Recent

Author Topic: Stable database?  (Read 14708 times)

goodname

Re: Stable database?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 03:03:14 pm »
Actually I'm now moving all my database activity to mySQL. As you rightly say - thats what is mostly used on the net so thats the direction people need to move because (and frankly I dont like it myself) everything is moving "netwards" Any other way of doing business becomes unnecessarily complex and expensive. The truth is - almost any of them out there are probably capable of doing anything the majority of users need. Which to use is seldom based on capability lists these days.
Many web space providers support both MySQL and PostgreSQL. Have not tried it but think that SQLite is not that hard to use on a web site either.

However - its not for software developers to tell users what products to use. The software industry in general needs to learn it is not acceptable
to keep telling people they must "upgrade their browser" to see a simple web site - to upgrade this and upgrade that every five minutes.

Its their job to fulfill the needs of the user not the other way round. To stick with the example - to make sure their web site can be seen correctly with all browsers not to tell the user "tough luck get another browser".
A user can use what ever software they want to use. They should be aware of the development policies. A common source of this information is called software licenses.
Yes its hard work - and no I dont see what other people are doing. But if you choose to get into a line of work - be it free or paid for -
its your responsibility to either do it right - or to expect questions complaints and people voting with their feet. Users may spend
a lot of their time and money or resources on using these things and they have some right to expect that to be recognised by the developers.
Offering a product for public use whether for cash or for free creates a contract with benefits and responsibilities  on both sides.
So who is at fault in the case of MySQL support in Lazarus. The Lazarus developers are using the official client lib that comes with MySQL. This seams reasonable. Every time MySQL changes compatibility Lazarus has supported the new client lib. Looks like Lazarus is doing it's job. 
Software development can occur over periods of decades.
I'm using lazarus because of the dedicated and helpful support I've seen over a number of years and the product is the logical extension of what a compiler should be in my opinion- for the record I also do embedded C and assembler - I would like to be able to use a RAD for that work too. Delphi proved RAD works.  It provides what I - as a user - need from a compiler. Lazarus seems to be picking up the the dropped ball. I applaud and support that.
But my use is conditional on you providing what I want. Not what you say I should be using.

It goes without saying we are grateful to developers (and are happy to donate as appropriate or when asked) 
but the tail doesnt get to wag the dog. As far as I'm concerned - those days are over - and I think others are coming to that conclusion too.

On a lighter note - how about a poll of what dbms lazarus users use more than any other.
Then widen it to an internet-wide poll.
I suspect postgress will be very low in the charts despite high profile users. And interbase was stillborn anyway as far as I have seen.
I also suspect mySQL will score high in the numbers game and thats a key factor in choice.
A pole might be interesting. Don't think it would change Lazarus support for MySQL as it is the MySQL that keeps breaking things and Lazarus that is just keeping up.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 03:08:31 pm by goodname »

mdlueck

• Lueck Data Systems
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 03:29:27 pm »
Using Ubuntu and a lot of programs written by Lazarus and Mysql   do have a serious problem installing new version of Ubuntu... Just now I am fighting with not working programs using Mysql telling me - expected version 5.1, getting 5.5.

What versions of Ubuntu are you upgrading from / to? (Numbers please)

I see that 12.04 LTS has MySQL 5.5. So trying to upgrade to that version?

Certainly abandoning XYZ tool when upgrade challenges come is not a viable course of action.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 06:26:41 pm by mdlueck »
--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems
http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/

jack616

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 02:56:41 pm »
The first category, yes. The second: it depends on your license conditions.

A common misconception.
In all the licensing fetishes on the net very few people realise their true legal status - or lack of.
You would be suprised at how many licences are mostly invalid.

Your other points have validity too. but these things are seldom as simple as originally suggested is what
I was trying to get across - and it bothers me that people fairly new to the field could be put off
their best approach.

There are far too many computing decisions being made based on clever marketing and ignorance.

So who is at fault in the case of MySQL support in Lazarus.

