add the code I need in the OnKeyPress and some Validation.  I also borrow code from other projects so I don't end up rewritng the same thing over and over.  I think this is the way most programmers work.

But the method you showed me opens up many doors I didn't know were there.  I've already added it to my 'CodeSnippets' file, and I made sure to add your name as my source.  Credit due is Credit due. :)
Lazarus Trunk / fpc 2.6.2 / Win32

KpjComp

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 09:36:29 pm »
I don't like creating very specialized components.

Yes I agree, it can become never ending otherwise.

But the method you showed me opens up many doors

No problem..  :)

I've only a couple of warnings when using Interposer Classes.

1.  Be careful of overuse, as somebody else looking at your code might get well confused.  %)

2.  Always make sure you Interposer class descends from the same class your Interposing, what I mean by this, don't do things like  TMemo = class(TEdit)  etc.  It will compile fine, but your likely to get lots of RunTime errors.

But for small extras like the one you required, I think Interposer classes are perfect.  As it keeps  the OOP paradigm.  Having arrays that add extra properties to other classes breaks this.

Stubborn

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 07:37:33 pm »
I am using an Array of TMemo and keeping track of the FileName for each TMemo became a problem.  So I extended TMemo with property FileName: String.  Problem solved. 

Extending it is easy, but shouldn't this property already be part of TMemo to begin with?  I haven't checked TSynEdit but I would think the same would apply there as well.  Any thoughts?

I would rather implement the Filename property in a TStringList descendant, so basically in the data. as you would basically just use a TMemo to represent the data: Memo.Strings.Assign(MyCustomStringClass) and when the Memo changes: ( MyCustomStringClass.Assign(Memo) ). Even if this example is not very efficient I think it's an error to blend Gui and data.

Avishai

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 07:54:47 pm »
Thanks Stubborn.  I am glad to get some feedback on this.  As for your suggestion, it would not be so easy for one of my projects.  I would have to create an array of TStringLists because I have as many as 8 TMemos in view at the same time.  It could be done, but it is easier with my extended TMemo.FileName. 

Code: [Select]
with Sender as TMemo do begin
  if FileName<>'' then
    Lines.LoadFromFile(FileName)
end;
Lazarus Trunk / fpc 2.6.2 / Win32

Stubborn

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 08:29:20 pm »
Thanks Stubborn.  I am glad to get some feedback on this.  As for your suggestion, it would not be so easy for one of my projects.  I would have to create an array of TStringLists because I have as many as 8 TMemos in view at the same time.  It could be done, but it is easier with my extended TMemo.FileName. 

Code: [Select]
with Sender as TMemo do begin
  if FileName<>'' then
    Lines.LoadFromFile(FileName)
end;

Quite clear...In the case you would have only a single editor for the Strings and maybe a "document selector", a specialized StringList would have been better.
But as you display all the documents at once...it's not worth...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:31:30 pm by Stubborn »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018