It is not an issue of "fault" It is a case of what is a claimed capability. If you claim mySQL then you are obligated
to provide blanket mySQL. If you want to limit that to a specific subset - you just say that.
In the case of FPC/Lazarus - there is no issue I know of. The latest client is now supported. Presumably
so will the next. If not - then those of us using mySQL will stop using lazarus and go elsewhere.

I will repeat because there seems to be confusion and the point is key: It is NOT the job of developers to tell users what to use. It is the job of developers to fulfill the needs of users. 

I suggested a poll of dbase lazarus users because I thought that would be the most useful here.

I stand by my previous comments as a response.

JD

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 03:15:29 pm »
Firebird/PostgreSQL/SQLite
Windows - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe),
Linux Mint - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe)

mORMot; Zeos 8; SQLite, PostgreSQL & MariaDB; VirtualTreeView

BigChimp

• Add to the wiki - it's free ;)
    • FPCUp, PaperTiger scanning and other open source projects
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 03:27:28 pm »
The first category, yes. The second: it depends on your license conditions.

A common misconception.
In all the licensing fetishes on the net very few people realise their true legal status - or lack of.
You would be suprised at how many licences are mostly invalid.
Ah... so you know the jurisdiction I (and my users) are operating in as well as their impact on liability etc? Anyway, smells a bit like FUD. I'd be very surprised if the MIT or BSD licenses were invalid in any major jurisdiction..
I'll leave it at this, as it's hardly the original topic and we can agree to... talk it over over a couple of beers whenever we meet ;)

I will repeat because there seems to be confusion and the point is key: It is NOT the job of developers to tell users what to use. It is the job of developers to fulfill the needs of users. 
I won't repeat anything, it gets tiresome after a while if people only send but don't receive...
Want quicker answers to your questions? Read http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#What_is_the_correct_way_to_ask_questions_in_the_forum.3F

Open source including papertiger OCR/PDF scanning:
https://bitbucket.org/reiniero

Lazarus trunk+FPC trunk x86, Windows x64 unless otherwise specified

igorp45

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 10:36:01 pm »
Thank you guys a lot for recomendations. Having some obsolete Delphi literature in a basement I guess Firebird is the right one. Never the less - I am not able to google any free software or a script converting mysql dump to usable file for importing to the Firebird. Should I transfer my tables into CSV files and writing some program to fill Firebird tables or there is another easier way?

Regards

Igor

tkramer3

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 07:34:36 am »
I found a different solution for use with Kubuntu 12.04. Download the deb package libmysqlclient16 from

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=libmysqlclient16

I used the Ubuntu 11.10 (latest before 12.04) - AMD64 version. This is the version with which the Lazarus 5.1 component works. Install the package with dpkg -i libmysqlclient16.deb 8-) . I didn't get any dependency problems. then link /usr/lib/mysqlclient.so with:

# cd /usr/lib
# ln -s libmysqlclient.so.16.0.0 libmysqlclient.so

Now you can connect to 5.5 databases with the 5.1 component.

BigChimp

• Add to the wiki - it's free ;)
    • FPCUp, PaperTiger scanning and other open source projects
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 09:33:43 am »
Never the less - I am not able to google any free software or a script converting mysql dump to usable file for importing to the Firebird. Should I transfer my tables into CSV files and writing some program to fill Firebird tables or there is another easier way?
If you haven't already ;) Try googling for data pump tools. There are lots of them that allow transfer between databases... including some java ones that work with any jdbc database (sqlworkbench/j, liquibase...)
Want quicker answers to your questions? Read http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#What_is_the_correct_way_to_ask_questions_in_the_forum.3F

Open source including papertiger OCR/PDF scanning:
https://bitbucket.org/reiniero

Lazarus trunk+FPC trunk x86, Windows x64 unless otherwise specified

motaz

• http://code.sd
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2012, 10:07:46 am »
I'm using Firebird since 2002. No problems, no conflicts, no crash, with different operating systems: Windows 98, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, Ubuntu from 9.x to 12.04, Mint, Fedora, and Mandrake.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018